Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:26 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Yeah these "frigid" MD winters really wear on one when coupled with the New England culture, especially in Southern MD and the Eastern Shore.

(sarcasm switched off)

I agree to an extent with CPterp about retirement, MD taxes all retirement pay with the exception of some enlisted military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 03:42 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Gotta love CPterp coming back and making sure his comments including placing Maryland in the Mid-Atlantic part of the North East. Glad you remembered your talking points We missed you!

Old 07-21-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Gotta love CPterp coming back and making sure his comments including placing Maryland in the Mid-Atlantic part of the North East. Glad you remembered your talking points We missed you!

I didn't.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:38 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
They tax retirement pay? Christ...

Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Seriously, that's all you saw in my entire post. Wow man.

Oh boy, I'm flattered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I didn't.
Wow someone's grumpy lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah these "frigid" MD winters really wear on one when coupled with the New England culture, especially in Southern MD and the Eastern Shore.

(sarcasm switched off)

I agree to an extent with CPterp about retirement, MD taxes all retirement pay with the exception of some enlisted military.
1. I'm talking from my perspective in the DC Area.
2. I'm comparing it to Florida
3. As far as I know, in many parts of Southern MD winters could also be described as pretty cold, but yeah DelMarVa does have relatively milder winters than the rest of the state.
4. Interesting you didn't mention Western MD which definitely has some pretty rough winters. Didn't personally experience this, but I definitely know multiple people who have.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
The Mid-Atlantic/North East comment jumped out at me because it was completely superfluous to the rest of your post......as though you made the conscious effort to add it in. But, I wasn't being sarcastic on the second part, welcome back.

Frostburg and parts west of rough winters. It isn't that much of an exaggeration to say it snows at least a little in Frostburg every night for weeks at a time.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Seriously, that's all you saw in my entire post. Wow man.

Oh boy, I'm flattered.

Wow someone's grumpy lol.

Yes.

1. I'm talking from my perspective in the DC Area.
2. I'm comparing it to Florida
3. As far as I know, in many parts of Southern MD winters could also be described as pretty cold, but yeah DelMarVa does have relatively milder winters than the rest of the state.
4. Interesting you didn't mention Western MD which definitely has some pretty rough winters. Didn't personally experience this, but I definitely know multiple people who have.

I grew up in northwestern PA so I don't consider the winters in Western MD anything but normal. Pretty cold isn't when the high is in the 40's most of the time.

The SoMD/Eastern Shore mention was in relation to the Northeast.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:56 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
I grew up in Baltimore, and left for good upon graduation from college. My reason for leaving was complex, but can be summarized as follows: I believed that I would have a better life elsewhere. In retrospect, this was one of the best decisions I have made, although I love certain aspects of Baltimore and still miss them. The "final straw" for me was the abject savagery evident in the summer of 1968. My thought was "I don't have to live in a place like this."

I remember a lot of good things about Baltimore, but I also remember the killings, the knifings around Memorial Stadium after games, the fistfights over traffic and parking places, the litter and graffiti, the rotten public schools (for the most part), the sky-high city property tax, the hardcore racism going both ways, the pollution-blackened snow piling up in late winter, and so forth.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Sounds like it hasn't changed much!

Old 08-07-2011, 05:35 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,808 times
The summer of 1968?? Geez - I was 13 - I remember Washington DC riots - but I believe there were riots and looting in other places as well - that summer for me involved hanging at a neighborhood pool.

Maryland is a very diverse state and has its beauty in both Western MD and the Eastern Shore and its proximity to so many places.

If I can ever afford to retire - might just move an hour north to the beach areas of Delaware for the tax situation and the affordability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland