Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:48 AM

240 posts, read 1,065,682 times

Advertisements

Why is it on here when people have a strong opinion on something most of you have to rebut it w/ all your studies and so forth. It's like if you don't like it we have to hurry and search the net and find something to prove them wrong or so you think. When there were tons of farms and such around (before they sold out to build all of your developments) the bay wasn't in that bad of shape??? Are you saying, people in general have nothing to do w/ the way the bay is??? And for pesticides on the lawn..I have seen it plenty of times where the majority of people in the fancy developments do have a lawn company come out and spray their lawns weekly. I am not ignorant, I just don't like when people think they know everything just because of studies that people have put out. How much truth is in the studies??? Its a bunch of people putting together their thoughts. It's kinda like the wine is good for you then its not.

Last edited by mom2boys37; 01-15-2008 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: spelled wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 06:03 AM

196 posts, read 796,095 times
Well, I am a farmer, but I do agree that agriculture is partially responsible for the bay. However, ag has changed a lot in the last 50 years. The "family farm" is hardly the culprit as much as the "factory farm" that has a large concentration of livestock in a small area. They run out of acreage to spread the manure in reasonable amounts, and so they have to double up somewhere, there's just no getting around it. However, the housing delevopements have to share some blame as well. There are now more acres of lawn than acres of farmland. While not everyone hires Chemlawn, many do. Plus, Md. for one, uses LOTS of icemelt of some variety on thier roads during winter. That all ends up in the bay. Plus, the population in Md. and Va keeps expanding. Mankind leaves a footprint, period. While ag is partly to blame, you certainly can't say it's solely to blame.

And I think we're forgetting the fact that oysters are a great "oil filter", and they've been so over harvested that there are few natural beds left. Which seems to me would also make the water dirtier.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:15 AM

915 posts, read 3,181,149 times
Mom2boy:

Read my whole sentence but even you type...sigh....did i fully blame on farming one and only pollutant at the bay? Farming is just one of them..Is people like whoever continue shifting the blame to someone else and hope others will forget the original problem and they not willing to accept the facts or even remotely an idea why this world is turning to ****e?

Old 01-15-2008, 08:12 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
The bay has been in bad shape for a long time before suburbanization started. Far before it was en vouge to pine for its healthy return, Oyster, crab, rockfish, and other species have been on decline or own the verge of collapse.

I don't think anybody here is trying to say that farming is SOLELY responsible for the sickness of the bay, but it is a major, major contributor. When you say something that is inaccurate you should expect people to try to inform you otherwise. When you then deny, you only dig yourself deeper.

I also don't use lawn treater. I encourage weeds to grow. Early spring dandelions boiled and topped with olive oil and fresh lemon are to die for.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1013 View Post
Our family is being relocated to MD because of my husband's job. We have been kind of excited about the move, because we've never lived anywhere other than KY. I love history and culture and the schools are much better than the ones here, but everywhere we turn there's so much negativity about moving to MD from people who live there. People keep telling me that unless you make $200K a year it's not worth it. We're moving either to Frederick or Rockville areas. We make about $95k a year and are looking to rent for a while to make sure we like the area. Is it feasible to live in that area with an income like that? We found large townhouse in a good neighborhood for $1500/m, which seemed like a good price to me. Is there any thing good about relocating to MD?
Frederick is okay as long as you are not commuting to DC. You aren't far from the beautiful western part of the state and West Virginia. But the traffic (I-270) heading to DC --- UGH! Be prepared for a huge car insurance increase.

Stay out of Montgomery County.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutgarden View Post
Well, I am a farmer, but I do agree that agriculture is partially responsible for the bay. However, ag has changed a lot in the last 50 years. The "family farm" is hardly the culprit as much as the "factory farm" that has a large concentration of livestock in a small area. They run out of acreage to spread the manure in reasonable amounts, and so they have to double up somewhere, there's just no getting around it. However, the housing delevopements have to share some blame as well. There are now more acres of lawn than acres of farmland. While not everyone hires Chemlawn, many do. Plus, Md. for one, uses LOTS of icemelt of some variety on thier roads during winter. That all ends up in the bay. Plus, the population in Md. and Va keeps expanding. Mankind leaves a footprint, period. While ag is partly to blame, you certainly can't say it's solely to blame.

And I think we're forgetting the fact that oysters are a great "oil filter", and they've been so over harvested that there are few natural beds left. Which seems to me would also make the water dirtier.

And this was the whole point I was trying to make. Ty

Old 01-16-2008, 02:12 PM

6 posts, read 47,469 times
I love Maryland but I lived in Annappolis and that was really nice

Old 01-17-2008, 12:30 PM

315 posts, read 1,300,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhelfoioracle View Post
Oh yeah I leave my front door unlocked and my car unlocked and gee nothings ever happened...
What your address again?

Old 01-17-2008, 02:03 PM

hahahaha..don't u know they have no need to feel unsafe..they are in their community bubble that no outsiders dare go into

Old 01-18-2008, 05:55 AM

24 posts, read 54,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2boys37 View Post
Why is it on here when people have a strong opinion on something most of you have to rebut it w/ all your studies and so forth. It's like if you don't like it we have to hurry and search the net and find something to prove them wrong or so you think. When there were tons of farms and such around (before they sold out to build all of your developments) the bay wasn't in that bad of shape??? Are you saying, people in general have nothing to do w/ the way the bay is??? And for pesticides on the lawn..I have seen it plenty of times where the majority of people in the fancy developments do have a lawn company come out and spray their lawns weekly. I am not ignorant, I just don't like when people think they know everything just because of studies that people have put out. How much truth is in the studies??? Its a bunch of people putting together their thoughts. It's kinda like the wine is good for you then its not.
because studies, evidence, and cold hearted facts represent the truth - at least it can represent it better then anecdotal evidence. anecdotal evidence and "i heard" does nothing but spread false information.

i believe the rebuttal you are referring to simply stated that the poor condition of the bay is not only attributable to housing development and growth, but also due to farming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland