Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 09:03 PM

66 posts, read 87,547 times

Advertisements

Oh, so we just abort babies because you, angry person on the internet, doesn't believe a fetus is alive. It seems to me the burden of proof is on you and other abortionists to prove each fetus you want to abort isn't alive. Good luck with that.
When the fetus is aborted, it reacts violently to it because it feels pain. Sounds like life to me.

You even trying to make stamping out life a freedom thing which is Orwellian.

Your comment about healthcare is what the GOP is up against right now in this country. We are outnumbered by ignorant people.

Nobody is arguing that people can go shooting up people with guns. That is a foolish argument by a fool. Given Republicans are much tougher on crime than Democrats, it is even more foolish. The vast majority of gun owners are not shooting anybody yet you want to ban guns for everybody because you don't like them. Then you want us to care you can't get the government to recognize your marriage and give you perks for it. This is arrogance, defined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 09:03 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
That's definitely a point of contention. I can see why you might feel the need to make that distinction, but I'm going to have to personally disagree. I have yet to meet anyone from Mineral County (I have quite an extensive family there and spent a considerable amount of time there growing up) that doesn't identify as being from the Eastern Panhandle. Technically, a panhandle is an arm or protrusion, if you will, from the rest of the state. By that definition, you would have to consider all eight counties as part of the eastern panhandle. Consider that all those counties lie in the same geographic province, as well. Culturally, someone from Keyser or Short Gap has a lot more in common with someone from Martinsburg or Berkeley Springs than with someone from Charleston or Wheeling or Morgantown. I will concede that new transplants are drastically changing places like Jefferson and Berkeley County, but you wouldn't judge our culture based on someone who moved to Cumberland from New York, would you? In my opinion, all the things I mentioned in my previous post are more than enough to make them all part of one region. Until very recently, I'd never heard anyone make such a distinction.

There really are very distinct divisions. You've got the Northern Panhandle, North-Central WV, the high mountains, the Mid Ohio Valley, the "metro valley," Southeast WV, the southern coalfields, and the Eastern Panhandle (Potomac Highlands + Shenandoah Valley). Some of these regions sort of band together, but they all have their own distinctions. I've met many, many people from all these places in my time here, so I'd be more than happy to go into further detail if you're interested. It's sort of fascinating. Looking at West Virginia as a whole though, there's sort of an overarching north/south divide, with the east as an exacerbated extension of said divide, more on the "north" side, if that makes any sense. They've certainly got their differences and plenty of grievances with one another, but your friends are correct in their assessment that there is just something about being from West Virginia that binds them all together. I think the Texas analogy is fitting, although WVians aren't typically as obnoxious about it. There's this special sort of state pride that exists amongst them, accompanied by an acknowledgment that being a West Virginian entails certain things, namely coming from a certain sort of Appalachian background. They know that a lot of bad things are associated with West Virginia, but find solace in knowing that, if nothing else, they are defined as a people. They share a common bond.
I used to call Mineral County, et al. the Eastern Panhandle...........then I spent some time around Martinsburg. IMO, the culture changes rather dramatically around Hedgesville. West of this is similar to Western Maryland, east of this the culture is more similar to the Shenandoah Valley region of VA and Washington County, MD.

Maybe compared to trans-Allegheny WV, these areas are similar, but to me, the "Eastern Panhandle" is mostly farm land with lots of exurbanites, while the "Potomac Highlands" are soaring mountains, sparsely population valleys inhabited by mostly natives, and vast forests.

Last edited by westsideboy; 09-12-2013 at 09:20 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
So you admit to opposing abortion and claim to be pro-freedom? Are you going to ban meat consumption? A pig or cow is smarter than a month old fetus. You're entitled to your opinion if you feel wealthy people selfishly hoarding health care is OK and that people have some sort of right to semiautomatic weapons/handguns but that doesn't mean decent people should be slaughtered by lunatics with guns. Why you care more about fetuses than people who are born is beyond me; don't see the logic in people dying from lack of health care and gun violence being OK with you but abortion not.
These animals are smarter than some developmentally challenged adults too. Based on your logic, I assume you would be OK if we terminated the lives of these people as well?

Last edited by westsideboy; 09-12-2013 at 09:44 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 09:49 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Again its best if Montgomery County and PG left. I think Western Maryland and the Eastern Shore together would mean rural interests will be very powerful in the new Maryland. Natural gas drilling, coal mining, agriculture, fishing, and tourism and development will ALL become more prosperous without the taxes and nanny state laws and regulations cooked up by urban liberals. It will be even better if Baltimore also left and joined the new DC as an exclave, though Baltimore IS culturally important in Maryland. Even if the city stays, it will still be outvoted the way Memphis, Indianapolis, Atlanta, and New Orleans are outvoted in their states. Without Montgomery and PG Counties Maryland will see the following improvements:

- reduced gas tax, income tax, and tolls
- repeal of the gun control laws
- repeal of the illegal alien Dream Act and the illegal alien licenses
- less regulations on natural gas, coal, fishing, and farming
- repeal of PlanMaryland that strangles rural economies and expects high density development in small towns which is simply impossible

- repeal of the wind farm tax, flush tax, and rain tax
- repeal of the septic tank bans
- reinstatement of the death penalty
In addition in a Maryland without MoCo and PG its possible our representatives in Congress will vote to defund Obamacare. Nobody in Western Maryland, the Eastern Shore, or even in many of the Baltimore suburbs like Obamacare. Gay marriage MIGHT still stay even in a new Maryland.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:50 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWatchMan96 View Post
It would make more sense for them to join another state than become a new state because then they are going to have to establish a state house and state congress building and the other state agencies which is going to be expensive.

I do think they should be allowed to leave because they really have no representation in the maryland government.
Logistically, it would be easier to establish a small, rural, area as a new State than it would a larger area (population). Transferring municipalities alone from Maryland to D.C., if MoCo and PG were to leave, would be a nightmare. Then of course, there are all the other services, too.

It would be easier for Western Maryland to build up, however, it would be expensive. Money would need to be borrowed in order to establish infrastructure in the least.

It's a pipedream, though. Does anyone honestly believe the Maryland GOP wants to give up the $$$$ that comes from PG and MoCo?

Old 09-13-2013, 06:18 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Maryland will see the following improvements:

- reduced gas tax, income tax, and tolls
Even under Conservative rule, Maryland would still need to generate income in order to operate. Like all States, this income is generated largely through taxes. Being the GOP, new taxes would be few, but existing taxes would still exists...and might go up considering amount of $$$$ that would be lost with PG and MoCo.

If I recall, you are a Libertarian. Based on Libertarian philosophy, everything would be privatized....which would mean more tolls...on every road.

Quote:
- repeal of the gun control laws
Yes, more-than-likely.

Quote:
- repeal of the illegal alien Dream Act and the illegal alien licenses
I'm not sure. The GOP and business, not the average joe citizen Conservative, likes illegals and immigrants. They are a source of cheap labor. More illegals have been and are deported under Obama, nearly twice as many a month, than under G. Bush, Jr. Clinton also had higher deportation numbers, too. But go one thinking that these guys are Liberals The Dream Act is supported by politicians of all types as the idea behind it is that it will generate large amounts of money from taxes.

Besides, the GOP is looking for ways to get the Hispanic vote...the Dream Act is their key with doing so.

Quote:
- less regulations on natural gas, coal, fishing, and farming
Perhaps for natural gas and coal, but I think fishing and farming would remain the same.

Quote:
- repeal of PlanMaryland that strangles rural economies and expects high density development in small towns which is simply impossible
PlanMaryland would go away, but the GOP loves development.

Quote:
- repeal of the wind farm tax, flush tax, and rain tax
Rain tax, yes. Wind farms would stay and I am not sure about the flush tax.

Quote:
- repeal of the septic tank bans
Yes.

Quote:
- reinstatement of the death penalty
Probably, yes. However I am not sure why Conservatives are so into the death penalty seeing as how y'all are supposed to good Christians and all.

Quote:
In addition in a Maryland without MoCo and PG its possible our representatives in Congress will vote to defund Obamacare. Nobody in Western Maryland, the Eastern Shore, or even in many of the Baltimore suburbs like Obamacare. Gay marriage MIGHT still stay even in a new Maryland.
Yes, but Obamacare is going to fall anyways even if Maryland is the only State left supporting it.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWatchMan96 View Post
Oh, so we just abort babies because you, angry person on the internet, doesn't believe a fetus is alive. It seems to me the burden of proof is on you and other abortionists to prove each fetus you want to abort isn't alive. Good luck with that.
When the fetus is aborted, it reacts violently to it because it feels pain. Sounds like life to me.

You even trying to make stamping out life a freedom thing which is Orwellian.

Your comment about healthcare is what the GOP is up against right now in this country. We are outnumbered by ignorant people.

Nobody is arguing that people can go shooting up people with guns. That is a foolish argument by a fool. Given Republicans are much tougher on crime than Democrats, it is even more foolish. The vast majority of gun owners are not shooting anybody yet you want to ban guns for everybody because you don't like them. Then you want us to care you can't get the government to recognize your marriage and give you perks for it. This is arrogance, defined.
Thats a stupid argument because anything can have responsible owners. I could own a nuclear warhead in my basement and I wouldnt launch it at a country because I feel its wrong. That doesnt mean I want everyone to be able to buy chunks of plutonium. You could just as easily say murder should be legal because most people wont go out and do it. I understand gun nuts need to own these weapons to feel good about themselves, compensate for poor endowment or feel safe from whatever home invaders will ransack a 5 acre shack in the middle of nowhere.

You did a fine job of sidestepping my question as to whether eating animals should be banned. Being easily propagandized, I imagine you want to pretend every fetus is as smart as Albert Einstein. Exactly how many unwanted babies have you adopted? You're admittedly a Tea Partier indifferent toward poor people with health problems and homosexuals. Typical Tea Party crybaby, all talk and no action

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
These animals are smarter than some developmentally challenged adults too. Based on your logic, I assume you would be OK if we terminated the lives of these people as well?
Not so much....your argument makes no sense. You're quite insulting to people with mental problems. Mentally challenged people, people with Alzheimers, people with schizophrenia etc aren't too stupid to live, people with the worst problems are smarter than any animal. Have you defied hypocrisy and adopted unwanted children? Teabaggers love talking up a storm about aborted children but could care less when they are actually born

Old 09-13-2013, 08:53 AM

66 posts, read 87,547 times
It is funny that you are ok with the slaughter of babies in the womb via abortion but then you oppose people owning firearms who don't intend to kill anybody.
If you have a kid, it is your responsiblity to take care of the kid, and I am sure we could divert all this money be wasted to prop up failing solar power companies, etc, to take care of the kids of the poor women who have them. I don't think it is true most women who get knocked up are dirt poor, they are aborting the kid for convenience. Regardless, if abortion is taking a life, it is wrong, regardless of what happens when they are born. You want to distract away from that.

We have the right to bear arms in this country. You can complain all you want but you are in the minority on this issue. I just pointed this out to expose your hypocrisy on freedom/liberty when you start trying to use that rhetoric to argue for gay marriage. You can't want to deny freedom to others on some issues and then expect them to be your allies on your own issue where you feel like your freedom is being denied. You would have to ban all kinds of things that can be used to kill people if this is your logic for banning guns. If we could confiscate every weapon out there, then we could talk about gun control but people are going to still own guns if they are outlawed. It will be like prohibition of alcohol.

It is funny a gay man is referring to straight conservatives as "teabaggers" to insult them. Basically using an anti-gay slur to insult straight people who you don't agree with. It seeems like you are trying to channel Bill Maher's angry routine.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Thats a stupid argument because anything can have responsible owners. I could own a nuclear warhead in my basement and I wouldnt launch it at a country because I feel its wrong. That doesnt mean I want everyone to be able to buy chunks of plutonium. You could just as easily say murder should be legal because most people wont go out and do it. I understand gun nuts need to own these weapons to feel good about themselves, compensate for poor endowment or feel safe from whatever home invaders will ransack a 5 acre shack in the middle of nowhere.

You did a fine job of sidestepping my question as to whether eating animals should be banned. Being easily propagandized, I imagine you want to pretend every fetus is as smart as Albert Einstein. Exactly how many unwanted babies have you adopted? You're admittedly a Tea Partier indifferent toward poor people with health problems and homosexuals. Typical Tea Party crybaby, all talk and no action

Not so much....your argument makes no sense. You're quite insulting to people with mental problems. Mentally challenged people, people with Alzheimers, people with schizophrenia etc aren't too stupid to live, people with the worst problems are smarter than any animal. Have you defied hypocrisy and adopted unwanted children? Teabaggers love talking up a storm about aborted children but could care less when they are actually born

It is your argument A.J., own it

Quote:
So you admit to opposing abortion and claim to be pro-freedom? Are you going to ban meat consumption? A pig or cow is smarter than a month old fetus
You tried to make the claim that a Pro-Life person should also be against eating meat, because pigs and cows are smarter than fetuses. This would imply the intellectual level of the being in question is what should determine whether others have the right to terminate their existence.

Of course, when presented with the logical counter-point, "If intelligence is your criteria, then many adults (through no fault of their own) fail this litmus test and should be treated like fetuses," you flip out. You claim that disabled adults are "smarter than any animal." Sadly this isn't true. Know how I know? My grandfather has Alzheimers. It is horrible. He can barely walk, is barely continent, he has no short term memory, he can't speak. I should be the one taking offense that you used intelligence as a criteria for the extermination of life.

I am not surprised by your response though. You don't get it. You don't understand how logically bankrupt your initial premise was, so of course you are going to to offended and misunderstand the counter-point. This is why I said earlier trying to have a logical discussion with you is pointless. You can't even follow the "logic" of the arguments you try to make, how in the world would you be able to respond intelligently to what others say?

But I do notice after one sentence of attempted debate, you go right back to using terms like "teabagger" and making more bizarre statements, like being Pro-Life means you should be adopting children left and right else you are a hypocrite.

How about this, Mr. Phenomenal?

- I believe in your right to life, I don't think your existence should be terminated. I would oppose your murder.

but

- It isn't my job to house or feed you either.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:34 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Logistically, it would be easier to establish a small, rural, area as a new State than it would a larger area (population). Transferring municipalities alone from Maryland to D.C., if MoCo and PG were to leave, would be a nightmare. Then of course, there are all the other services, too.

It would be easier for Western Maryland to build up, however, it would be expensive. Money would need to be borrowed in order to establish infrastructure in the least.

It's a pipedream, though. Does anyone honestly believe the Maryland GOP wants to give up the $$$$ that comes from PG and MoCo?
MoCo and PG have a lot of what I call false wealth which skews Maryland's stats. Almost all of it is generated from government employment as there is no real private sector in Montgomery and PG aside from government contractors. Besides government contractors, the only private sector jobs are basically retail and hotels, etc. There are no major private companies in Montgomery County that do not depend on government contracts. Maryland' high income stats come from Montgomery County and those are based on the backs of hardworking taxpayers in West Virginia coal country and the Kansas heartland. The government economy benefits MoCo but is bad for the rest of America as it sucks income from the rest of the country to support these government workers. Also since the government jobs make Maryland SEEM prosperous (remember only MoCo is prosperous) the state government does not really care about attracting private industry. Therefore Maryland is very hostile to private sector jobs in the extreme and that hurts the rest of the state.

The DC area liberals do not care if Western Maryland suffers from not being able to extract its natural gas. They don't care that taxes and regulations forced Sparrows Point to close, or that the regulations are strangling agriculture and fishing on the Eastern Shore when liberal regulators come up with arbitrary catch limits on the fishermen so their profits are limited just to satisfy the liberal sensibilities of MoCo voters, same with all the runoff regulations, the rain tax, wind farm tax, etc. Baltimore does not have a SINGLE Fortune 500 company headquartered there while smaller metro areas like Richmond, Raleigh and even Cincinnati do. Now we have liberals pushing for a higher minimum wage, supported by urban Democrats and illegal immigrants. No company that hires a lot of blue collar workers will want to come here. Because of MoCo's prosperity they don't realize the rest of us DO need blue collar jobs. Where I live now in West Virginia we were able to attract a new Toyota plant employing 80 people.

In Maryland it seems they are trying to find out how much they can tax companies and people and still have companies stay vs trying to create a business friendly environment to attract the most amount of corporations possible to go there.

Maryland outside of Montgomery and PG is a complete economic ruin thanks to the MoCo liberals. You can see how Shrewsbury PA is doing much better than northern Baltimore County, and the hemorrhaging of industrial and blue collar jobs from the Baltimore region to Southern states. The unions must also be tackled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland