Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,309 times

Advertisements

I have lived in worked in 16 states including california, texas. I am computer engineer. I have now lived in Germantown for 14 months. Everytime i am Milestone Shopping center i have seen the rudest, most arrogant people in the US. They walk right across the parking without disregard to anyone who is driving even at slow speed limit, they park in front of stores on the fire lane all the time, while in the supermarkets they speed around corners almost hitting you, they yell at you in line when you have problems scanning a item, they leave the carts all the time in front of handicap spaces. The homeowners association are out of control they are so picky. I have told me business i cannot put with this i thought when i lived in Westlake Village that was bad. This far worse. My company is considering relocating to the North Carolina. Mostly alot of employees say taxes are to high, road cogestion out of control. Never see police car around and they have car windows broken tires flatten, beer cans left on bike paths, car racing around at 2-3am, and in neighborhoods of houses valued 400-550k. Police say just go to internet police site and report your loss. I pay high tax and i expect to see a cruiser. I think they hide in commerical area and chat on there mobile laptops. Just last month a 15 year girl walking home at dusk was robbed of her purse and thrown to the ground. 2 people called 911 before this happen to report a individual hanging around the street corner no officer responsded and when the girl was robbed it was that same individual and took the police 12-14 minutes and the guy ran off to who knows where and no dogs sent to search. I pay highest taxes more than i did in texas, california and chicago. At least i saw the cruiser once in while there. And with revenue of the speed cameras more cops should be patrolling the neighborhoods that the best police detterent not for us to pay for private security. Our company moves in at the end of 2011 1,250 job will be gone and our building lease is up than. Company has already given us time to go find a place and help us with getting our house sold. I cant wait and more companies are leaving by 2015. I am glad i sold my house i am in one year lease on a apartment starting january. My salary is going up when i relocate. I heard the prediction is 20-30,000 professional jobs will be leaving montgomery county by 2015. Average commute from Germantown to Rockville is 47 minutes during rush hour each way Average drive during non rush hour is 18 minutes. If i were to commute to Bethesda from Germantown average commute is 72 minutes each way non rush hour 29 minutes to bethesda. There in no end is site of them fixing it and they are building 40,000 new houses this year along 270. I calculate in 2014 the Germantown commute to Rockvil will go to 62 minutes in 2014. So move here if you like sitting in a car breathing in exhaust. My carolina commute to my facility will be 20 minutes est and it will be same distance from germantown to chevy chase maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 05:33 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,957 times
Enjoy!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:11 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Couple things:

LOL...at the tiny bit of jobs your company provides leaving. This area is absolutely booming right now with jobs falling off trees. More jobs come to D.C. monthly than any other metro area in the country. The population growth is growing at sunbelt city rates which is absurd for a densely populated northeastern city metro area. D.C. is the richest and most educated metro area in the country. This is the promise land so you can leave if you want and be replaced by 1,000 people when you do leave. DC Metro ridership is at 1,044,400 people a day for a reason. New York and Washington D.C. are the only subways in the U.S. with over 1,000,000 riders a day for a reason. This is a major metro area with extremely high density and people are going to come in all shapes and sizes as well as attitudes. You should have found a different neighborhood. If you like a slow country lifestyle with forests all over, then it is probably a good move for you. It only takes me 15 minutes to get to Bethesda on the metro during rush hour.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-14-2010 at 02:25 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 02:33 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Gaithersburg Developments alone: LOL...at Montgomery County skipping a beat! You might want to add the jobs added to the county when doing job forecasts!

Crownfarm Mixed Use development: (Under Construction)

-180 acre development
-2,250 residential units
-320,000 square feet of commercial
-6 distinct urban neighborhoods
-8 story high rises in some neighborhoods
-20 story high rises in the urban core
-CCT Light rail stop

The City of Gaithersburg

Watkins Mill Town Center Mixed use development: (Under Construction)

-200 acre development
-20 story high rises in Urban Core
-3 distinct urban neighborhoods
-millions of square feet of office and retail space
-Marc and CCT light rail stop

Watkins Mill Town Center Homepage

Great Seneca Life Science City (Approved)

-4,360 acres development
-17.5 million square feet of development
-9,000 residential units mainly in high rises
-52,500 new jobs
-3 CCT light rail stops

Council approves ‘Science City'

Kentlands Urban Village Downtown CBD: (Approved)

-12 story high rises
-1 CCT light rail stop

http://www.gaithersburgmd.gov/Docume...st_final_2.pdf
http://www.gaithersburgmd.gov/Docume...dist_final.pdf

With all these developments being build in west Gaithersburg next to eat other to complement the washingtonian CBD, Gaithersburg is going to be very different once they are all built in the next few years.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,997 times
Default Moving from Southern Ca to work in Chevy Chase

Question is where to relocate my wife and 6 yr old son. We are considering purchasing a home as rents seem out of control. Can you advise on the best areas for schools, reasonable commute and home prices?

Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerless View Post
Can you advise on the best areas for schools, reasonable commute and home prices?
^ that combination is expensive me thinks. Rent first, get to know the area and the buy, my 2 cents...

Here's some info on MD public schools... MD Public Schools

http://mocorealestate.com/schools/

Last edited by tonyc; 05-26-2011 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerless View Post
Question is where to relocate my wife and 6 yr old son. We are considering purchasing a home as rents seem out of control. Can you advise on the best areas for schools, reasonable commute and home prices?
What do you consider reasonable for housing cost? That will help narrow down your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland