Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 11:29 AM

478 posts, read 809,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I don't BELIEVE you about racism on the Eastern Shore! You must have been overtly sheltered. Are you white or black?! I know too many African Americans from Easton, MD who've encountered racism/white supremacy in the worst ways. Baltimore is a nut baston of racism, backwards bigotry and bammaism! I agree with you on this.
I'm white. As I mentioned and as you point out, it's totally possible I was either sheltered, or maybe I just recognize racist attitudes more readily now that I've been around the block a few times, so I see it frequently in Baltimore where I live currently. I rarely go back to the shore anymore, so haven't really spent much time there as an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 11:30 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland_Rebels View Post
I've always thought of Maryland as a Southern State. Its below Mason-Dixion and sent more soldiers to fight for the south than Florida. The two most famous slaves were born in the state, (Harriet Tumbet and Fredrick Douglas). The State also was planed to secede but Lincoln was worried about the location about Maryland and DC so secession never happened. I'm just Kinda interested in what you guys think about what region the state is in.
I consider the Jersey Shore a Southern State.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:14 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
LOLOLOL!!! That is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
I consider the Jersey Shore a Southern State.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:16 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
Marylanders like to fly that Confederate flag like the Civil War was last year or something. Smh! And, they make it known..."Well, you know Maryland was a Southern state ying yang!"

Old 12-29-2015, 05:32 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
In places like Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky, and to a much lesser extent Missouri you'll have people who wear Southern labels with pride and others who reject them vehemently. I think Kentucky has the most Southern sympathizers, followed by West Virginia, Maryland, and way further down by Missouri. Obviously out of the border states, Kentucky seems to be the one that leans the most Southern. I don't know why this is. Geography, perhaps? Climate? It is after all mostly Southern in climate and accents. West Virginia, Maryland, and Missouri have lots of "neutral accents" within their borders. Also, they aren't just humid subtropical climates, either. Maryland is mostly humid subtropical except for the Appalachian region, and from what I hear they identify more with Pennsylvania. Missouri is mostly humid continental with the exception of the Super tiny bootheel. West Virginia isn't even humid subtropical anywhere despite its latitude but I do think elevation plays into that.

Food wise, Maryland is both Northern and Southern. They eat Pollock Johnny sausages but also drink sweet tea. They eat barbecue and fried chicken aplenty. But you also find some heavy German influenced foods you can find similar varieties of in Pennsylvania and Southern Ohio.

Language wise, it can fit in different molds. In Baltimore alone you find a common, almost non distinct accent that almost sounds like Philly, but if it was spoken by a hillbilly. That's the White accent. In the Blacks you find this odd, somewhat neutral, somewhat Coastal Carolina dialect with African and British elements rolled into one. Then you hear some rhotic Blacks that sound like regular Upland Southern counterparts in neighboring states.

What an interesting state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland