Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nollies1 View Post
I will be one of those 'commuter types' most likely MARC'ing it to MD as I will be working in Bethesda. It seems that the Eastern panhandle of WV will fit the bill for our family's needs. I have read a few posts here and it seems that all those cute little towns in WV are equally appealing.

I had a general question about population/congestion, recent rates of growth, or anything that would aid in figuring out the actual commute time rather than just adding up miles on a map. Does anyone do such a commute? How is it?

Are areas South of 340 (Southern Harper's Ferry area, Southern Charles Town) getting "too crowded" vs. North of 340 (Shepherdstown, Kearneysville)? We were hoping to get a feel for where the rush hour bottlenecks are. For instance, can you do Shepherdstown to Brunswick station in 20min or 45min during rush? Is there going to be any significant difference in commute time between ST, CT, Kearneysville, or Harper's Ferry to/from the Brunswick MARC station?

It appears to us that that pretty much anywhere in Jefferson County has a respectable school district. Would you agree?

btw If anyone plans to come on down to the Houston area feel free to ask away

Best,
George
I'm in your shoes of two years ago. I have just moved from KY (living in temporary accommodations) and considering a move to HF/ST. Now that you've had a few years under your belt, what is your verdict? What route/means of commuting do you use? What is the time of commute? I am working at NIH/Rockledge (off Old Georgetown Rd./Democracy Blvd.).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 07:49 AM

380 posts, read 1,161,344 times
Hi bluegrasslass, head over to the WV forum and look around for the posts about Harpers Ferry & Shepherdstown. Take a look at the posts I made the other day: //www.city-data.com/forum/west-...on-advice.html
So much depends on the times you have to commute and the type of home you want. I don't know how close the MARC would get you to your work, you may have to get a bus from the Garrett Park station. I think the train leaves here (Duffields) about quarter of six and gets there at about quarter after seven. But if your workday allows you to avoid the heaviest part of the rush the drive would probably be a little shorter. I used to commute to the Quince Orchard / Clopper Rd. area. Arriving at the shop about 7am it would take around 50 minutes, but that was in the late '80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland