Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,188 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the DC-area with my wife and 2 young children and we've honed in on Annapolis as a potential place to live. Can anyone help by characterizing some of the neighborhoods we might want to focus on, and those we should probably avoid? We'll probably rent for the first year and look to buy in the $400-600k range afterwards. We're looking for white-collar, educated, family-friendly, safe neighborhoods (e.g. low crime rate, safe for family walks at night), with well-maintained homes.

A little background:

We're coming out of Southern California where 20 miles from city center, you get a semi-urban/semi-suburban feel where there is lots to do - Children's museums, art/history museums, community jazz concerts in the park, hiking, dining, movies, Trader Joe's, etc.

We searched the Broadneck Peninsula initially because of the high occurrence of rank 9 and 10 public schools (from Cape St. Claire to Severna Park and beyond) and the relatively affordable housing, but it felt "too suburban" for us as we drove through. We realized we're looking for more of an urban environment with more going on, hence the interest in Annapolis. And we found a great private Montessori school we'll probably send our kids to, so neighborhoods with good school districts aren't paramount (but are nice to have as a backup).

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 03:22 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,135 times
Have you considered where you have to commute to for work? If into DC, you would have more options from Annapolis as far as mass transit is concerned.

Hopefully you drove through the "suburban" areas during busy times. It might not have seemed as suburban if you had.

Are you looking at walkability?

Old 04-12-2017, 11:04 AM

7 posts, read 6,478 times
As noted above, commute to work is important. Having lived in coastal SoCal (aka traffic-central) myself, DC traffic is nothing, however, as a parent, my time in the car takes away from family time, so something to keep in mind.

You mentioned Montessori. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Montessori, but I'd ask a LOT of questions before going down that road. #1, being, how many people on their staff (teachers, directors, etc.) are certified Montessori, and if certified, with which version of the teachings? One Montessori school I toured only had *one* teacher on the entire staff that was certified, and none of the management was, not even the Director! Being able to use the Montessori name has become a buzzword for some schools to charge high dollars and use a name that is not regulated by any common standards, unlike the Goddard School name and curriculum, for example, that is tightly monitored by corporate with random checks and grades for schools.

Also, keep in mind that most Montessori schools are not K-12, so another school option (or two) would be needed as the child ages, possibly splitting them up from the bonds they just created in Montessori. For some, continuity of friends, teachers, and learning environments between K-12 is paramount to success. For example, Chesapeake Montessori in Annapolis only goes through 14yo, so high school would be a completely different school with all new friends at an age that is already tough for many. Something to keep in mind.

Annapolis Public Schools are rated fairly low compared to nearby Severna Park, for example. And of course, there is a hotbed of high rated schools in Montgomery County, Howard County, etc.

Good luck in your search, and welcome to Maryland!

Old 04-26-2017, 01:31 PM

15 posts, read 46,934 times
If public school ratings are not a consideration for you, there are plenty of communities in the general Annapolis area that would fit but my concern is that if you found Arnold too suburban than you might find most parts of Annapolis the same way. Those communities surrounding the city of Annapolis actually strive to get more suburban because they are so close to the city!

Unfortunately city center homes (within downtown Annapolis) are going to be over the budget of $600k. You might be able to find something in that range in West Annapolis depending on the size home you are looking for. It is an up and coming neighborhood with a lot more to do now than before. Maryland Hall is close by and a couple of new restaurants are opening.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:46 PM

103 posts, read 183,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuyingAnnapolis View Post
If public school ratings are not a consideration for you, there are plenty of communities in the general Annapolis area that would fit but my concern is that if you found Arnold too suburban than you might find most parts of Annapolis the same way. Those communities surrounding the city of Annapolis actually strive to get more suburban because they are so close to the city!

Unfortunately city center homes (within downtown Annapolis) are going to be over the budget of $600k. You might be able to find something in that range in West Annapolis depending on the size home you are looking for. It is an up and coming neighborhood with a lot more to do now than before. Maryland Hall is close by and a couple of new restaurants are opening.

I agree; check out 21401 in Parole/West Annapolis area. Annapolis Towne Center has a Whole Foods; Trader Joe's is a short drive away near the mall (Nordstrom side).

Downtown Annapolis is a short drive away and has lots to do, including First Sunday Arts Festival. West Annapolis even has fairs and street festivals from time to time. I'd recommend visiting either to get a vibe for the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland