Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 03:06 AM

46 posts, read 135,156 times

Advertisements

I am kind of planning ahead but I thought why not. In july I am driving from Philadelphia to Busch Gardens Williamsburg on a sunday. I hope to be starting the car by around 12:30pm on a sunday. I was wondering how bad is D.C Traffic on a Sunday? Will I avoid traffic by traveling on a weekend? If all goes well I will be hitting Washington around 3:00-3:30pm.

My normal route is I-95 S, and then around Baltimore area I switch to MD-295 S (Baltimore/Washington Pkwy) which becomes I-295 S, and then get back on I-95 S right before the wilson bridge. But I usually leave early in the morning.

I cannot leave early because I have something else in the morning. I was wondering if you know any alternative route that will escape from D.C traffic? Because on sunday afternoon I have heard that D.C can be a nightmare at that time, is that true?

I kind of need help here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 04:59 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Sunday afternoon? Not unless you are returning from the beach in July. Traffic is bad here but mostly during weekday rush hour and maybe 95 north in VA on a Sunday afternoon. Other than that I don't see any reason why you should be concerned, maybe a little slowdown in a spot or 2.

I was going to suggest the 295 route but was hesitant unless you know DC, not exactly a good neighborhood to get lost in. But sounds like you know the right route.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,264,896 times
Have you considered going down the Eastern Shore and using the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel?

Old 01-15-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Have you considered going down the Eastern Shore and using the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel?
I know what route your talking about, but to be honest that route has a lot of traffic lights and will kill me. I have also heard that the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel can get blocked do to bad weather or traffic conditions, is that true? and if it does then it will add an extra 4-5 hours of my trip.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:45 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,829 times
The problem with the Eastern Shore route is that, if you're going to Williamsburg, after the Bridge-Tunnel, you end up on 64 West in Norfolk. 64 West on a summer Sunday is carrying all of the traffic leaving VA Beach and the Outer Banks. It's a mess.

The tough spot on 95 South is in VA near the Occoquan River bridge. It's always backed up on Sundays. Of course, any spot on 95 in MD or VA can be bad if there's an accident.

To avoid the worst part of 95, you can take US 301 South. To hook up with 301, you'd either take I-97 after leaving Baltimore or you'd take MD 5 from the DC Beltway. To get back to 95, you'd take VA 207, or you could avoid going back to 95 and take 301 to US 17 South to Williamsburg.

I like avoiding 95 for this trip, because it's so unpredictable, and one accident could cause hours of traffic. However, on average, 95 is going to be faster than 301, because 301 has a decent amount of lights. It's up to you whether you value a more predictable trip or a shorter one (on average).

Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchester2 View Post
I know what route your talking about, but to be honest that route has a lot of traffic lights and will kill me. I have also heard that the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel can get blocked do to bad weather or traffic conditions, is that true? and if it does then it will add an extra 4-5 hours of my trip.

OK. I thought that coming from Philadelphia, it might be a good alternative, but if you prefer to avoid the traffic lights and Bridge-Tunnel, I can see you wanting to take I-95 instead.

But I agree with pcity in avoiding DC and Northern Virginia by using I-97/US 301/US 17. I use that route to get to Elizabeth City NC and find it much preferable to I-95 through Northern Virginia. There are a lot of lights on US 301 in Southern Maryland, but I'd rather deal with that than with crawling backups on I-95. Going through Tappahannock is a bit of a slowdown, but not too bad (besides, you can stop at Parr's for an ice cream or milk shake).

Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,144,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
OK. I thought that coming from Philadelphia, it might be a good alternative, but if you prefer to avoid the traffic lights and Bridge-Tunnel, I can see you wanting to take I-95 instead.

But I agree with pcity in avoiding DC and Northern Virginia by using I-97/US 301/US 17. I use that route to get to Elizabeth City NC and find it much preferable to I-95 through Northern Virginia. There are a lot of lights on US 301 in Southern Maryland, but I'd rather deal with that than with crawling backups on I-95. Going through Tappahannock is a bit of a slowdown, but not too bad (besides, you can stop at Parr's for an ice cream or milk shake).
pcity's got it right. 301 will take you to the 301 toll bridge that enters VA.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 AM

Also, it's fun on the trip back, when everyone puts their foot down after getting past that last light coming out of Crofton.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:05 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,296,324 times
I go to Williamsburg fairly often. But I'm west of Baltimore, so no suggestions north of that.

95/295 is my normal route. I think avoiding the AM/PM rush is the big key. But since you'll be traveling on a Sunday, that won't matter as much. The rest is a crapshoot since you can't really plan for weather/accidents. Although Sundays may also mean construction (perhaps check the VDOT website to see if anything is up).

They've upgraded the 295/395 interchange in DC (I695?). I would suggest that instead of taking 295 all the way to 495. You'll basically cut through DC/Arlington, this then becomes 95 after 495. All else equal, it seems faster and more direct (one side of a triangle vs. two sides).

Old 01-15-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I go to Williamsburg fairly often. But I'm west of Baltimore, so no suggestions north of that.

95/295 is my normal route. I think avoiding the AM/PM rush is the big key. But since you'll be traveling on a Sunday, that won't matter as much. The rest is a crapshoot since you can't really plan for weather/accidents. Although Sundays may also mean construction (perhaps check the VDOT website to see if anything is up).

They've upgraded the 295/395 interchange in DC (I695?). I would suggest that instead of taking 295 all the way to 495. You'll basically cut through DC/Arlington, this then becomes 95 after 495. All else equal, it seems faster and more direct (one side of a triangle vs. two sides).
Looks more direct, but won't I-395 have more traffic cause it goes right through D.C. I am considering Route 301 also. But instead of 17 I am thinking on 301 until it reaches I-295 which will take me to I-64.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: