Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 11:43 AM

262 posts, read 2,026,185 times

Advertisements

Terwrld - Essex is a blue-collar area close to B-More, safe but some areas are run-down. You'll be upwind of the waste treatment plant so it beats Dundalk for sure. Have a few friends who grew up around here and are very loyal - it reminds me of a Midwest town. Some very affordable waterfront living, and a recent episode of "Sell This House" I think featured an Essex family (based on footage of the neighborhood and description of the location).

Chutney - The places you named are all very nice (Westminster perhaps less so because it's blue collar and far away from B-More and DC, but I personally like it) and in terms of "desirability" Towson & Columbia would be at the top of your list. The drawbacks to those areas - lots of apartments and THs in Columbia with lower income residents, and awful traffic in Towson. Your best bets for very safe areas with almost all single family homes, some nice gated communities, and houses generally $1M+ (I would assume this would be your price range for this area) would probably be Crownsville, Davidsonville, and Severna Park in AA County, Clarksville, Glenelg and Glenwood in Howard County, Eldersburg in Carroll County (you could get in here for $500-$700K easy), and Parkton, Monkton, and Stevenson in Baltimore County.

useridhere - I don't know anything about Sudbrook Middle Magnet - more info please? I'd be happy to fill you in on some general info on area schools. Stick with Howard County if you're looking for a public school system... For homes under $400K you can still find a very nice TH in Columbia, but if you want to go single family you should consider staying north of B-More. Otherwise it's considered a "DC suburb" and house prices will be accordingly higher.

pixieshmoo - Ocean City is great, I have been going there almost every year since I was a year old. Lots of memories, but I can't say I've "never run into anyone who wasn't nice" - lots of drunk redneck types, but hey, that's what makes it fun sometimes. And yes, it is reasonably safe for kids. Still a cool vacation spot, though I'd rather go to Delaware beaches to be honest... I definitely want to do an O.C. post soon. Always a blast to do dinner at a crab house, shower up and hit the "drunk bus" for a night at the boardwalk & Seacrets night club.

missebaby - Thanks for the laugh from the Pasadena crack... It's the perfect link between Severna Park & Glen Burnie though, if you know what I mean (bridging white & blue collar areas)... and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it over ANY other area around here for people looking for affordable homes, safety, decent schools, and water proximity. It's not Curtis Bay or anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2006, 01:37 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,345,223 times
Seacrets!!! Ahhh, the best beach club I've ever set foot on...much different than our "surf" club here. Cocktails, food, music (including Jimmy Buffet galore) who can complain?! I do like the Delaware beaches too, however, I haven't been to that many (mostly through them with a quick stop or two). I didn't like...hmm...I think it was Dewey but don't quote me. But that's because when I went it was all college kids and although I was only a few years out of college myself, it reminded me of an outdoor frat party (you realize how dumb you looked when you were that age, although at the time you thought you were cool ). Otherwise, in all seriousness, south of the DMB is definitely awesome!!

Ps. Yeah, the drunk rednecks can be fun and the "drunk bus" is definitely a major plus!

Old 05-12-2006, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,515 times
Default La Plata MD

Hi there, just wondering about La Plata and Charles County. My daughter has been offered a job teaching in Charles County and my wife and I are trying to find more information about the area. Any replys are welcomed. Thank you. Pete

Old 01-15-2007, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 15,993 times
Default Re: I'll try to post on a different MD city each day

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi PKoon,

I am a new member and need information on Leonardtown. I have a job opportunity lined up in this area and need to research the location first. If I decide to pursue this opportunity, it would be a huge change for me. I understand that St. Mary's County is known as the "country". My concern is an ability to adjust to a small town atmosphere if offered the position. I am a young (age 30) single professional who enjoys city living. I was very disappointed after discovering the DC area is more than an hour away.

As far as housing, which ideal locations provide easy access to the "City"? I am only going to consider pursuing the position if I am able to commute equally from the DC/Baltimore/VA area to Leonardtown in roughly 30-45 minutes.

I don't mind working in a boring community, but living in one day in and day out is hard on the mental. Can anyone relate?

Old 05-12-2007, 03:03 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,808,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missBelgium View Post
Hello,
I find this site and the forums very good with great info.
Me and my husband are from Belgium en we are planning a trip for one year to the usa. We would like to visit all 50 states in 50 weeks in 2010/2011.
I know it wil take lots of preparitions and lots of saving up money so that's why I already have started with looking up all kind of information.
Maryland is probably the first state we will go to (flying to Washington). All the info about the different cities in maryland is very usefull.
I also hope to come in contact with american people for extra info.

greetings from Belgium
Daisy and Alain
(and sorry if the english is not allways correct)
Hi there missBelgium! I have a suggestion. you should go to Frederick, MD! That's where I live and I think it's a wonderful place, especially when it's a sunny day. you should walk around the town because It's very nice and old. there are great restaurants and shops downtown. There's also a river walk. It has many bridges and shops on it. It's great! It's a very lovley town. Also, there's a thing called schifferstadt. It's the oldest house in Frederick. It belonged to the first settlers of Frederick, who were German. And you should know that you are in Downtown when you see a cluster of church spires. It's a great place to visit. Hope you come! I hope I was of help!

Old 05-14-2007, 10:16 AM

336 posts, read 721,348 times
Default Could use your help...

Born and mostly raised in Towson/Parkville. Went to college in Stevenson, lived in White Marsh just out of college, and lived in Hampstead for 5 years until moving to upstate NY 3 1/2 years ago. We are thinking about coming back but I honestly don't know what part to.

We are looking for:

1) affordable homes - we'd like to move just one more time so we'd like a large house with a good bit of land without having to pay $500,000 to get it...is that even possible in MD anymore??
2) SAFETY
3) great schools - we are even considering Christian schools but I hear one of the best is in Monkton at about $14,000 a year! Are there any good ones that aren't so expensive? Oh - and that don't push the kids at ridiculous speeds because all they care about are statistics? Harford Ctny/Forest Hill scares me for this reason.
4) Not old looking neighborhoods...some of the neighborhoods in Parkville have decent crime ratings but they look old and kind of run down - maybe that's the best thing to say - not "run down" looking. We'd like an area where the residents take pride in their homes and take care of them.

What do you suggest??

Last edited by isis297; 05-14-2007 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Left out...

Old 05-15-2007, 02:04 PM

336 posts, read 721,348 times
Hello? Just wondering if it was still possible to get your input.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,207 times
I really wish to run from atlanta people are not friendly at all hate the work atmosphere. Tell me where to go I was thinking about maryland I have two very active children One a girl 10 who won a modleing search and is haveing trouble with her grades but wants to be a doctor. My son11 honor student in middle school loves snakes and plays soccar, gymnastics and wants to be a herpatologist when he grows up. So I need good schools and kid friendly place. Myself used to teach now parapro am back in school for masters. I like people but need peace too. looking to rent first then buy. Low prices please.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:04 AM

969 posts, read 2,862,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isis297 View Post
Born and mostly raised in Towson/Parkville. Went to college in Stevenson, lived in White Marsh just out of college, and lived in Hampstead for 5 years until moving to upstate NY 3 1/2 years ago. We are thinking about coming back but I honestly don't know what part to.

We are looking for:

1) affordable homes - we'd like to move just one more time so we'd like a large house with a good bit of land without having to pay $500,000 to get it...is that even possible in MD anymore??
2) SAFETY
3) great schools - we are even considering Christian schools but I hear one of the best is in Monkton at about $14,000 a year! Are there any good ones that aren't so expensive? Oh - and that don't push the kids at ridiculous speeds because all they care about are statistics? Harford Ctny/Forest Hill scares me for this reason.
4) Not old looking neighborhoods...some of the neighborhoods in Parkville have decent crime ratings but they look old and kind of run down - maybe that's the best thing to say - not "run down" looking. We'd like an area where the residents take pride in their homes and take care of them.

What do you suggest??
Maryland Eastern Shore (if you don't mind the Chesapeake Bay Bridge)
http://www.mdkidspage.org/images/tn_baybridge.jpg

It is Queen Anne's County (look up zip codes such as 21638) - the people are friendly - the schools are safe (all children are bussed door to door) - there are lots of water and outdoor related activities - Ocean City is 2 hours away east - Washington DC - 1 hour west

Also look up Kent Island - another Eastern Shore area

Old 11-20-2007, 01:29 PM

101 posts, read 531,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantayw View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi PKoon,

I am a new member and need information on Leonardtown. I have a job opportunity lined up in this area and need to research the location first. If I decide to pursue this opportunity, it would be a huge change for me. I understand that St. Mary's County is known as the "country". My concern is an ability to adjust to a small town atmosphere if offered the position. I am a young (age 30) single professional who enjoys city living. I was very disappointed after discovering the DC area is more than an hour away.

As far as housing, which ideal locations provide easy access to the "City"? I am only going to consider pursuing the position if I am able to commute equally from the DC/Baltimore/VA area to Leonardtown in roughly 30-45 minutes.

I don't mind working in a boring community, but living in one day in and day out is hard on the mental. Can anyone relate?

I know you posted this question to PKoon, however as a long time St. Mary's county resident I thought I might be able to provide a little bit of insight.

First off, unless you're planning to teach, work at the Hospital, practice law, or enter the county Government, I'm not sure what line of work you'll find in Leonardtown. Patuxent River NAS is located in Lexington Park--as are most of the contractors and other industry--which is about a 15-20 minute commute from Leonardtown.

Leonardtown is not close to DC, Baltimore, or Virginia. It takes me 2.5 hours to get to Baltimore, 1.5 hours to get to the Virginia border, and my commute to and from DC can be up to 3 hours each way in rush hour traffic. Even when the roads are clear, it takes a good 1.5 hours to get to the city. About the closest "hot spot" you'll find is Solomon's Island, which is a quick 20 minute drive. It's actually one of the main reasons my husband and I are looking to leave the area.

Although I wouldn't exactly consider the Leonardtown area rural anymore, it's definitely no well-connected suburb. By the same token, it does have a great deal of small-town charm, and many people agree that it is a safe place to raise a family.

I would recommend visiting Southern Maryland Onlineâ„¢ - Your on-line community for Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's Counties.â„¢ for relocation information and to get an idea of some of the amenities in the area (don't let the loons on the forums scare you off, either). Otherwise, if you have any specific questions about the area I'd be happy to help you find answers. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland