Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:21 AM

3 posts, read 2,835 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I recently moved to AA County (Tanyard Springs in Glen Burnie). We're currently renting as we did not have much time to search for a home given my husband's work. We're both African American and want to find a diverse community to buy and diverse school (elementary, middle, hs) for our boys. Our son's are currently in daycare in Severna Park. As we search for homes and schools, we've noticed the more we try to search in areas with excellent schools (Severna Park, Davidsonville, and Arnold), the less diversity we've seen. Can anyone recommend communities and schools that are diverse (not just AA Americans and Whites). We don't want our children in schools that are 90% African American nor 90% white. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 07:32 AM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Sorry, I can't help you with Anne Arundel County. If your husband's work location would allow you to feasibly commute from Howard County, you will find a number of schools with a diverse mix of whites, blacks, Asians, and/or Hispanics from which to choose.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:08 AM

222 posts, read 271,142 times
If you are looking for diversity, i would look more towards howard county or montgomery county. The diversity just is not there in Anne Arundel county especially at the higher rated schools.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:31 AM

217 posts, read 308,252 times
Ditto. While I love Anne Arundel county and all that it has to offer, the county isn't as diverse as other areas of Maryland, mainly in Montgomery and Howard county.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:03 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
What's your budget? I see others have suggested Howard County and while I love HOCO, you might also want to look into areas nearby Fort Meade. Specifically, look at neighborhoods that feed into Arundel HS (Piney Orchard section of Odenton, Gambrills and the north part of Crofton). www.greatschools.com has a good breakdown of student data as well as test scores so you can determine whether or not it might meet your needs. Also, where is your husband's job?

Old 05-03-2016, 06:09 AM

3 posts, read 2,835 times
Thank you all for responding. Moving to Howard County seems like the best idea given what we're looking for. We were cautioned about certain communities near Ft. Meade as well as the Meade feeder schools. Our budget is $575,000 and my husband works in Hanover, MD. In visiting the Waugh Chapel community, we enjoyed the amenities; however the traffic on route 3 was rather confusing and hectic- not a deal breaker though.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:15 AM

661 posts, read 1,248,566 times
if you're kids are ready for haters and hillbilly culture and backwardness, welcome to Anne Arundel County.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autismprincipal View Post
Thank you all for responding. Moving to Howard County seems like the best idea given what we're looking for. We were cautioned about certain communities near Ft. Meade as well as the Meade feeder schools. Our budget is $575,000 and my husband works in Hanover, MD. In visiting the Waugh Chapel community, we enjoyed the amenities; however the traffic on route 3 was rather confusing and hectic- not a deal breaker though.

If your husband's job is anywhere near Route 100, then look at the areas of western Elkridge and eastern Ellicott City and northeastern Columbia that are in proximity to this highway, particularly between Exits 1 and 4 (inclusive). Your budget will get you a nice 4-bedroom single family house in this area.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:21 AM

222 posts, read 271,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autismprincipal View Post
I think you will find traffic hectic in general in this region and its something you have to plan around. With a budget of $575k, you can get yourself a nice single family home in Howard County. I would stick to a budget of around $525k and leave yourself $50k for small repairs upgrades to personalize the home to your liking.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1484 View Post
I think you will find traffic hectic in general in this region and its something you have to plan around. With a budget of $575k, you can get yourself a nice single family home in Howard County. I would stick to a budget of around $525k and leave yourself $50k for small repairs upgrades to personalize the home to your liking.
While I certainly agree with Alex about the hectic traffic, some roads are worse than others. Having used both of them during the rush hours on a number of occasions, I would take Route 100 over Route 3 any day of the week.

Also, even if you (OP) take Alex's suggestion to stick to $525,000, you will still be able to get a good four-bedroom house in northeastern Howard County. From what I've seen from being a nosy neighbor and checking the prices of the houses for sale, the sweet spot seems be currently hovering around $525k to $550k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland