Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
This is pretty normal in areas where there is a liberal stronghold in my experience.
Except for most of the west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I am getting REALLY tired of people taking a small part of Maryland, in your case the burbs, and making a general statement about an entire state.
I have traveled pretty extensively in Maryland and have found very little to like. It's not a pretty state, it's not a polite state and it's not a very livable state.

Oh, Assateague is amazing. I'll give you that. I camp on the dunes there every year.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Except for most of the west coast.
Your first 2 points and second to last one are what I've experienced in the West Coast when I lived there.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:38 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Quote:
I have traveled pretty extensively in Maryland and have found very little to like. It's not a pretty state, it's not a polite state and it's not a very livable state.

Oh, Assateague is amazing. I'll give you that. I camp on the dunes there every year.
That's fine then, I'm obviously not going to convince you. I just felt the need to address your issues point by point because they simply are not true for most of us. Again "what do you do" may come up in your circles, not mine. I guess it's not a pretty state, unless of course you like water or Appalachia. It may not have lakes but there's plenty of water. And to claim there is no green space is simply wrong. It may not be the case in Wheaton, and of course with 2 major cities 40 miles apart there will obviously be dense areas, but there is a ton of open space from Frederick west, north of Baltimore, southern MD and basically the entire eastern shore.

And if you don't think people are friendly throughout the state dare I say maybe it's you. I"m telling you people hold the door, talk to strangers in elevators (with me anyway) or at least smile and say hi all the time. And not just in Mt Airy, this happens in my office in Bethesda.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 08-31-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 03:27 PM

221 posts, read 247,703 times
Quote:

You don't think Maryland is a pretty state? I think it is one of the most scenic states around, very green with a good mix of tree types and some mountains, some heavilty forested areas and then some open farmland.

What state do you think is pretty?

It isn't very livable, just way too expensive even to live in fairly rural areas like Frederick. then there are all the liberal control freaks. LOL

Old 09-01-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Ok, fine - in addition to being stupidly liberal (and I'm pretty liberal myself) Maryland is:

Too crowded - try going anywhere on the weekend; everything within a 3 hour radius is packed. Oh also, the 3 hour radius quickly becomes 6 if you try to leave on a Friday afternoon.

Too obnoxious - "What do you do?" is the only question people ask around here. Huge egos with nothing to back them up. This is the most self-absorbed place I've ever lived.

Visually uninteresting - What little green space is left is generally either flat (the shore) or tiny bumps that we try to call mountains (western panhandle). Fun fact; Maryland is also the only state without any natural lakes!

Too expensive - The jobs are in the DC suburbs, which are horrendously expensive. Move into the country and you face unemployment or hours-long commutes to work. Don't get me started on taxes.
We were the first state in the country to legalize gay marriage via popular vote, so that's something (even though marriage is a right, which shouldn't be subject to a vote in the first place).
The mountains in the western part of MD are hardly little bumps. LOL Compared to most states outside of Colorado and other rocky mountain states, those are big mountains.

Some of the best lakes in the country are man-made for nuclear power plants. Lake Keowee and Lake Jocasee in South Carolina are two of the most pristine lakes in the country and they were made for the nuke plant. They have been called the Lake Tahoes of the south due to the clear blue water.

I wish people in this country cared as much about taxes and all this excessive government spending and debt than they do a relatively insigificant issue as gay marriage.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Concur. That flag is bitchin'. The rest of the state....meh.
i always thought that flag was pretty ugly. The best state flag is South Carolina's palmetto tree flag.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
I call Maryland a "Life on demand" state.

This is because just about anything significant in life that you could want you can find in this state in a one-stop shop kind of way. :-)

Old 09-03-2013, 07:13 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush6317 View Post
i always thought that flag was pretty ugly. The best state flag is South Carolina's palmetto tree flag.
Their flag makes their state appear to be an Islamic state at first glance.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:49 PM

196 posts, read 575,832 times
Sixth generation Marylander and lived there all my life but for my time in the military. I couldn't be happier now that I've moved to North Carolina. Just the 8% saving by not having my retirement taxed is but one reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland