Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 02:32 PM

21 posts, read 22,207 times

Advertisements

is the history of enslaved whites taught in maryland schools, since it was very prominent in the chesepeake bay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 04:34 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
You mean indentured servants?

Old 01-10-2016, 05:01 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
I think the white slaves were captured up and down the European Atlantic Coast in the 16 and 1700's by the Barbary Pirates and were taken back to North Africa as slaves. They were numbered in the millions. I'm 61 years old and i don't remember being taught about white slavery in public school. But that doesn't mean we weren't taught that. I didn't always pay the best attention in history class so I could have missed it. I'm just saying I don't remember being taught about white slavery. I only recently learned about the Barbary Pirates and their enslavement of white people. President Thomas Jefferson took us to war over the Barbary Pirates. I don't know how well known that fact is, but I didn't know it until only this past year.

As far as I know, America never had any white slavery in Maryland or any other state. But America did take in indentured servants. I don't profess to know the story on indentured servitude and how it worked. You might wanna look it up in Wikipedia. Almost anything in the world you wanna know you can find in Wikipedia.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:40 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaDesertGuy View Post
is the history of enslaved whites taught in maryland schools, since it was very prominent in the chesepeake bay?
It's politically incorrect to talk about that stuff.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:30 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think the white slaves were captured up and down the European Atlantic Coast in the 16 and 1700's by the Barbary Pirates and were taken back to North Africa as slaves.
Do you have any source other than Wikipedia? Although Wikipedia is great for quick checks it is not considered authoritative

Old 01-10-2016, 06:43 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
The term "white slavery" also used to have a different meaning, it meant prostitution.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:48 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
The term "white slavery" also used to have a different meaning, it meant prostitution.

Many of the women sent to the American colonies as indentured servants by the British Courts due to being prostitutes.

To answer an earlier question:

An indentured servant owed the owner of the indenture a term of service, typically 7 years, in exchange for the payment of the passage.

Many were sent here by the Courts, typically habitual criminals, and were given the choice of hanging or exile to the Colonies.

At the end of the 7 years they were freemen and could take up a trade, many of which were learned during the indenture.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:12 PM

21 posts, read 22,207 times
[quote=North Beach Person;42584729]

An indentured servant owed the owner of the indenture a term of service, typically 7 years, in exchange for the payment of the passage.

Many were sent here by the Courts, typically habitual criminals, and were given the choice of hanging or exile to the Colonies.

its true that many servants volunteered, but kidnapping regular civilians, including children, was also a regular source. it was such a problem that people in europe feared that their children would be kidnapped and they would never see them again. often children were worked so hard they died

At the end of the 7 years they were freemen and could take up a trade, many of which were learned during the indenture.

sometimes, but sometimes their masters had ties to government, who would arbitrarily assign additional time to their servitude, up to years

also, many of the people who volunteered for indentured servitude were promised land at the end, but many times they didnt get it, and the masters got away with this, which means they did all that work for nothing

also, a child born to an indentured servant (some women were raped by their masters) was forced to serve as well, and wouldnt gain his freedom until he was 21. many children in indentured servitude died before they reached that age

many people, including people who did NOT volunteer for this, were worked even harder than the lifetime slaves, because the masters knew they only had a limited time with them, so they didnt feel the need to bother to take enough care of them as to keep them alive for a long time.

also, the irish servants in the west indies were said to be treated WORSE than the blacks that were simultaneously there

Old 01-10-2016, 07:42 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Do you have any source other than Wikipedia? Although Wikipedia is great for quick checks it is not considered authoritative
There's a book out not too long ago called "Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates" by Brian Kilmeade and Don Yager.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:43 PM

469 posts, read 549,893 times
[quote=ArizonaDesertGuy;42584999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

its true that many servants volunteered, but kidnapping regular civilians, including children, was also a regular source. it was such a problem that people in europe feared that their children would be kidnapped and they would never see them again. often children were worked so hard they died

sometimes, but sometimes their masters had ties to government, who would arbitrarily assign additional time to their servitude, up to years

also, many of the people who volunteered for indentured servitude were promised land at the end, but many times they didnt get it, and the masters got away with this, which means they did all that work for nothing

also, a child born to an indentured servant (some women were raped by their masters) was forced to serve as well, and wouldnt gain his freedom until he was 21. many children in indentured servitude died before they reached that age

many people, including people who did NOT volunteer for this, were worked even harder than the lifetime slaves, because the masters knew they only had a limited time with them, so they didnt feel the need to bother to take enough care of them as to keep them alive for a long time.

also, the irish servants in the west indies were said to be treated WORSE than the blacks that were simultaneously there
were said by whom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland