Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 11:55 AM

160 posts, read 301,084 times

Advertisements

I have a job interview in Annapolis next week and I will be staying at the State House Inn. Are there any "must-do" things while in Annapolis for two nights (and hopefully much longer)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 12:05 PM

92 posts, read 429,237 times
Not so many "must do" things, but it is fun to just walk around the city. You can walk on to the Naval Academy, around the state house etc is that stuff interests you, or check out the fancy boats downtown. There are a number of cool shops on Main St. and Maryland ave. If you're looking for a good coffee shop to hang out in, try 49-west.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:40 PM

581 posts, read 970,169 times
The museum in the naval academy has a impressive display of historical ship models.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:09 PM

575 posts, read 554,833 times
You should check out the State House.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:26 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,081,708 times
Guided tours of the Naval Academy are offered throughout the day, and also tours of the State House (Capitol). The colonial downtown area is full of gift shops, art galleries (many nautical-themed), upscale bars and restaurants, and it's always fun to walk around the yacht harbor, which is always bustling with tourists. There is also a summer garden theater.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:34 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,035,419 times
I'd take a sailing lesson (unless you already know how to sail). Lots of fun, and one of the best places in the world to do it.

If you enjoy afternoon tea, there's also a great tea room in Annapolis, Reynold's.

Just walking around the downtown waterfront with a coffee or ice cream (depending on the season) and boat watching is my favorite thing to do there, though. If you get there at the right time, you'll see the crew teams fly by under the bridge. That's always fun.

Make sure to eat out as much as you can. So many great restaurants there.

Depending on when you'll be there, they also have a Summer Jazz Series, if that interests you.

It's really a phenomenal town where all the locals really know one another. I had an ex that lived there, and I couldn't get enough of that town. If winters weren't so cold there, I'd buy a home there in a heartbeat.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:22 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Just walking around the downtown waterfront with a coffee or ice cream
There's a statue of Roots author Alex Haley there near the city dock. It commemorates the spot where his ancestor Kunta Kinte arrived from a slave ship and was sold. Haley is shown reading to three children. It is a lovely, human-sized sculpture. It is part of a memorial walk described here: http://www.kintehaley.org/memorialelements.html

Old 07-29-2012, 01:00 PM

503 posts, read 807,823 times
along with many of the other suggestions, there will likely be a free concert by the Naval Academy Band on the city dock on Tuesday night.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 PM

Thank you guys so much. I've always wanted to go sailing and the tea room sounds great. I hope I get this job.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 PM

I just got back and I have to say how much I loved the area. The food is great, the waterfront is huge and beautiful, and the people seem pretty nice and quirky. Definitely not some boring suburb. I find out Wednesday if I got the job but I looked at a place in Eastport, is that considered a good area. It looked nice enough and the convenience is tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland