Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 7,215 times

Advertisements

Could anyone give me a point or two what should I do? I live in a rowhome and I have this family living next door. We are cool with them initially for about 3 years ++. They have 2 pitbulls living with them and the kid. We have no problem with them at all up to the one day, one of their pitbull died of illness and they bought another pitbull puppy. First of all, they are not the type of person that train their dogs. I believe their dog is not even house trained (based on observation on the dogs for first 3 years)

So, the puppy grown up and he is about 1 + years old and they constantly keeping their dogs out in the back porch. The dog (puppy) will bark at anything or everything that move, even bark at me when I walking in or out the house. They always leave the dogs out for hours something from day to night when they at work. They don't always clean after the dogs either. There will be poo out there laying in the back porch for days in the hot summer. Also, they always leave their dogs out in the morning around 6am-7am before they go to work..They often leave them out there for 30min-1 hour before but they always bark like crazy for 5-10min straight..always waking me up in the wee hours. I work late hours.

So, after asking them a few times to bring the dog back into the house when it bark excessively, we finally printed a letter stating the noise ordinance. From that point onward, we have no communication with them anymore. This is like a year ago.

Also the neighbor always working on his house and his broken car in the back, blasting out music all the time. He is a contractor and he doesn't work all the time, so he is at home a lot doing hammering and leaving the dogs out and playing music loud.

We have reported them to the code enforcement etc...but they are always back to the routine. What should I do????

For instance, just like yesterday, when I am home (off), trying to do homework for school and he is at home hammering stuffs as usual and leave his dogs out barking. I went out and yell at the dogs and he yelled back at me that he is working on his house. Then he has the radio blasting and pointing to my door. I went outside and ask him if he could turn down the radio down but his respond is "i would but you are been ***** so I am not going to" etc..I called the police.

I am asking too much? I can't even use the back porch anymore if the dogs out there. What is my next step? I already call the code enforcement, they got cited, they keep doing the same darn thing and the whole process keep repeating itself.
Should I get a lawyer???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 05:29 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpme2010 View Post
What should I do????
I've been there, and I sympathize. About all I can suggest is to get a whistle that only dogs can hear. Blow it whenever the dogs bark, and try to train them.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Should I get a lawyer???
I don't think a lawyer could do anything more than you are already doing by reporting to the code enforcement office and police. My only other suggestion is to get earplugs or consider moving.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 7,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I don't think a lawyer could do anything more than you are already doing by reporting to the code enforcement office and police. My only other suggestion is to get earplugs or consider moving.
I mean, if the code enforcement is not doing anything and money is not a big deal to me for them very yes.

Can I sue them in small claim court for the max amount whatever? I have a plenty of video recording of the dog barkings, loud music etc, unsanitary back porch.......

i am very desperate now!

Last edited by Helpme2010; 11-16-2011 at 01:43 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 03:28 PM

244 posts, read 573,091 times
If they are leaving the dogs out for hours and you think they are being neglected in anyway, you can call animal control. I've had this issue with a neighbor and have called the police, animal control and gone to their door at 2am when their dog was outside barking. All you can do it document and do what you have been doing. Maybe talk to your other neighbors and see if they have an issue? Row homes are very close together so chances are, someone else is bothered too...you could send or call an authority together to give more strength to your issue. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:42 PM

44 posts, read 183,467 times
I wonder if you could get the dogs to bark when THEY are sleeping?

Frankly, I wouldn't want to have to bother. People like this rarely change. I'd move to a quieter place. If you own and cannot sell then rent another place temporarily and rent your place to someone who is noisier than them.

Maybe they will move first?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Can I sue them in small claim court for the max amount whatever?
Here's a Findlaw article that says you can sue neighbors in small claims court about noise: What to Do About a Neighbor's Noise - FAQs - FindLaw

It might give you a few other ideas. BTW, is there a neighborhood association? Or a neighbor who will support you in a legal battle?

Old 11-21-2011, 02:21 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
I think a lot of you guys are missing an important point: the noisy guy is the OP's NEIGHBOR. Why do you want to start an argument with the person who lives right next to you for no reason?

I would call and try to talk to the neighbor again. It may be a little difficult since the police etc have already been involved. Maybe you need to explain to him that you're a student...etc, and you are under a lot of stress. Otherwise...suck it up and try not to be bitter or angry.

My advice:
1. I concur w/ getting a dog whistle. You can probably buy one in Petsmart or online.

2. Be happy you have a dog next door, as it probably increases the safety of your own house.

3. Get earplugs. These worked wonders for me when I worked at night. Put them on while you're studying. Problem solved.

4. Remember these feelings the next time you're tempted to live in a townhouse...you either need to be open-minded enough to live with other people's noise, pets etc...IMO deal with it unless it is hazardous. You'll be a lot healthier mentally.

5. Make Friends with the Dogs - Since they're there. Maybe you can play with the pitbull (shudders) puppy and get to know it a little so at least it may bark less. Buying it treats (like a small baby or something LOL KIDDING). My neighbor has 3 dogs, and one used to bark at me incessantly. It apparently only wanted my love and approval, and after getting to knock me down and get petted, it now only barks at strangers.

6. If you can see the dog poo in his yard, I personally think you could do a better job of minding your own business...but you can either put up a fence, OR plant some suitable shrubs between the property. Local nurseries sell arborvitae, juniper etc which may be a good way to block the sight. As a bonus, the dog poo can fertilize your new shrubs.

7. Appreciate that you have a handy neighbor who may be in a position to help you out someday, and you have free 'security' for your place.
Honestly, I think a big dispute with a person who lives right next door could get ugly. If you think the dog issue is a pain now...Can you imagine how bad it could be if you and the neighbor end up as deadly enemies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland