Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 23,067 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new to this forum. We are planning to buy a new single family home either in Howard County / Ann Arundel County. We found one home in Ellicott city(Cornerstone builders) and one in Severn (Ryan Home).

Price Range : CornerStone-> $720,000
Ryan Homes>$596,000

We like the area in Howard County more than AA County. But we like the home in Severn (zipcode: 21144) and the community is good in one look, but don't know more details.

I want to know about these builder's homes. I was reading scaring posts all over here aganist Ryan homes?. Is it a bad chose?

Also, I would like to know the growing factor in these two areas. I heard that a lot of people moving to Fort Meade and the price will go up these areas?.

Also, how is serven?

Thanks in advance.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 8,344 times
Interesting. I happened by these forums today searching for posts about Ryan Homes. We are under contract with them in Anne Arundel County, and our house is nearly done. When I'm bored I search for information on them because I am always a little bit worried because of the horror stories I hear about them, but so far our experience has been "mostly good." There have been a few things that irked us about the process so far... but nothing really serious. Still, I am nervous.

I currently live right on the Elkridge, Columbia, Ellicott City border (Where Route 100 and I-95 meet). I can tell you that Columbia/Ellicott City is a great place to live, but unfortunently the house prices reflect that as well. Money Magazine (I think it was that one, may have been something else, but an equally big name) rated Columbia/EC as like #3 best place to live in the whole country last year. I am less experienced with AAC since I don't currently live there (but will soon when our new home is finished). So, Columbia/EC and Howard County in general is "growing" but there is not a lot of room left to grow, so mostly things just get more expensive.
Due to the "Base Realignment and Closing Act (BRAC)" a substanial amount of jobs (somewhere between 5000 and 10000 I think) are moving to Ft. Meade. This will cause huge growth in AAC (where Ft. Meade is located) and neighboring counties.... But you can expect a lot of growing pains with that (the school system is not ready for a sudden influx of several thousand familes). So its a mixed bag, I guess you could say. Search around for info on BRAC to learn more.

Last edited by Mr. Sparkle; 10-30-2007 at 08:14 PM..

Old 10-31-2007, 06:17 AM

350 posts, read 1,646,775 times
I live in Ho Co, and if you want to buy- now's the time because of the way the market is. There's a ton of stuff for sale, and prices are negotiable. As for Ryan Homes, I have a Ryan townhome that is 11 years old, and we don't have any major problems.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:44 AM

382 posts, read 1,206,769 times
If you're going to have children in school, you might want to check out the district for your community. At one time, the schools in the Severn area were not considered good at all, especially near Ft. Meade. But that was before a lot of the newer construction in the area, so things could have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland