Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 PM

9 posts, read 22,639 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

First off, I will be moving to the Maryland area in July. I am coming to Maryland as a single 24 year old, who likes to go out mainly on the weekends. I've been really looking at Columbia & Ellicott City. I like the feel and vibe of Ellicott City, but Columbia seems to be more centralized to things (such as stores, movies, etc.) Is there enough in Ellicott that I don't have to drive 20-30mins to get things? Would it be smarter to live in Columbia and visit Ellicott or vice versa? Which place has more of a younger single population? If you had to choose which place would you pick?

What are your Pros/Cons of Columbia & Ellicott and why? Please! Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 07:05 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior54 View Post
Is there enough in Ellicott that I don't have to drive 20-30mins to get things? Would it be smarter to live in Columbia and visit Ellicott or vice versa? Which place has more of a younger single population? If you had to choose which place would you pick?
First off, where will you be working? I'd place closeness to work in the criteria.

Secondly, do you want to use the gyms and pools offered by the Columbia Association? I think access to pools etc would be included in the rent in both places. If you live in EC, you will have to pay gym fees.

Thirdly, how important is the shopping aspect? Do you have to have organic food, for example? There is probably more of everything in Columbia, but EC has decent offerings about 10 minutes up the road on Route 40.

I don't have a head-count but I suspect more young people hang out in the bars in the old part of EC. I'd check out what is offered as rental apartments and houses in EC. But if you don't find what you like, then there are plenty of decent apartments in Columbia. It is not that far of a drive to EC for entertainment.

My vote would be to live in EC if I could find an apartment with a workout room and an indoor pool. Otherwise I'd vote for Columbia.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:55 PM

9 posts, read 22,639 times
I will be working at Ft. Meade. I'm worried maybe the drive from Columbia would be shorter then EC, but my question is how much shorter?

I've found this apartment complex that I like: "Burgess Mill Station."

Can anybody speak about this complex?

Old 04-02-2014, 06:14 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Hello All,

First off, I will be moving to the Maryland area in July. I am coming to Maryland as a single 24 year old, who likes to go out mainly on the weekends. I've been really looking at Columbia & Ellicott City. I like the feel and vibe of Ellicott City, but Columbia seems to be more centralized to things (such as stores, movies, etc.) Is there enough in Ellicott that I don't have to drive 20-30mins to get things? Would it be smarter to live in Columbia and visit Ellicott or vice versa? Which place has more of a younger single population? If you had to choose which place would you pick?

What are your Pros/Cons of Columbia & Ellicott and why? Please! Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Both Ellicott City and Columbia are on the smaller side and for the most part are one combined city. If you live in Ellicott City, you will go into Columbia a lot, and, if you live in Columbia you will go into Ellicott City a lot.

Yes, Ellicott City has everything you will need, and all within a ten minute or less drive. Between Ellicott City and Baltimore is Catonsville, which will offer even more opportunities for shopping.

Historic Ellicott City is a huge tourist destination and can get quite crowded during the summer. The main drag (aka Main Street ) is also home to a good number of bars and/or restaurants. Many of which are frequent watering holes for both Columbia and Ellicott City residents. For example: The Judges Bench (one of the best bars in the area, more so for the selection. It is not a meat market or a club or a dive bar. They do have couches upstairs and Nintendo hooked up to TVs) and The Phoenix (more of a younger hey-I-just-turned-21 type of crowd). There is also LaPlaya, which is a club. In my opinion I would not recommend it, but it is one of the few clubs in the area.

Columbia has the Columbia Mall, which is currently undergoing some renovation with the addition of a few higher-end stores. In my opinion it is trying to compete with some of the higher end shopping found in Silver Spring, Chevy Chase, and Bethesda.

As for which has more young singles...I would lean towards Ellicott City.

Even though I live in Columbia I would rather live in Ellicott City.

For pros and cons, they are almost equal.

Quote:
I will be working at Ft. Meade. I'm worried maybe the drive from Columbia would be shorter then EC, but my question is how much shorter?

There are a good number of Military personnel who work at Fort Meade and live in Columbia. The drive from Columbia will be shorter, but honestly by maybe ten minutes tops.

I am not sure about Burgess Mill Station.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:59 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
I have not been in it, but I like that it is next door to the County's new indoor pool and rec center. The Roger Carter Center has a gorgeous pool and a climbing wall as well as cardio equipment, and it is newer and nicer than anything in the Columbia Association.

The apartment is also very close to downtown Ellicott City, and also close to the shopping on Route 40. I think it would be fine for the OP.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:11 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Ellicott City does seem a little slower paced than Columbia and more of an area with a larger concentration of families. If I was your age and single, I'd definitely stay in Columbia. I think you'll be happier there. There is more to do, more restaurants, more shopping, its central to DC and Baltimore, whereas EC puts you further north.

edit to say that its about a 25 minute commute from Ft. Meade to the EC area near Rt. 29/SR40 area.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 PM

580 posts, read 777,378 times
EC seems to be more family oriented. It's definitely sleepy, especially along the route 40 corridor (Bare Bones, and the irish bar are the only two places I can think of that seem to be open late-night on the weekends). Downtown EC is probably a bit more lively.

Columbia definitely has more to do, but is more suburby (never was a huge fan of going to restaurant bars to meet people).

If I were still single, would be going to DC or Baltimore (in that order) IMHO.

Depending on when you are leaving, commutes from Columbia and EC can be pretty painful.

Have you considered Hanover? There is a lot to do around Arundel Mills, and traffic is painless in the morning

Old 04-08-2014, 02:40 PM

265 posts, read 510,030 times
Welcome. Both areas are boring. If like going out to bars or clubs you need to go to DC or Baltimore. Be prepared for the aweful traffic. It's a nightmare.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:37 PM

9 posts, read 17,068 times
Burgess Mill is a new apt complex and I have 3 friends that live there. The amenities there are nice and it is only 200 yards to Main Street. Historic Main Street has 13 bar/ restaurants and a brewery and lots of different shops.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-10-2014 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Soliciting business is against the TOS

Old 05-01-2014, 09:37 AM

25 posts, read 90,850 times
I wouldn't give you 2 cents for Columbia MD, too over crowded over priced and crime is in the air there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland