Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:21 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating soon to Harford county for my job at APG. We went up for a visit awhile back and looked at the areas of Aberdeen, Havre de Grace, Bel Air, along with some of the more rural areas north of Aberdeen and Havre de Grace (not sure of the community names). Bel Air awas the most appealing area, but after years of dealing with an hour (each way) commute in DC traffic, I want to be closer to APG. Now I'm browsing through the MLS listings, and there are a lot of houses that appeal to us in Abingdon and Joppa/Joppatown (plus they are closer to the bay). Can anyone tell me about these areas? We have been working with a real estate agent, but she hasn't been much help. When we mentioned Joppatown, we got a CYA response like "I can't steer you to or away from neighborhoods, but talk to some people." Not that helpful when you know no one. Is there something wrong with Abingdon and Joppatown? FWIW - I'm a researcher, my husband is blue collar. I am more comfortable with the blue collar crowd than he is with the PhD crowd.

And if anyone can help us out - we want a between a quarter and a full acre, single family home with a garage, no more than 35 years old (husband will not live with plaster walls), and close to water with boat ramps (we have a boat or 3, mostly lake fisherpeople). We are early 30's, no kids, and want it to be safe enough to walk the dog around the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 08:13 PM

7 posts, read 16,321 times
I'm new to the boards here and actually researching a relo to the Phoenix Area. I live in Bel Air now and thought I'd give you some ideas. Harford County will be experiencing an increase in population over the years due to new jobs at APG, as evident in your post!

The thin strip from the Harford/Baltimore County line between I-95 and Route 40 is viewed some folks in the area as not the most desirable part of the county. This portion has crime rates and incidents that are higher than other areas. Most say because of Route 40 and Route 7 where there are older somewhat depressed areas nearby. It's not all bad though. There are plenty of new developments going up in this area and this trend will continue with the growth of jobs in the area. If you are set on being "that" close to the base and water, You can see plenty of townhomes and new SF homes going up. Check near 24 and route 40 for example. Abingdon, on the north side of I-95 on route 24 is not that bad either. It's just a bit more crowded there.

You didn't mention children but the schools in the Abingdon/Edgewood are said to not be as strong as other areas. Keep in mind that if you looked at the 21014 or 21015 zipcode areas, you are still only about 15, 20 minutes tops to APG. That's right near the town of Bel Air where there is plenty around but you are not far from the base or other amenities. I can give you more specifics if you are interested. Good Luck!

Last edited by MD2AZ; 12-03-2006 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: edit an error

Old 12-06-2006, 06:07 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
Thanks so much! That really helps We are actually going up there this weekend to look at some houses. Probably some in the areas you describe as we tend to like older (70 & 80s) homes and are not a fan of new developments.

Oh, and schools are not a big concern of ours, except that the help houses hold value.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:27 PM

85 posts, read 224,524 times
I am also interested in Harford County. We are looking to relocate to the area in about 18 months. I am concerned about schools for my two youngest who will both be attending high school.

They are both A-students well rounded and active in extra curricula. Which area has the best schools? By looking at the stats thus far Aberdeen doesn't seem too bad. All advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:36 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Default Tips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic View Post
I am also interested in Harford County....I am concerned about schools for my two youngest who will both be attending high school....
Welcome to city-data. There's a great deal of info already in the forum, not sure you've dug through it all yet....to find it easily, use the Search this Forum tool with key words like Harford or Schools or Pizza or weather or whatever you're topic is and you'll almost certainly find quite a bit. In the search tool, you can check off whether you want to see the thread that contains the word or the individual postings.

s/Mike

Old 12-09-2006, 10:05 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2AZ View Post
I'm new to the boards here and actually researching a relo to the Phoenix Area. I live in Bel Air now and thought I'd give you some ideas. Harford County will be experiencing an increase in population over the years due to new jobs at APG, as evident in your post!

The thin strip from the Harford/Baltimore County line between I-95 and Route 40 is viewed some folks in the area as not the most desirable part of the county. This portion has crime rates and incidents that are higher than other areas. Most say because of Route 40 and Route 7 where there are older somewhat depressed areas nearby. It's not all bad though. There are plenty of new developments going up in this area and this trend will continue with the growth of jobs in the area. If you are set on being "that" close to the base and water, You can see plenty of townhomes and new SF homes going up. Check near 24 and route 40 for example. Abingdon, on the north side of I-95 on route 24 is not that bad either. It's just a bit more crowded there.

You didn't mention children but the schools in the Abingdon/Edgewood are said to not be as strong as other areas. Keep in mind that if you looked at the 21014 or 21015 zipcode areas, you are still only about 15, 20 minutes tops to APG. That's right near the town of Bel Air where there is plenty around but you are not far from the base or other amenities. I can give you more specifics if you are interested. Good Luck!
Question about Bel Air...I have been researching alot of states to relocate to for a better quality of life.....Can you please tell me what are the average property taxes in this Area...I can see homes in Bel Air range in Mid 500's and low 600's so curious as to property taxes....School Reports were excellent for Belair....
Thanks

Old 12-10-2006, 06:15 AM

85 posts, read 224,524 times
Mike thanks for the welcome. I am so determined to move to Maryland. We currently are in GA. I being a northerner originally do not like it here much.

Yes we have a beautiful home. However I want to be closer to my Grandmother who is 80 in Westchester County NY(Wish I could afford there

I believe that Cecil or even Harford county will be conducive. My husband will probably work in Phila he is in transportation. I am in the medical field so jobs should not be hard to find. I am so hyped. I want to be there by summers end.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:59 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Default Me too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic View Post
Mike thanks for the welcome. I am so determined to move to Maryland.....husband will probably work in Phila he is in transportation....
I worked for 35 years in transportation and traffic management, first 4 years with Domino Sugar in Baltimore, than 31 years with Army in DC area. My agency loaded ships at 33 seaports around the world and managed virtually of the freight, household goods and passenger transportation for all of DoD. We (Army transporters) loaded 560+ ships that went to Desert Storm, etc.

Transportation is one wild and crazy biz. IMO, Jimmy Carter ruined the world's best airline industry when he deregulated transportation, but I'll not dwell on old heartaches here.....My passion is railroads and RR history.

s/Mike

Old 12-10-2006, 02:29 PM

9 posts, read 72,183 times
For those of you looking to move to Maryland here is some information that may help.

If you are looking for an area close to Aberdeen and close to the water I would suggest Havre de Grace in Harford County or Churchville. As for the school systems I am not sure about these areas, but have not heard anything negative.

I personally love the school system in Rising Sun which is also very convenient to Aberdeen and also very close to the Susquehanna river. Cecil County has plenty of boat launches for the boating family along with dockside restaurants and parks. Also Cecil County is great if you have family commuting to/from Philly, NJ, NY or the beaches. I love being able to drive to the beach for the day when the kids are out of school. I have lived in Cecil for 9 years and have seen it really grow, but it is not overdeveloped yet. I really like Harford County but it is just too congested for my liking.

My family has lived in Baltimore, Harford & Cecil Counties and I am also a Realtor. So far I'm a big fan of Cecil. You get so much more for you money and I love the area. I hope this helps. Good luck with your search!

Old 09-11-2007, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 11,245 times
Smile Harford County FYI

I'm glad to hear you're coming to Harford County! I've lived in this area my entire life and would be glad to give you the "insiders scoop" on where to go and where to avoid. Avoid Rt 40 the closer it takes you to Baltimore County. Its okay closer to 543 (Riverside), however, the strip between Rt 7 and Rt 40 is notoriously violent. I don't have children either, but, like you, I want to walk my dog with peace of mind. If you follow Rt 24 south, it crosses over I 95, and gets really questionable the closer you get to the railroad tracks. Harford County has a problem with gang activity. I work within the local hospital system and can tell you without a doubt, that many of the assaults I see in our ER come from Edgewood/Aberdeen.
If you like the water, cosider Havre de Grace. HdG has its "low rent" districts and with that comes higher rates of crime, but it's nothing like Edgewood/Aberdeen. Havre de Grace is right on the water and VERY convenient to I95. There are several new homes going in around the Ironbirds Stadium - which is very much a nice place to be. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland