Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Maryland's eastern shore southern?
Yes 5 35.71%
No 9 64.29%
Partially 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2011, 12:15 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times

Advertisements

Maryland is a mid-Atlantic state that is broken up by the Chesapeake Bay into a western shore and an eastern shore. The culture of Maryland's eastern shore is significantly different in many ways from the much more populated stretch of Maryland from Washington, D.C. to Baltimore.

However, is Maryland's eastern shore part of the southern U.S. culturally?

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-17-2011 at 01:34 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 03:29 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Not sure though it has similar characteristics. To me though the Eastern Shore of MD and VA is almost a distinct cultural region, to me similar to Appalachian as far as more rural areas go. Not southern per se to me more unique. Both have developed and maintained a somewhat unique identity based on their isolation, the Eastern shore probably moreso but also a smaller area. What is interesting is this (these including the VA eastern shore or prbably better described Delmarva) is within 1-2 hours of Philly/Baltimore/DC. I honestly find the area pretty interesting and does have some major dichotomys (St Micheals, Ocena City, Rehobeth vs the small towns and chicken farms that dot the space). I want to explore more this area, especially along the Chesepeake

Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 AM

612 posts, read 843,495 times
I've heard that the Eastern Shore has had/have sentiments of seceding from the good Old Line State

Old 11-07-2013, 11:06 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Eastern Shore definitely is quite the anomaly here in this state.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:35 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Eastern Shore definitely is quite the anomaly here in this state.
Not really. Calvert, Charles and St. Mary's still all have Southern traits, as does the part of Prince George's you're originally from.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:06 AM

612 posts, read 843,495 times
So what do people do in the rural areas of Maryland, as far as national sports? Just follow college sports? The usual DC/BMore teams? I guess the Washington Bullets are indeed in the correct division in the Southeast, instead of the Atlantic

Old 11-08-2013, 05:57 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,967 times
I think rural MD is one of the more " culturally southern" areas in the country. Way more so than FL or most other areas right off the I-95 corridor below MD. To me, thats a good thing

Old 11-08-2013, 09:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I think rural MD is one of the more "culturally southern" areas in the country.
People tend to confuse rural with "southern". Everywhere.

You don't have to be in the south to be rural or to be country.
Just as you don't have to be urban to be urbane.

As to the MD Eastern Shore...
it has a long storied past of slavery, plantations and confederate sympathy.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:58 AM

698 posts, read 1,051,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Yea definitely. They have some dumb rednecks there and blacks have as much possibility for advancement as they do in Mississippi. Its a very depressing place to visit, Marylanders look at it as a shame; then they drive onto Ocean City for their vacation.

there are several different cultural climates and lifestyles on the eastern shore, depending on what area you're in. generalizing about it is not accurate nor realistic. talbot county- easton, st. michaels, oxford is probably the wealthiest area as well as the cultural center. many retirees from the western shore as well as other states live there and some have purchased one to two million dollar water front property. walter cronkite owned property there for many years and former v.p. cheney currently owns property there as well. there is a very vibrant arts scene in easton and st michaels with writer's groups, art studios and local painters who exibit frequently.
queen anne's county- stevenson. queenstown, chester- is more of a commuter area for baltimore and annapolis, and has many condos, townhomes, as well as weekend housing. also there are a number of very good restaurants in these areas as well.
dorchester county- cambridge, east new market- is more "old shore" but still is working to achieve a revitalization of "downtown" with shops, restaurants, and galleries.
wicomico- salisbury primarily- is the largest town and the industrial heart of the shore. salisbury university is there and has a number of musical and drama events throughout the year. salisbury, once you're off of rts. 50 and 13 has many beautiful neighborhoods, and a low key lifestyle close to the beach, which appeals to many families.

there are other very culturally alive areas i could mention-chestertown, centreville- but i have mentioned those with which i'm most familiar. i've taught classes at both washingotn college in chestertown and salisbury university in salisbury. both experiences were positive ones with intereting, diverse students.

it seems redundant to have to say all geographic areas have their problems. but, the "eastern shore" cannot be categorized so superficially, and remains an area that continues to attract new residents for its uniqueness and distinctive quality of life.

catsy girl

Old 11-09-2013, 10:54 AM

631 posts, read 1,395,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
So what do people do in the rural areas of Maryland, as far as national sports? Just follow college sports? The usual DC/BMore teams? I guess the Washington Bullets are indeed in the correct division in the Southeast, instead of the Atlantic
Eastern Shore follows the Baltimore Ravens and Washington Redskins...depending on how old you are as most older folks follow the Skins...The follow the O's and the Wizards...

Some are following the Nationals as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland