Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 07:18 AM

171 posts, read 446,795 times

Advertisements

I have lived in 3 states that have "corporated" towns, villages and cities - NJ, MI and Ohio. I have also lived in 1 state that is "unincorporated" - MD. Most northern states due to the historical larger population bases allowed for incorporation. The property taxes in most corporated areas are higher due to paying for local services - Fire, Police, Schools that are DUPLICATED by every small incorporated place. One advantage of incorporation - home rulling and being able to control your own destiny. Not all areas are treated equally in County Gov't equation. Look at the Salaries of the Supt of Schools of Teaneck, NJ - capped at $175k and Shaker Heights, Ohio - $180k. Now multiply that number by 20 to 40 other districts in their counties (Bergen and Cuyohoga) and compare that to the $250k the top guys gets in Montgomery or Baltimore County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 10:41 AM

171 posts, read 228,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Nah, it's a legal term. An "incorporated area" is a chunk of land that's often called a City or Town or Township or something thereof. It has its own government, often its own special taxes, official boundaries, and services.

For instance, Rockville is an incorporated area. It has official boundaries, I think it has its own local tax, it has its own police force, etc. There's a mayor (some incorporated areas just have a council). It's legally its own entity.

An unincorporated area is, legally, governed by the county. Bethesda is an example of an unincorporated area. There aren't any official, legal boundaries to what is considered Bethesda. There's no "Bethesda government." Everything in Bethesda is done by the county government.

To be honest, it's one of the few very Southern things about Maryland. Most Southern states are organized at the county level with few incorporated areas. Compare that to the North, particularly New England, where some states have no unincorporated areas at all!
After reviewing information on capitalization of a name..
Wikiepdia-> Trade name "in writing generally capital letters" or...
Burton's legal thesaurus:
Capitalize-> Utilize for profit/manipulate/take advantage of.
Utilize-> Incorporate.
Profit->Income.

The understanding I am gathering, when a real name is canged into an all capital name, the individual with the real name has been "incorporated for income".

Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit18b View Post
I have lived in 3 states that have "corporated" towns, villages and cities - NJ, MI and Ohio. I have also lived in 1 state that is "unincorporated" - MD. Most northern states due to the historical larger population bases allowed for incorporation. The property taxes in most corporated areas are higher due to paying for local services - Fire, Police, Schools that are DUPLICATED by every small incorporated place. One advantage of incorporation - home rulling and being able to control your own destiny. Not all areas are treated equally in County Gov't equation. Look at the Salaries of the Supt of Schools of Teaneck, NJ - capped at $175k and Shaker Heights, Ohio - $180k. Now multiply that number by 20 to 40 other districts in their counties (Bergen and Cuyohoga) and compare that to the $250k the top guys gets in Montgomery or Baltimore County.
First of all I'll bet the Superintendent of schools for MoCo or BaltoCo run a much bigger organization than the other ones you mention. School systems in Maryland are adminstered at the County Level so some are pretty large systems.

In Maryland Some counties do not have any incorporated areas, Baltimore County is an example (I think Howard County may be similar) This is all laid out in the state laws establishing and defining the county. Other counties such as Frederick have towns and cities within them that are incorporated. In Frederick County there is some differential allowed to the municipalities to make up for the services that the town provides that reduces the costs of the County. Yeas there is not total agreement but there is some acknowledgment of the fact. Of course there is teh one independent City in Maryland (Baltimore City) which is not in any county.

For more information look at

Municipal League, MD - Official Website

The Website of the Maryland Municipal League (MML) the association of The cities and towns of MD.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
I don't know about making a zillion townships, but I do think that PG County should split up into halves or thirds. As a Fort Washington resident representing one of the highest tax bases for the county, my area is largely neglected by my county and state government. If you consider National Harbor helping my area, all it has done is increase traffic and taxes so that NoVA and DC residents can have a playground. Heck, the earliest project to deal with traffic is widening MD 210 and that is an unfunded proposal slated for no earlier than 2020!

Keep local government LOCAL. A local government cares about its local populace. When you have a huge piece of land like PG County, it is no surprise that there is a disconnect between the government and its constituents at all corners of its jurisdiction.

Heck, I wouldn't mind writing a charter and proposing to the state legislature an effort to make Fort Washington its own incorporated township.
As a county resident, off and on, for more than 30 years I couldn't agree with you more! If ever there was a time to move forward with township/city incorporation -- now is the time! Recently an article was published about the top ten most affluent counties for African Americans in the country and Prince George's county had FIVE cities in the top ten yet our school system is ranked 21st in the state, economic development is deplorable and the infrastructure is vexing. Despite my concerns, or complaints, I remain an optimist and I will be actively supporting candidates and initiatives that provide alternative narratives to the ones that we have heard too many times in this county. It's time for the rise of alternative parties in this county among other things.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:54 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
More incorporation isn't really going to do much for your concern about the school system unless State law is changed and the system is broken up from the County model. That won't happen.

Prince George's also has the most incorporated municipalities in the State with 27. Montgomery is second with 21.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:12 PM

There are 157 incorporated towns/cities in MD. At least two counties have county charters that do not allow incorporated towns/cities (Baltimore County & Howard County) In those all decisions are made at the county level. As NBP said the school system is ALWAYS run at the County level.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:21 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I tried Googling the answer, but to no avail. I always found it interesting that Maryland is dominated by unincorporated areas/CDPs. Is there a reason for this? Any benefit? Downside?

I would assume taxes would be slightly lower, since there are no elected officials for most towns. Then again, something tells me I may be wrong.
Less ridiculous regulations.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:38 PM

178 posts, read 162,259 times
Incorporated communities are just a extra expense for domineering, and bullying babysitters, I mean city government officials, to make themselves especially special that they are holy men for doing the mere mundane task of increasing property values of houses in their domain. Double your tax burden, crush your profits and have goody two-shoes people everywhere demand that you give free charity(3 months till eviction) to those who will never fix up their lives.

Don't live in an incorporated community in Maryland. You're pissing away money to fatten lazy pigs.

It would be a travesty if Silver Spring actually becomes incorporated.

Government people lie just like mere mortals, but hey they can get away with benefits while commoners get punished, especially cops. Never mind the counties are already strict.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:02 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethGrayson View Post
Incorporated communities are just a extra expense for domineering, and bullying babysitters, I mean city government officials, to make themselves especially special that they are holy men for doing the mere mundane task of increasing property values of houses in their domain. Double your tax burden, crush your profits and have goody two-shoes people everywhere demand that you give free charity(3 months till eviction) to those who will never fix up their lives.

Don't live in an incorporated community in Maryland. You're pissing away money to fatten lazy pigs.

Government people lie just like mere mortals, but hey they can get away with benefits while commoners get punished, especially cops. Never mind the counties are already strict.
Meh. You get what you pay for. My city taxes get me paid fire fighters, a paid city police force, easy access to city water, sewer, trash pick-up etc. I hear what you saying, but I don't mind paying more for better services + the benefits of everything being close by because I am in the county seat. Your mileage may vary...

Old 02-08-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethGrayson View Post

You don't like the results - get involved. It is frustrating how few people come to town meetings, participate in town elections, are willing to be on committees, or work in any way. But they can complain a lot or present ideas for someone else to work on.

I attend every town meeting I can, have been on committees, pay particular attention at budget meetings and hearings and am very hapy with our town management and what we get for our tax dollar. It is much easier to have an effect at the local level than at state or national level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland