Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 05:05 PM

386 posts, read 656,830 times

Advertisements

I used to like snow until this and last winter. Now I HATE it. I have always hated cold weather and anything short of 50F is uncomfortable but I tolerated it as a youth. Usually east of Fredrick doesnt get much if any snow in a typical winter save for once a decade we get what we call a blizzard(the north laughs when we call it such). But most winters we are lucky if we get any real accumulation. But beign as we have now had 2 consecutive freak winters Im starting to assume we might be going through a mini iceage (happened about 200-300 years ago killing some endemic plants). I know its not crazy to sometimes dip into the 20s at night time every so often but to have so many day time experience bellow freezing just feels wrong and I have lived here my whole life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 05:13 PM

7,050 posts, read 11,352,615 times
I don't mind cold, I just bundle up like that kid from Christmas Story. Snow can be annoying, but fun in moderate doses. What I hate are the short gray days. It can be as cold as its wants, but if it is sunny, I am in a good mood.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:15 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,867,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I don't mind cold, I just bundle up like that kid from Christmas Story. Snow can be annoying, but fun in moderate doses. What I hate are the short gray days. It can be as cold as its wants, but if it is sunny, I am in a good mood.
I'm with you on the sunny part. My batteries go dead and I get grumpy when it's grey and cloudy. Bring on the sun and even if it's cold and I'm inside, I am much happier.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:54 PM

478 posts, read 810,992 times
If I had to pick either or, mountains no question.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:01 AM

16,341 posts, read 10,462,058 times
Has this really been such a freaky bad winter? I say that as it's 5 degrees outside, which is odd. But other than this cold streak and the one several weeks ago I was thinking this winter was kind of mild. Certainly on the snow count we are low.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:04 AM

386 posts, read 656,830 times
With day time lows well bellow average and we have gotten a whope mess of snow. Heck we got 4 or 5in in one storm this past weekend! For being on the fall line thats a good storm.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:23 AM

27,669 posts, read 28,766,428 times
I personally prefer the mountains in western Maryland, especially near Deep Creek Lake.

However, I end up going to Ocean City often for the family. The variety of activities in that area have increased dramatically over the years. It's still kind of funny because I'm not much of a beach person.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:23 PM

66 posts, read 126,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
OC = very mild winters and mild summers.
Mountains = colder but still mild winters and similar to OC summers.

I love visiting the mountains and I do so twice a year with camping/hunting trips, but if I had to choose Im coastal all the way. Plus who says you cant live in either and travel easily to the other when you need to change things up! We have now had 2 freak winters (2013-2014 and 2014-2015) with temps all over the state dropping to bellow our normal lows by a good margin. But the sheer fact that you can grow sabals and other palms in the delmarva region make it much more appealing to a cold hater like myself.
Garrett County can have long and relatively brutal winters.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:14 AM

790 posts, read 1,883,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wycoff View Post
Garrett County can have long and relatively brutal winters.
No truer words have EVER been spoken! My aunt, uncle and cousins live in Garrett County. Moved out there in the early 90s. I visited my uncle in 2006, and he was keeping count of snow fall that winter. It was well over 200 inches. This past winter was no different. I'm pretty sure they got over 200 inches again.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:19 AM

42 posts, read 56,607 times
I love both environments very much! If I had to choose just one, I'd probably take the Ocean. Theres just something about the flat rural landscape of the Eastern Shore that attracts me. Probably the fact that you can see for miles across the land. One of the beauties of Maryland is that you can drive a few hours in the other direction and find yourself in a totally new landscape. I have a good friend who lives in Garrett County and I visit up there as often as I can. It's refreshing to spend time in the Mountains with the fresh air. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland