Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 02:03 PM

4 posts, read 6,626 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband is being transferred from San Diego to Pax naval base in July. We're not familiar with Maryland and won't get a chance to scout Southern MD before we have to make the move and was wondering what areas/neighborhoods would be good choices. We're in our early 30's, Elementary aged kids, we're not party people but do enjoy outdoor/family activities/movies/dining/shopping/concerts etc. We would like to stay under 30 min commute to the naval base. Decent school, affordable but low crime rates. I've read a few threads but they seem to be a few years old. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 02:28 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Southern Calvert County in the Lusby area. Calvert has the better school system. Downside is the commute over the Thomas Johnson bridge in Solomon's. It can be problematic.

Northern St. Mary's around Leonardtown.

Traffic around the base can be difficult.

What's your price range (I know BAH impacts that)?

Both areas are pretty rural, St. Mary's more so.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Southern Calvert County in the Lusby area. Calvert has the better school system. Downside is the commute over the Thomas Johnson bridge in Solomon's. It can be problematic.

Northern St. Mary's around Leonardtown.

Traffic around the base can be difficult.

What's your price range (I know BAH impacts that)?

Both areas are pretty rural, St. Mary's more so.

Thank you for responding. We're planning on renting for the time being, ideally we'd like to stay under the $1700 range for a three bedroom. I did read other threads about the areas you mentioned but just having a hard time figuring out which of those to concentrate on. Which area would you say is the least "rural"? I don't mind so much the area being rural but am worried about (and I hope I don't sound too ignorant) the 'culture shock'. I am asian and my husband is Caucasian and not quite the typical "soccer mom". Also, I'm not sure if you've ever been to southern California (San Diego/la) but would the commute to so. Calvert county be comparable to San Diego traffic?

Old 04-21-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmgrwnrose View Post
Thank you for responding. We're planning on renting for the time being, ideally we'd like to stay under the $1700 range for a three bedroom. I did read other threads about the areas you mentioned but just having a hard time figuring out which of those to concentrate on. Which area would you say is the least "rural"? I don't mind so much the area being rural but am worried about (and I hope I don't sound too ignorant) the 'culture shock'. I am asian and my husband is Caucasian and not quite the typical "soccer mom". Also, I'm not sure if you've ever been to southern California (San Diego/la) but would the commute to so. Calvert county be comparable to San Diego traffic?
Not at all like San Diego. The problem is that the road system is rural. Many 2 lane roads. The bridge I mentioned is one such (it freaks people out, the Navy required the State to build it high enough that a carrier or battleship could go under it). An accident on it shuts down both lanes so you're stuck.

The area is not remotely San Diego urban. Although there are plenty of groceries you still have to plan your trip. The nearest mall is in Waldorf, 40(?) miles away. Most of the stores in Solomon's are aimed at tourists.

You would call both sides of the bridge "rural".

Oh, you'll have culture shock and it will have nothing to do with being an Asian/White couple. The pace of life is s l o w e r.

If your husband is Navy he could maybe ask around his unit, there may be guys who've been here.

http://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/ndw...d_lodging.html

I absolutely hate linking you to here:

http://forums.somd.com/

Old 04-21-2015, 03:15 PM

lol thank you for the links. Funny, I did attempt to scour through the somd threads but it was all over the place. My husband is in the marines and is asking a few people he knows in the area (I was just antsy and wanted to do a little research on my own). 40 miles to the nearest mall...thank goodness I don't go to the mall. Of all the places you mentioned which would you recommend that would be most "city-like"?

Old 04-21-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmgrwnrose View Post
lol thank you for the links. Funny, I did attempt to scour through the somd threads but it was all over the place. My husband is in the marines and is asking a few people he knows in the area (I was just antsy and wanted to do a little research on my own). 40 miles to the nearest mall...thank goodness I don't go to the mall. Of all the places you mentioned which would you recommend that would be most "city-like"?
Neither.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusby,_Maryland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardtown,_Maryland

Old 04-23-2015, 10:31 AM

54 posts, read 114,249 times
Default Re:

The closest thing you might get to a city is Waldorf up in Charles County (which is not a city), or Annapolis. Otherwise, you'll have to go up around DC .

I don't know exactly how bad the commute would be, but you could consider Charlotte Hall in the northern part of St. Mary's or Hughesville. But that may be a stretch. Leonardtown is a cute little area but it is small. They do have some nice local restaurants. And just as North Beach Person said- you will be in for a shock. I don't know how to describe Southern Maryland (and not all of it is bad) but it is different and very rural.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland