Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 07:18 PM

5 posts, read 7,592 times

Advertisements

​I'm a young, single male professional who works hard, has lived mostly in Pennsylvania but also in Europe, and is finally starting to settle down (at least for the next few years). I'm moving to the Ft. Meade, Maryland area in the spring and I'm looking for an area to live close by with things to do and other young professionals like myself. I'm looking for a place to rent and not buy at least until I know the area a little better. It's difficult to describe quite what I'm looking for and understand I will most likely need to make concessions on getting everything I want but I'll do my best. Apartment wise I’d prefer newer construction, 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom or a studio are fine, but more rooms would obviously be acceptable. As far as a budget, I’d prefer to spend $1,200 or less per month but I am slightly flexible to an extent if I need to be.

​I like city life without being directly in the heart of it. I like the feeling of having everything I need being close by but don't want to feel the need to fight for a parking spot when I come home late at night. I'm very aware of my surroundings once I live somewhere but still don't want to feel like I need to look over my shoulder every time I'm walking down the street at night so obviously an area with a lower crime rate would be preferred. I do not mind driving a little bit to work each morning and around a 30 minute commute to work every morning is fine by me. I've been told by friends that the Columbia, Ellicot City, Laurel, Annapolis, and DC areas would suit my needs the best but when I ask why everyone seems to have the same answer of "Oh people I know live there and it sounds like what you're looking for." I would definitely prefer to have places with good food, nice little restaurants (not chain restaurants), smaller bars with a lot of different microbrews and microbreweries near by. Walking distance or the ability to hail a cab would be great, but not a deal breaker. I'm not a snob but I definitely appreciate culture and nicer things in life such as museums, art shows, or summer/fall festivals. Mass transit (MARC/Metro) nearby would be nice but not a deal breaker.

​I may be asking a lot but any help is greatly appreciated. If you suggest an area please let me know why it would fit me well and if you need any more info on what I'm looking for please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,217 times
Are you going to be working in Ft. Meade? If so, look at Bowie or Columbia.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:46 PM

5 posts, read 7,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Are you going to be working in Ft. Meade? If so, look at Bowie or Columbia.
Thank you for replying Yes, I'll most likely be working at Ft. Meade. Why are the Bowie and Columbia areas the best areas for what I'm looking for though?

Old 12-27-2011, 08:15 PM

They're both almost a 20 minute drive to Ft Meade on a good day. Columbia is kind of new compared to most places in MD and has a mall and many amenities. I'm not sure about breweries but Ellicott City should have some of those. It's a town with a lot of history if you're into that. Laurel is also a nice place but this area is spread out within 3 counties (Howard, PG and AA). You might want to visit these places to get a better understanding of what you want. Also look at some of the threads here regarding info about the places you're into. DC is nice but that's a little longer to Ft. Meade.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:25 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Does the city of Bowie even have any apartments? Isn't it mostly 1960s single family homes? Maybe there are some I'm not aware of.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:10 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,901,291 times
If you want a young professional life, you should go to Federal Hill in Baltimore. 20 minute drive to Ft. Meade. Just find a place with a parking spot.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:34 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,842 times
I second KLynch10's recommendation. I know you said you didn't need to be right in the heart if the city, but honestly, you will be downright bored living in the suburbs based on what you want to have close by. You will easily be able to find a renovated house share situation with parking with your budget. Also check out Locust Point in the city. It's near Federal Hill, it's very safe, and both neighborhoods are convenient to 295 and I-95. These areas are full of young professionals, and I know several people who commute from there to Fort Meade.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,842 times
You might want to look at the apartments at McHenry Row. They are brand new, and they are in a great location between Federal Hill and Locust Point, right next to the new Harris Teeter and other stores.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 AM

146 posts, read 374,854 times
I agree with the other posters, you def dont want to live out in burbs if you are a single young male. It will be way too quiet and much harder to meet other young professionals. I would recommend you go to Federal Hill.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:36 AM

Federal Hill is also a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland