Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 06:54 AM

3 posts, read 3,834 times

Advertisements

Background info: I have a family vacation home in Calvert County since the early 1900's and have been to Calvert County every summer. It's like a second home to me. I grew up in Montgomery County and moved to PA for a few years. I just got a teaching job offer in Calvert County and am really excited to move there. I've been trying to get in their school system for several years!!

I haven't signed the official contract yet and need to by the beginning of July. I don't know where exactly I'll be working or what my salary will be, but I have a few years of experience. I am trying to see if relocation can be easily done. Calvert used to have affordable housing... but I see that it's changed. I am looking into renting for a couple years until I get tenure, but finding affordable rent is proving to be a challenge because there are only two apartment complexes in the entire county (I have a 30 lb dog, and a lot of rental houses aren't allowing that).

My husband works as a medical assistant and is finishing his medical certification in Ultrasound (he has 2 medical degrees/training). He will have to quit his current job and look for one. What are the medical jobs like in the area? We're debating about him working in either Waldorf or Anne Arundel if we can't find anything in Calvert.

Suggestions? Recommendations? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 07:59 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrPA View Post
I am looking into renting for a couple years until I get tenure, but finding affordable rent is proving to be a challenge because there are only two apartment complexes in the entire county (I have a 30 lb dog, and a lot of rental houses aren't allowing that). .... We're debating about him working in either Waldorf or Anne Arundel if we can't find anything in Calvert.
You might look for rental houses instead. Try this MilitarybyOwner site, as military folks are more sympathetic to dogs. Specify the Patunxent River Naval Air Station in Lexington Park. You may have to specify a budget to get down to prices comparable to an apartment, but here's an example: http://www.militarybyowner.com/homes...pe2=For%20Rent

One likely prospect is a 2-bedroom house in Lexington Park for $1250/month, and it allows pets.

Regarding medical jobs, the husband might have to go to Annapolis or Waldorf. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2016, 11:01 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Current Openings

As far as housing, it's true that rentals trend towards singe family and townhouses more so than apartments. That's partly market driven and partly policy driven.

Depending on where you look, the rent for decent houses (meaning not McMansions and what you want) and the various apartment complexes tend to be about the same.

The two dedicated apartment complexes in North Beach are Burnt Oaks Apartments (not Burnt Oaks Townhouses, they're a different animal) and Cross Winds. Also included throughout the County, but mostly in the Twin Beach area and Solomon's, are condos. Since condos are not real saleable here the developers/builders of them have tended to turn them into rental units after they don't sell for two or three years.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:30 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
If I'm not mistaken, the only hospital in Calvert County is Calvert Memorial Hospital in Prince Frederick. So I would assume that this would be a good place to consider for medical jobs.

CMH Today

Old 06-02-2016, 08:29 PM

27 posts, read 26,528 times
Leonardtown also has a hospital, and could be a viable place to look if you end up teaching in the southern end of the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland