Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 5,549 times

Advertisements

As I described, I will be working in DC and my husband will be working in Baltimore. We are looking for a decent neighborhood between the two cities for a growing family. Schools are going to be an important factor, followed by finding something with decent commute times both ways. Price range in the 400k-550k range for a single family house.

Any suggestions and why you suggested the neighborhoods would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 04:33 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
In Anne Arundel County... Crofton or Odenton(Piney Orchard subdivision) In Howard County... Columbia or Elkridge. www.greatschools.com for school ratings/reviews Also, do you know where in DC the job will be located? Is distance to public transportation important?

Old 12-03-2014, 07:32 AM

Downtown DC near Chinatown/Penn Quarter. Prefer to drive in both directions if possible.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:03 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubova View Post
Downtown DC near Chinatown/Penn Quarter. Prefer to drive in both directions if possible.
That's pretty deep into DC... personally, I wouldn't attempt to drive it if you'll be working during peak hours. With your budget, I'd check out the Odenton/Crofton area. Plus, should you decide the drive is nuts, there is a MARC station in Odenton.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:23 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Yeah I agree that drive would be difficult. I'm a driver and hate riding trains but there really isn't a good spot in between the 2 cities to drive in to DC easliy. Baltimore not so much

That is a pretty good budget, certainly Columbia or Crofton maybe good spots to start.

Welcome to Maryland!

Old 12-03-2014, 12:35 PM

How long would you estimate the drive to take to drive from Columbia to downtown Washington D.C.? Any better from Odenton/Crofton?

Old 12-03-2014, 12:57 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,778 times
Route 29 from Columbia to DC can be a long cumbersome commute with speed cameras everywhere once you hit Montgomery County. If you leave very early in the morning the traffic flow is not as heavy. Also starting in November/December 2014, commuting from Columbia to DC on route 29 is going to be a challenge driving as there is a major renovation of Military Road NW and 16th street bridge in DC. So probably a lot of Route 29 traffic will dump onto GA avenue causing delays!! Odenton is a good midpoint and Silver Spring too. The metro is your friend. You can ride the Metro on the RED Line from Glenmont to Shady Grove, there is a Gallery Place Chinatown exit. The marc train's Penn Line route travels from Union in DC to Penn Station in Baltimore with Odenton being one of the busiest stops. The Marc train can be a pain and crowded and all those things a commuter train is. But it's the easiest way to get between the two cities of DC and Baltimore. There is Amtrak, but that is more expensive. From downtown Baltimore there is also access to BW Parkway (295) that connects the two cities. You will come right into downtown DC from Baltimore.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:10 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubova View Post
Have you check the prices of monthly parking passes? It will be probably over $200/month. Factor in the wear and tear on your car, and you are better off using public transportation.

When I used to drive from Columbia to downtown DC, it was over an hour in good traffic. The problem is the city streets, either 16th or Georgia Avenue have traffic lights every few blocks. The city streets are also either full of potholes or under repair.

I really suggest living in Columbia, where you can both catch an MTA bus to your respective destinations. For example the 305 route goes from Columbia to Washington DC. The 310 goes from Columbia to Baltimore. Find the routes here: http://mta.maryland.gov/commuter-bus The monthly pass is $119, and the Transit link is $125, allowing use of the Metro. TLC info here: http://mta.maryland.gov/commuter-bus-tlc

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-03-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 06:23 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
It's pretty clear the OP wants to drive so we should continue to try to help and stop suggesting the train IMO. As posted that Columbia commute will be extremely tedious. Can someone from AA county chime in? What about say Bowie or some place out Rt. 50?

Old 12-07-2014, 07:42 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
It's pretty clear the OP wants to drive so we should continue to try to help and stop suggesting the train IMO. As posted that Columbia commute will be extremely tedious. Can someone from AA county chime in? What about say Bowie or some place out Rt. 50?
No one mentioned Bowie because of the schools and neighborhoods. Neighborhoods in South Bowie and Pointer Ridge arent good. Tasker and Bowie High are not good as they used to be.

I would suggest Odenton or Hanover. MARC Train is over there and can get to DC and also right off B/W Parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland