Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,572 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of retiring in MD coming from AZ. My husband is 64 and just retired and I am 53 and still working. Our reasons include 1) MD offers health insurance for pre-existing conditions (I want to retire in a few years and can't get private health insurance due to previous breast cancer). 2) move closer to family 3) leave the desert. We have lived in OH and MA as well as TX so we are familiar with all kinds of weather/climate. you never get accustomed to 115+ degrees! We also miss green trees and grass!

Where are the best places to retire in MD? We enjoy suburban lifestyle with access to outdoor activities (hiking, biking). We prefer not to live in a large metropolitan area. We like both the seacoast and inland area with trees, hills. Looking for small home 3BR/2BA in a nice community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 06:19 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
I'll put in a plug for Middletown MD or actually almost anywhere in Frederick County. You don't here many people wanting to retire TO Maryland. Many feel our taxes are high but for me it is home. Just want to make sure you come in with your eyes open (I hate people that move here and then attempt to change it to be like where they moved from)

Old 09-21-2012, 07:11 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
A couple of my favorite areas include Frederick for a historic small city atmosphere, and Annapolis for water access and rich history.

I am also aware of an Arizonan who moved to the Raleigh, NC area because the state of North Carolina also has a health insurance pool for people with pre-existing conditions. It is called Inclusive Health: http://www.inclusivehealth.org/ The real-estate and taxes would be less in NC, and you would also have green trees and great beaches. (We moved out of MD to a retirement home in NC.)

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-21-2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 07:22 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,241 times
Frederick County is probably a good bet, as is the Eastern Shore. Annapolis is pretty expensive.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 9,572 times
Thanks keep the ideas coming. Arizona has a high risk pool and PCIP for uninsurable but you have to be without insurance for 6 months. We still have ins thru my husbands company as part of retirement pkg. I can get group health thru my job but I want to retire in 5 yrs but I will be 58 then & still in need of ins. Plus I am ready to get out of AZ.

I would never want to change a place to be like AZ.

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:21 AM

915 posts, read 3,179,750 times
Make sure you check the taxes and other crap before you moved to the Republic of Maryland...

Old 09-22-2012, 07:09 PM

29 posts, read 85,477 times
Go to the Eastern shore, you can disappear there, for not alot of money. Get ready to endure the skeeters, though.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:53 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefAreCoolToo View Post
Make sure you check the taxes and other crap before you moved to the Republic of Maryland...
Sound advice. You will pay state AND local tax on retirement income. Make sure to doublecheck taxes. VA Beach is probably better, or Deleware, and still relativly close to MD.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:51 AM

206 posts, read 570,574 times
Having lived in Arizona and Maryland, let me say this about that.

Yeah, green is not a prevalent color in desert country. I think it has to do with the 115 deg. temperatures and no rain for months on end.

Seriously though, Flagstaff is a different world, lots of snow, 0 deg's., if you wanted to stay in Arizona.

Maryland is as depicted by everyone so far. Personally, I would go the Eastern Shore where I once lived near Chestertown towards the bay.

The only problem as I see it with the Eastern Shore is "The Bridge". Nuff said.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:59 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Actually, plenty of Marylanders are retiring to Southern Delaware (including Rehoboth Beach), which has no state sales tax, and other taxes are very low. The tiny state of Delaware cleverly gets much of its revenue from gambling by out-of-state visitors. The famous DuPont family also donates/ funds many projects there. However, some people have phobias of crossing the high, narrow Chesapeake Bay Bridge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay_Bridge

Many other Marylanders are moving to retirement communities in Southern Pennsylvania (Gettysburg/Carlisle, etc). PA if I'm not mistaken, exempts all pension income from taxation. PA also has no sales tax on clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland