Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:19 PM

126 posts, read 423,357 times

Advertisements

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned here. For anyone actually looking for information on Maryland's gun laws, check out mdshooters.com They've got a pretty good breakdown of the state's laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 02:27 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandre View Post
Constitution say alot of things, that Im 3/5 of a man for one.
Bad analogy...due to your spotty knowledge of American History. I guess you must have slept though your classes in high school.

If they had counted you as 5/5 back then, your slave-masters would have had more delegates, making slavery harder to contain via legislative means. It was the abolitionists (both black and white) who fought to count blacks as only 3/5 of a person for purposes of representation in the legislature, thereby giving the slaveholding states less representation. In fact, if you had been counted as 0/5 of a person, it would have been to your advantage.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:41 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Maryland gun laws? Here's all you need to know: this state hates the second amendment and it has deluded itself into thinking the police are there to protect you. News flash: they're not, they're there to take witness statements and power-spray your blood off the pavement after you've been mugged.

If there's one thing that makes me want to cross the Potomac and live in VA, it's our backwards-ass gun laws.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:25 AM

386 posts, read 655,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Maryland gun laws? Here's all you need to know: this state hates the second amendment and it has deluded itself into thinking the police are there to protect you. News flash: they're not, they're there to take witness statements and power-spray your blood off the pavement after you've been mugged.

If there's one thing that makes me want to cross the Potomac and live in VA, it's our backwards-ass gun laws.
Agreed. cops really dont give a damn around here too. I couldnt even get a cop to come out to 2 car break ins. I had to call back and took 4+ hours and I know for a fact they have nothing better to do as once I got pulled over for not having my front tag (didnt have a bracket yet) and I was surrounded by 5 cop cars...

Old 09-11-2011, 01:23 PM

226 posts, read 413,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yeah, but I visit the forums all the time. So, I don't think it's that unusual that I'd comment on a forum I regularly read.

Regarding gun laws. I've certainly heard those arguments many times.

However, let's say that the next American President claims himself or herself as American Dictator for Life and has full American military support with the Navy Seals and all the other kinds of amazing military technology we have under his or her power.

Is there really any way that all citizens rights to carry around a handgun during all our Wal-Mart visits, is it really going to collectively help us all take on the Navy Seals, all the legions of soldiers, all the advanced technology and weaponry they have, and get to this tyrant american president who will someday control them all out of office?

I have my doubts.

I could see it happening more with illegal bomb knowledge, illegal trade of massive weaponry illegally gained by other nations across other borders (to fight this future tyranical American President). I don't necessarily see it being fought by having some right to carry around a handgun during Wal-Mart visits and while eating at Pizza Hut.

Well, before even debating whether the military would support such an action, since its clearly unonstitutional, and the military would be well within its rights not to back it

the simple fact is the military constitutes less than 1% of the US population, SO if even 10% of the American citizenry is carrying, that creates quite an issue.

As for the actual history of such a mentality, it comes directly from the fact that disarming the national populace was a step common in all the previous European tyrannies the founding fathers wanted to prevent in the US.

Thus the 2nd Amendment. Keep in mind, the 2nd is not a "right" per se. THe bill of rights isn't actually about granting rights to people, its about placing restrictions on the government in order to prevent abuses of citizens. In the case of the 2nd, its not granting people the right to arm themselves. Its acknowledging that men have the right to arm themselves and specifically prohibiting the government from making any attempt to interfere with that right. (thus the wording "shall not be infringed")

Old 09-11-2011, 01:39 PM

226 posts, read 413,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Now I'm not saying I'm for banning the right to bear arms. It's just as a person who doesn't carry arms with him everywhere I go, I don't necessarily want to live in a society where all kinds of people of every walk of life, even the ones heavily drinking, high on drugs, having a bad day, and feeling like killing someone, are all walking around exhibiting their right to bear arms in public spheres at all times in all situations.

Which is why I'm all for individual states having their own rights according to the types of citizens they have and reflective of how they view such issues. Some people value a society with more gun rights and gun access, and others feel a bit less safe because of it. A free society should adequately reflect the interest of both types of people, and with 50 states, there should be a lot more freedom, and not all these federal-government universals all over the place. Take drinking laws, driving laws, zoning laws, restrictions on where to open a business, on and on. We have so many federal 'all 50 states' restrictions, it's head spinning on how many freedoms we've already lost sometimes.
The fallacies in this argument ae the fact that
1. Even when legally permitted to carry firearms, carrying while on drugs or intoxicated are still a no go. In fact, most states specifically will not allow you to carry in an establishment which makes more than 50% of its profit from alcohol. (the intent being you cannot carry to a bar)

2. Having a bad day or just feeling like killing someone is irrelevant. We don't feel any less comfortable with a person driving a car, using a knife or any other thing because he "just felt like killing someone". (I'm sure you remember the Japanese guy that used hairspray and a lighter of a random salesgirl's face because he just "wanted to do something bad") If someone wants to do hurt someone, they will, gun or no. People look at incidents like the VA tech shooting, the Gifford shooting, etc and think "wow with stricter handgun regs how would this have gone differently?" Answer? Not very. On the other hand, if more everyday citizens were armed, how might THAT have gone differently?

3. Some people might "feel safer" in unarmed societies, but others might feel safer in armed societies. As for statistics, the locations with LOOSER gun regulations historically have LOWER violent crime rates.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:48 PM

111 posts, read 91,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
So what's the real scoop with gun laws in Maryland and more importantly conceal carry permits? We are looking to reside in or near Frederick, so do purchase requirements vary between counties?

If CCWs are permitted, what's the process and how much do they infringe on the 2nd Amendment?

Are there gun shops near Frederick?

Thanks!!

Long story short: MD technically has CCW permits but you need either political connections or connections to high-ranking law enforcement to get one in most cases.

MD is currently being sued over this. Check back after that one has been adjudicated.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,854 times
Great breaking news!!! Looks like MD is going shall-issue! Hooray!

Federal Judge Rules Maryland Gun Permit Law Unconstitutional | Fox News

To the antis: POUND SAND!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:12 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
Great breaking news!!! Looks like MD is going shall-issue! Hooray!

Federal Judge Rules Maryland Gun Permit Law Unconstitutional | Fox News

To the antis: POUND SAND!
Say it with me, Shall issue, Shall issue, Shall issue! Hmmm...of course that would mean I need to buy a carry-size gun.

Last edited by westsideboy; 03-05-2012 at 03:49 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Not to **** in anyone's Cheerios here but I hope everyone knows the O' Malley Administration will appeal this to the full Court in the hopes of dragging it out long enough that a reelected Obama will have appointed one or two more Associate Justices to the Supreme Court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland