Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 06:45 AM

3 posts, read 2,852 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We have been renting in Columbia for about a year now. My SO works in DC and will be there for another year or two and I work in Baltimore and intend on staying at my current job long-term. We are looking for a place to buy a home (like a town home) in the 250-300K budget. Must haves include 3BR and some kind of yard (even if it's just something small to let the dog out to use the bathroom). My SO already has a tough commute from Columbia to DC, so while we are willing to look in different areas, we don't want to add anything to his commute at all.

Anyone have any thoughts on good neighborhoods to live in? Most of the stuff we're finding in Columbia that meets are needs are in the Owen Brown/Wild Lake areas, where I haven't heard/read great stuff about. Any thoughts about other areas that might be a good fit given the above? Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 06:54 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Greenbelt MD has a number of new townhome communities going up adjacent to the Greenbelt Metro Station, which is also a MARC station. Your husband could commute to DC directly via Metro, and you could commute to Baltimore via the MARC Camden line. You'll need to determine if the Camden line gets you to where you need to go in Baltimore, though. If not, then Greenbelt might not be ideal for you driving. Check it out though.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:56 AM

3 posts, read 2,852 times
Thanks Aeroguy. Unfortunately, where I am in Baltimore (and my long hours) doesn't really lend itself to commuting via public transportation. Same is true with respect to my SO, who works in N.E. DC so the Marc doesn't get him very close to where he needs to be.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:34 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Since you are both commited to driving anyway, you might look in Crofton or Bowie.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:45 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Since you are both commited to driving anyway, you might look in Crofton or Bowie.
I second that. From Crofton, you can jump on rt 3 S to 50 to DC and, Rt3 N to 97 to Baltimore. I've lived in both Crofton and Bowie and happen to prefer Crofton as it is a fairly easy shot to DC/Baltimore/Annapolis.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:47 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Move to VA. MD is already one of the most over-crowded states in the US. The taxes here are also really high and the pollution is one of the worst in the country. You can get to both MD and DC from VA or even West VA via public transportation. VA also has more jobs.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:55 AM

233 posts, read 318,239 times
I would suggest staying put in Columbia. Despite the commuter traffic to DC, it's really a great central location to both DC and Baltimore. My first suggestion is maybe trying to see if your SO can adjust there work hours to leave earlier in the am, and avoid the major rush hour time. Another suggestion would be to look at different location in Columbia that are closer to the major highways. The areas I would look, are Kings Contrivance 21046- this are will put you further north and close to major highways for commuting to DC. I'd also look in the 21045 zip code (Long Reach, preferably Phelps Luck) which is more south and sits a mile or less from rt100 for a quick commute to Baltimore.

I also did a quick housing search based on your requirements and came up with 53 active listings. You have more choices than you may think. Here's a link : Listing Search Form - Search for Real Estate Properties | MRIShomes.com

Old 08-04-2015, 08:03 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Have you considered Hanover, Laurel or Odenton? Years ago I worked north of Baltimore and my husband worked in DC and living in the Hanover area worked out well for us. I also like Crofton for your situation.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:59 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Move to VA. MD is already one of the most over-crowded states in the US. The taxes here are also really high and the pollution is one of the worst in the country. You can get to both MD and DC from VA or even West VA via public transportation. VA also has more jobs.
And how would VA work for her job in Baltimore??

Old 08-04-2015, 12:26 PM

789 posts, read 1,096,408 times
Crofton. That's where I'd buy a townhouse in that situation.

Don't listen to kinkytoes, MD has pretty great air quality actually and they clearly don't understand geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland