Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 13,759 times

Advertisements

Hi! We live in Rising Sun and have some family coming to town. We have only been here a few months and we want to go to Washington D.C. I don't mind driving but I have heard it is horrible and the parking is insane so I was wondering how people around here get there. Somebody mentioned a MARC train but I was a little confused trying to read the website. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 12:04 PM

342 posts, read 1,554,750 times
You should be able to get a MARC train at Perryville and travel to Washington, down in the weekday morning and back in the evening. Also, years ago, on a weekend, I've driven to New Carrollton, a D.C. Metro stop just off the beltway with a large parking lot, and rode the Metro into the town, namely, the mall. I don't know how it is these days.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:09 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtownfunlover View Post
You should be able to get a MARC train at Perryville and travel to Washington, down in the weekday morning and back in the evening. Also, years ago, on a weekend, I've driven to New Carrollton, a D.C. Metro stop just off the beltway with a large parking lot, and rode the Metro into the town, namely, the mall. I don't know how it is these days.
You have to get to the Metro parking lots really early to get parking. If it were me I'd just take the MARC, much easier and probably cheaper. Also it's really lovely to cross the Susquehanna on the train.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 AM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Keep in mind that MARC does not run on weekends...

If possible don't drive to DC. Take the Metro.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:24 AM

461 posts, read 1,284,284 times
I would drive to the Greenbelt Metro station and take the green line train (toward Branch Ave.) into DC. Depending on how many places you want to go (and how centrally located they are), you could buy a day pass.....I think they are $14 or get a plastic fare card and add like $10 on each, which should be good for the trip in, out, and a few connections once in town. You can always ad money to the card Be advised that Metro will soon start charging $1 surcharge for each paper ticket, now sure when that will be starting.

You should find plenty of parking t the Greenbelt station, but if you are going on a weekday, I would go earlier in the day to secure parking.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
When we first moved here everyone told us not to drive to DC. At first we'd always take the metro; we'd drive to Silver Spring or Greenbelt. But we've learned that since we are generally going on weekends, it is actually not that bad to drive into DC compared to taking the metro. For a family of 4, the fares add up fast, and there are often line works on the weekend that make it a very prolonged trip. We can generally drive faster. We often park in one of the decks on 7th street near L'Enfant Plaza, and it is pretty straightforward to get there.

If you are going on a weekday, I would drive to Greenbelt.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:34 PM

513 posts, read 961,904 times
Drive to New Carrolton Metro, cheap all day parking. No brainer. Since you have not been to DC, it would not be fun for you to try to find a parking garage close to the museums during the work week that is not full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland