Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 4,257 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering several opportunities for relocation and one of the opportunities is in Columbia MA. We have 2 small children and my wife stays at home with them. I am very excited about the Columbia area, my wife on the other had has some concerns. We know that the cost of living is roughly 25% higher in Columbia and the increase in income in the new position will compensate for that. The main thing we would love feedback on is what day to day living is like in Columbia? Also what fun things are there to do for young children? We now live in a very conservative area, any ideas on how that will change the environment living in Columbia?

Big thanks in advance for your input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 09:46 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
MA or MD?

Old 11-30-2014, 10:39 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevr4 View Post
Also what fun things are there to do for young children? We now live in a very conservative area, any ideas on how that will change the environment living in Columbia?
I am assuming you meant Columbia Maryland. The town is a planned community with recreation centers and playgrounds in every village. That means that the SAHM's just have to walk down the street to a playground. If she is more ambitious, she can take the kids to the indoor pool for swimming lessons, or to the rec center for ballet, or to the ice rink for skating. In other words there are a zillion things to do.

Columbia is generally a progressive, liberal area. It has an Inter-Faith Center for religious meetings. However, nobody will bother you if you prefer to attend a traditional church, and probably nobody will ask if you attend church. You will see numerous mixed race and mixed religion families, even same-sex couples, so you may have to explain some things to your kids.

On the whole, I think you would enjoy living in Columbia. But if you think you need a conservative area, you could move to Frederick or Carroll Counties.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:18 PM

Sorry yes MD!

Old 11-30-2014, 06:23 PM

Thank you for the great comment! I appreciate the input and thoughts into the environment. We realize we will have to explain some things to the kids coming from such a conservative and sheltered as west Texas. This next week I will be in town for my third visit and this will be my wife's first visit. Are there any sites or things you recommend we visit to get a good feel for the area?

Big Thanks

Old 11-30-2014, 06:35 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
This next week I will be in town for my third visit and this will be my wife's first visit. Are there any sites or things you recommend we visit to get a good feel for the area?
I think you should just show your wife Columbia-- both the east and west side residential areas and village centers, the town center, the pools and tennis courts.

Columbia is different from most suburbs, and you have to realize how it works. The village centers are tucked away with very inconspicuous signs. Show her some of the schools, and locate an appropriate church.

It sounds like you wife needs to be reassured that it would be a good move for the family. You might also drive out to some of the Clarksville or Marriottsville developments to give her some more rural options.

I would save the tourist stuff like the Inner Harbor for later. But if you do have some time, visit downtown Ellicott City. It is old and charming, and you can see most of it in a three-block walk. You might find handmade presents for the kids or have a nice meal.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-30-2014 at 07:02 PM..

Old 11-30-2014, 07:19 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
Quote:
Sorry yes MD!
Alright, MD it is Just to ease your wife's mind... Columbia is politically liberal but culturally, I find it pretty conservative while being accepting and welcoming at the same time. We are a military family and we've always lived in "conservative" military towns. I didn't need to explain anything to my kids when we moved here, but your experiences may vary. There are plenty of nearby towns that will have a more semi-ruralish vibe that tend to vote conservatively if that's important to your wife to hang with more like minded families. Also, you do not have to live in Columbia to enjoy it. We live in Ellicott City but still joined the Columbia Association for all the fun kid things and often end up there for our kids sports as well.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:48 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
I grew up in Columbia, and my parents still live there. Although things have changed a little through the years, it is a town that is revolves around families. It is very diverse and tolerant. You will see many inter-racial couples. It is socially liberal.

There is a large mall (that has become somewhat of a 'mega-mall'- movie theater, cheesecake factory, etc), a lake front with restaurants, lots of parks/recreations, youth sports leagues, plenty of shopping, and social clubs for adults.

You are also in a good location to make weekends trips to Baltimore, DC, Annapolis, and even NYC/ Philadelphia for cultural experiences.

Ellicott City is also a nice town that is adjacent to Columbia that offers nice restaurants, parks, and cultural activities. Columbia has a reputation as being a little to 'suburbia' for some, but you are close enough to other towns like Ellicott City, Silver Spring and others that are thought of as a having a little more character.

Great location, diverse, good schools, and plenty to do. I would recommend you and your family coming to visit the area for a few days to get a feel for yourself to see if it's a good match.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 AM

226 posts, read 483,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I grew up in Columbia, and my parents still live there. Although things have changed a little through the years, it is a town that is revolves around families. It is very diverse and tolerant. You will see many inter-racial couples. It is socially liberal.

There is a large mall (that has become somewhat of a 'mega-mall'- movie theater, cheesecake factory, etc), a lake front with restaurants, lots of parks/recreations, youth sports leagues, plenty of shopping, and social clubs for adults.

You are also in a good location to make weekends trips to Baltimore, DC, Annapolis, and even NYC/ Philadelphia for cultural experiences.

Ellicott City is also a nice town that is adjacent to Columbia that offers nice restaurants, parks, and cultural activities. Columbia has a reputation as being a little to 'suburbia' for some, but you are close enough to other towns like Ellicott City, Silver Spring and others that are thought of as a having a little more character.

Great location, diverse, good schools, and plenty to do. I would recommend you and your family coming to visit the area for a few days to get a feel for yourself to see if it's a good match.
Was just about to ask for info on Columbia when I saw your post. thanks for you post. my wife and I are looking to move away from Florida in search better jobs opportunities. we are an interracial family with kids and you post mention that Columbia is very Liberia and Accommodating. that's what we are looking for. Thank again for your post.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:52 AM

226 posts, read 483,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN246 View Post
Was just about to ask for info on Columbia when I saw your post. thanks for you post. my wife and I are looking to move away from Florida in search better jobs opportunities. we are an interracial family with kids and you post mention that Columbia is very Liberia and Accommodating. that's what we are looking for. Thank again for your post.
PS Could you recommend a zip code or Neighborhood to start our search. Thanks again by the way you can PM me anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland