Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 12:30 PM

147 posts, read 155,986 times

Advertisements

So I managed to find that new apartment and it was okay, minus the first month where they took advantage of me.
Anyway, we had maintenance look to see if we had mold in August in the second bedroom. My brother was here and I was in Nevada at the time. He was upset because he did not seem like they took it seriously. They simply painted over it.. When I noticed more black stuff appearing in the same room on a different wall, I contacted one of the managers about the issue. I also asked for the results from the first visit. She emailed me that she would talk to the leader of the maintenance staff. Apparently they sent someone a few says after during the day while we were not there and left a note indicating they left something, which they did not. I contacted the same manager and she did not respond by forwarded my message to someone else who said there was no mold. That was it.

After that more black stuff has appeared i in my closet. My pets seems to have gotten upper respiratory issues since moving here. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just worried and annoyed.

If its not mold, what else could it be?
We live on the bottom level of the apartment, partially underground .

Also, lately there has been a loud footed person upstairs. Its really loud, I'm not exaggerating. A few weeks ago I noticed a crack forming on my ceiling..

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 01:56 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,687,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameme View Post
If its not mold, what else could it be?
It's probably mold. Whether it's pretty harmless or very harmful is a harder question to answer. I'd continue to raise hell with the manager and also document everything - take pictures of the problem areas, keep records of complaints, etc. If you end up wanting to get out of your lease that'll be good to have.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
It's probably mold. Whether it's pretty harmless or very harmful is a harder question to answer. I'd continue to raise hell with the manager and also document everything - take pictures of the problem areas, keep records of complaints, etc. If you end up wanting to get out of your lease that'll be good to have.
Thank you bufflove.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:36 PM

I bought a dehumidifier yesterday. Its was near 70% when I first used it. After work today, it read 75%. 4 hours later it is at 55%. Is 75% too high?
I also had someone look at the black stuff on the wall and they claimed it was mold.
Was I lied to?

Old 11-06-2015, 03:48 PM

I want to get out of this apartment anyway since we have had many issues and I'm done with the area..

I heard bleach helps get rid of it. Has anyone had to remove it themselves before?

Old 11-06-2015, 06:44 PM

153 posts, read 319,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameme234 View Post
I want to get out of this apartment anyway since we have had many issues and I'm done with the area..

I heard bleach helps get rid of it. Has anyone had to remove it themselves before?
You can remove mold with bleach if it's a small amount. I've had some mold/mildew in the shower and removed it with some liquid bleach on a paper towel, of course you should wear some kind of glove protection. Home depot sells mold test kits.

PRO-LAB Mold Test Kit-MO109 - The Home Depot

If you do decide to do the mold test, you may want to take a video on your cell phone so you have visual evidence.

Mold is very serious and you have every right to be concerned.

Coincidentially, like you, I lived at one time in a split level apartment that was partly below ground level. I had some clothes in a closet, and one time I noticed a fuzz on my jacket. I think it was mildew/mold. Being partly below ground I think means more humidity.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaponies View Post
You can remove mold with bleach if it's a small amount. I've had some mold/mildew in the shower and removed it with some liquid bleach on a paper towel, of course you should wear some kind of glove protection. Home depot sells mold test kits.

PRO-LAB Mold Test Kit-MO109 - The Home Depot

If you do decide to do the mold test, you may want to take a video on your cell phone so you have visual evidence.

Mold is very serious and you have every right to be concerned.

Coincidentially, like you, I lived at one time in a split level apartment that was partly below ground level. I had some clothes in a closet, and one time I noticed a fuzz on my jacket. I think it was mildew/mold. Being partly below ground I think means more humidity.
Thank you!

Old 11-09-2015, 05:16 AM

222 posts, read 270,960 times
If you have a below ground level apartment, I would definitely recommend a dehumidifier. As by nature, anything below ground level is more susceptible to being more humid than a ground level or above ground. Your landlord should remediate the mold problem as that is a health safety concern and should at the very least provide a dehumidifier for you.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:48 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameme234 View Post
I bought a dehumidifier yesterday. Its was near 70% when I first used it. After work today, it read 75%. 4 hours later it is at 55%. Is 75% too high?
I also had someone look at the black stuff on the wall and they claimed it was mold.
Was I lied to?
75% humidity is too high, so keep running the dehumidifier. Clean the area with peroxide before you try anything else. You have to keep it damp for at least 10 minutes.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:31 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,663 times
Mold is toxic! You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get this taken care of in a timely matter. I'd ask to be released from my lease or call the health department.

The apartment managers are probably afraid of costly mold remediation, but that's not your problem. Personally, I'd get out as soon as possible. It doesn't sound to me like a dehumidifier and bleach inside your apartment is going to solve the mold problem as it's source is behind your ceiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland