Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,733 times

Advertisements

I am a Native Baltimorean. My dad's family comes from Va and NC and my mom's people comes from the eastern shore of Maryland and SC. So I'm not sure if my accent is northern or southern. When talking to people on the phone, they say I sound like I'm from NY others say I sound like I'm from the south. So this makes me feel confused about my accent. Help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 02:56 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
You're a Marylander, it comes with the territory lol. It's the same thing with us Marylanders here on the DC side of the state. To some, we sound like we're from the Philly area (some even think California) whereas to others, we sound like we're from the Carolinas. Just like with the DC accent, the Baltimore accent sounds like a blend between regional accents/dialects to me. Depends on how you look at it. You can also always say that they have an accent or talk funny while you don't lol

Old 09-15-2014, 12:43 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
I am from California and I have yet to meet one person from Maryland who sounds, let alone talks, like a Californian. For starters, people who were BORN in California have a tendency to mix Mexican Spanish, in particular slang, into their everyday speech no matter how "white" they are. And if they don't they in the very least will understand what is being said.

Even the Californian stoner/surfer drawl is nothing like a "Southern" drawl.

I have also not met anyone who claims to be from Baltimore to have a "Baltimore" accent.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:56 PM

581 posts, read 969,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I have also not met anyone who claims to be from Baltimore to have a "Baltimore" accent.
I've noticed people talking in "Baltimorese" to each other but then switching to a more standard accent when talking to strangers/non-Baltimoreans.

It's the same here in Southern MD. A lot of people have Virginia-like accents but then switch to a standard accent in a more formal context, or around people they don't know.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:20 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I've noticed people talking in "Baltimorese" to each other but then switching to a more standard accent when talking to strangers/non-Baltimoreans.

It's the same here in Southern MD. A lot of people have Virginia-like accents but then switch to a standard accent in a more formal context, or around people they don't know.
That's pretty common. Most people, conscious or not, try to conform to the accent of the person they are speaking with, or the standard dialect if the person is proficient in both.

A few drinks normally gets rid of that tendency though. So, buy a Baltimorean a few drinks and watch the accent flow.

Maryland doesn't have a single accent. We are right on the line between the Midland and Southern dialect regions. And even then the Southern accent of St. Mary's County is different than the accent of Worcester or Dorchester Counties on the Eastern Shore. Likewise the Midland speech of mid-Maryland is distinct from the more Northern Appalachian flavored midland speech out my way.

Anybody here ever stove their finger? This is a dialect trait I have never found east of Sideling Hill among native Marylanders.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:38 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
I've lived in the Baltimore area all my life. In the fall of 1975, I was in Boulder, Colorado, at CU. One night, "Pink Flamingos", which I'd heard of, but never seen, played at one of the campus theaters. I went to the showing with some friends. One from Southern California, one from Detroit, one from Boston, and one from Milwaukee. I was sitting next to the guy from California. About ten minutes into the movie, he turned to me and said, "Jesus Christ, P47, EVERYBODY in this movie sounds EXACTLY like YOU."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland