Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 04:40 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times

Advertisements

It sounds like your surveyor did a good job. I would ask, if there are any metal surveyor markers underground. They usually, I think sink them in the ground so they can easily be found again with a metal detector. Did they find any previously placed ones or did they place any themselves?

My parents neighborhood had some neighbors a few years ago trying to locate them, survey markers, they had apparently rusted away enough so they couldn't be found. So they had to pay about $500 to get one when they were adding on to home. Someone, I can't remember who suggested to use some sections of copper pipes pounder into ground to mark things since copper doesn't rust as the iron/metal stakes do, but can also be found with a metal detector. But I don't know about that for sure.

Also, if you need to contact your neighbor do it in writing and keep a copy of it, maybe even take a picture of letter with your phone that show date.

***** CHECK OUT A THREAD STARTED 8-2017******I would give you the link but not sure how to.
do a search for SURVEY MISHAP, the thread headline, it may give you some information on this, kind of at least. That person contacted his realtor/real-estate company and title insurance, but also involved new neighborhood developers.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 01-25-2018 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 04:59 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
It sounds like your surveyor did a good job. I would ask, if there are any metal surveyor markers underground. They usually, I think sink them in the ground so they can easily be found again with a metal detector. Did they find any previously placed ones or did they place any themselves?

My parents neighborhood had some as their neighbors found out a few years ago trying to locate them they had apparently rusted away enough so they couldn't be found. So they had to pay about $500 to get one when they were adding on to home. Someone, I can't remember who suggested to use some sections of copper pipes pounder into ground to mark things since copper doesn't rust as the iron/metal stakes do, but can also be found with a metal detector. But I don't know about that for sure.

Also, if you need to contact your neighbor do it in writing and keep a copy of it, maybe even take a picture of letter with your phone that show date.

***** CHECK OUT A THREAD STARTED 8-2017******I would give you the link but not sure how to.
do a search for SURVEY MISHAP, the thread headline, it may give you some information on this, kind of at least. That person contacted his realtor/real-estate company and title insurance, but also involved new neighborhood developers.
This is that thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...ey-mishap.html

Old 01-25-2018, 05:26 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
What a trouble maker your neighbor is.

Any chance that you moved so recently that you could call the previous homeowner and ask what they might do, as they likely know this neighbor. Or, perhaps the realtor who might know what departments in your county will be able to help you.

Document everything...keep literally a diary...What he does, time, date....who you called, what you said to the neighbor, what he said back. Compile all of this as you go for evidence. When it is a he said/he said you will have the evidence. He has nothing. You will win in any small claims court as long as you copy all letters, texts, take pics etc.

Regarding the spray painted driveway, the vehicle blocking your drive way, and the vehicle in back......Take pics.

I'd be livid.

I'd first write him a letter, demanding that he move his vehicle, and I'd copy the letter and then send it certified. I'd give him a" if not moved by such and such date it will be towed"....Then if he doesn't move it, I'd get it towed. Save the bill for evidence if you do have to pay.

I agree with the previous poster suggesting that you take pics too, including pics of the tags. Move the tarp if you have to to take the pics. And, get it off your fence.

The previous poster mentioned contacting the company that has the logo on the truck blocking your drive way...I think that this is a good idea. Go take pics of the truck obstructing your driveway....and make sure to take a pic of the company logo.

Call, the company and tell the secretary that you are going to have it towed every time it is blocking your driveway. They will get this guy to move it, most companies don't want to deal with this type bs.

If you ever had to call for fire dept. this truck could be blocking their entrance...It is a safety hazard. Your police company not doing anything about it is ludicrous.

I'd definitely take these folks to small claims....and don't forget to ask for punitive damages....for the pain and suffering for the months of headaches they are causing you.

I used to live on a college campus. Kids were forever blocking my driveway....occasionally I'd have to call police so that I could leave my driveway....They always got it towed.
Small claims court info for Joppa, MD The link is very helpful with all the info you need on who, what and where.
https://www.peoples-law.org/small-claims-0

General small claims court info.
https://www.wikihow.com/File-a-Case-...l-Claims-Court

Old 01-25-2018, 05:45 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Right, a local govt department would have jurisdiction over a car illegally parked in a public right of way, for example, but you have jurisdiction over your own property. Simply follow the rules re: towing a vehicle on your property (as I mentioned above it usually involves alerting local law enforcement, but I've never stepped foot in Harford, so double check with local LEO) and then have the vehicle towed by a private company. It won't cost you a dime as the tow co. is ultimately paid by the car owner when they reclaim the vehicle.

Just be prepared to defend the issue in court if the vehicle owner sues, e.g. take pics showing that the car is clearly on your property and hold onto any written correspondence you've sent to the owner telling him to move the vehicle off your property.
Go back to something I said earlier. If the car is on the OP's property it's his Code Enforcement issue although the last owner is presumed to be the one who abandoned it.

https://law.justia.com/codes/marylan...itle-2/25-202/

https://legalbeagle.com/8729619-mary...-property.html

This one is Harford County specific, see Section E Private Property.

https://ecode360.com/9375402

Old 01-25-2018, 06:06 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Don't be a doormat, so far that's exactly what you are. You say you can't afford a lawyer, I say you can't afford not to have one.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:12 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
You have to wonder if previous owners had run ins with this neighbor. Would there be police records, restraining orders, small claim or more records. Is this something that need to be disclosed to potential buyers, like OP. If there were issues with this neighbor the police surely know about it.

Pulling up survey stakes is a form of vandalism of private property.

Document everything no matter how small.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:53 AM

675 posts, read 723,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
right, a local govt department would have jurisdiction over a car illegally parked in a public right of way, for example, but you have jurisdiction over your own property. Simply follow the rules re: Towing a vehicle on your property (as i mentioned above it usually involves alerting local law enforcement, but i've never stepped foot in harford, so double check with local leo) and then have the vehicle towed by a private company. It won't cost you a dime as the tow co. Is ultimately paid by the car owner when they reclaim the vehicle.

Just be prepared to defend the issue in court if the vehicle owner sues, e.g. Take pics showing that the car is clearly on your property and hold onto any written correspondence you've sent to the owner telling him to move the vehicle off your property.
good solution !

Old 01-30-2018, 11:38 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,103 times
move the stupid car yourself! Hire a attorney for abandoned vehicle? No i would just call a tow company or ram into it sending it flying.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:19 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
I would rent one of those weed control torches that they use to burn off weeds. Start controlling the weeds along your property line. Learn how to say, "Oops!"

Old 03-09-2018, 07:58 AM

29 posts, read 16,368 times
Default Surveys & 'Squatters'

Every state, I believe, has a regulatory board for every career involving any kind of state license. Ex: Real Estate, SURVEYORS, nurses, animal groomers, etc. It should be online, perhaps under 'commerce & insurance'. In my state (TN) if a surveyor surveys adjoining property of another land-owner...and..if there are discrepancies, the surveyor cannot legally complete the survey unless he compares BOTH owner's 'line' and the issue is settled. The regulatory board in my state was VERY helpful (they have a $1,000 fine and a printable form to complain + other fines for other irregular actions by a surveyor. You may not need to get into that unless your neighbor has filed an altered deed. You can go to your county court-house....register of deeds...and in most states the tax assessment and a property map (not legally binding (the map) but you can see if someone has slipped in a deed change and is plotting to gain part of 'yours' by Adverse Possession. If they do slip in a deed it is called "under color of title" and the required years before they own it goes down to 7, not the 20-yr. plan in many states.
You can re-register your deed every 5 or 6 yrs. and it eliminates a sneaky neighbor pulling this tactic. This may be different in your state, but maybe not.
IF your neighbor has 'stuff' on your property he may try to claim the adverse possession unless he is made to move it. If the vehicle is totally on your property, & you have a survey and neighbor doesn't want to show his survey, there are procedures to claim it as 'abandoned property'. You could call your county courthouse for this info, or it may be online for your state.
I have had a nightmare neighbor and I understand the feelings of unfairness, etc. that you are going through with local enforcement agencies. They have to go by what's put in front of them like survey maps, etc. Try to avoid any heated confrontations with the neighbor.
A lawyer can draw up a 'cease and desist' letter for a few bucks, or you can send one (registered mail, so it's dated and verified that he received it. The attorney's notice may get his attention more, but it should still have 'clout' if you do it yourself. You can, based on advice from local government, give him a certain # or days to move anything. Surveillance or hunting cameras are very easy to use and cheap now. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland