Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,870 times

Advertisements

There were very few cats in the area but recently one cat brought five kittens. I called animal control but they said that they are not going to help. Though they agree to take the kittens if I capture them. First, I don't know how to do that. Second, I don't really know how the shelter treats the feral cats and what is their future. But on the other side, two of the kittens already died under the cars. Also, the winter is coming, and the young cats might not survive. What I can do with this problem? Any recommendation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 03:09 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Which county?

Old 10-12-2016, 04:16 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,606,367 times
Any animal shelter would likely take them if you were able to catch them. You may also be able to research the specific shelter online and see if they're "no-kill".

Old 10-13-2016, 06:02 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
There are also trap-neuter-release programs. Try Googling "Ally Cat Allies", as I knew that oganization was active in Baltimore.

If you can capture the kittens, they might be trainable. But if they are past 8 weeks old, they will probably grow up feral and not make good pets.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:29 AM

148 posts, read 369,910 times
Alley Cat Allies

They have great resources about Trap-Neuter-Return. If you just catch the cats and take them to the shelter to be euthanized, then other feral cats will soon move in to take their place, and you have the entire cycle starting over again. But if you can trap the cats, spay/neuter/vaccinate them, and put them back where you found them, they can live there for years and because they won't be producing more kittens, the population of feral cats will not grow. But the key is getting them fixed and vaccinated.

Also, depending on what county you're in, there might be local Trap-Neuter-Release organizations. Tip Me Frederick operates in Frederick County and they have spay/neuter clinics, loan out humane traps, etc. I'm sure other counties have similar organizations.

Two of my cats are semi-feral and were born and lived in the neighborhood for about 5 years -- neighbors caught them once and had them neutered when they were young. I built a nice shelter on my front porch for them and provided them with food and water and gradually made friends with them. Two winters ago, I decided to bring them in "just for the night" during a particularly brutal cold spell. They decided they didn't mind being inside after all -- they're still inside and are great cats. Very shy around strangers, but they adjusted well.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:57 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geshem View Post
I called animal control but they said that they are not going to help. Though they agree to take the kittens if I capture them. First, I don't know how to do that. Second, I don't really know how the shelter treats the feral cats and what is their future.
There are veterinarians who might lend you a trap. Most are baited with food, and it should be easy to trap a kitten with wet food that smells good. (Assuming the kitten is old enough to eat solid food.) Kittens can be placed by shelters, but a feral mom is not placeable. She would probably be put down by the shelter, so it is better to leave the mom in the wild.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:40 AM

99 posts, read 188,860 times
Animal control can lend you traps. There are many low cost spay/neuter clinics in Maryland. Let us know your location and maybe we can better help you. I know several resources in Anne Arundel County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: