Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 12:57 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Back then? It was adopted by your MeeMaw and PaPaw in 1939.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland,_My_Maryland

It's a long ass song, nine verses.
Yeah, I saw it was in the 30s - which is why it doesn't make sense to me. 1861 and a secessionist? Sure, be pissy at Lincoln and the North and write a song about it. But 1939? In a Union state? How the heck did anyone think it was a good idea to make that the state song "back then?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
This one. Everyone in the past was a racist who hated the "real" America, not just Marylanders. Haven't you been keeping up?
Dang, everyone? I didn't know that. I'll have to update my woke journal.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:19 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Yeah, I saw it was in the 30s - which is why it doesn't make sense to me. 1861 and a secessionist? Sure, be pissy at Lincoln and the North and write a song about it. But 1939? In a Union state? How the heck did anyone think it was a good idea to make that the state song "back then?"
Because Maryland wasn't really a "Union" state. Not deep down or really even close to the surface. Had Lincoln not had pro-Confederacy legislators arrested before they could take a secession vote Maryland might very well have joined "The Cause" or, at best, used State Militia to block the transit of Federal Army troops through the state. Both reasons why Maryland was under a de facto occupation.

And don't kid yourself, under the relatively recent veneer of sophistication many in the state have adopted the old feelings are still there.

Scroll down to see Maryland's monuments:

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/List..._and_memorials

I have a real issue with including Lee's statue at Antietam or the Confederate cemeteries at Point Lookout and Frederick as objectionable.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:28 PM

350 posts, read 224,564 times
The Comptroller should reject tax revenue from the percentage of state taxpayers that the media considers racist since that money is tainted in the eyes of the majority. Cleanse the state. Serenity now.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Because Maryland wasn't really a "Union" state. Not deep down or really even close to the surface. Had Lincoln not had pro-Confederacy legislators arrested before they could take a secession vote Maryland might very well have joined "The Cause" or, at best, used State Militia to block the transit of Federal Army troops through the state. Both reasons why Maryland was under a de facto occupation.

And don't kid yourself, under the relatively recent veneer of sophistication many in the state have adopted the old feelings are still there.
Certainly true, but even 75 years after the war that's how the GA felt? That MD was on the wrong side of history, or something? I don't get the mindset. Unless it's seriously as simple as a majority of legislators in 1939 thought "the South should have won and we should have been part of the South. Eff Lincoln." I guess that's the explanation. Dunno why I'm trying to figure a way around that.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:01 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I can't open the link and don't really care to know the lyrics of this song I care little about. What is the issue in the lyrics?

Old 06-24-2020, 02:07 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I can't open the link and don't really care to know the lyrics of this song I care little about. What is the issue in the lyrics?
Oh Christ, you Northern scum have to read them while using your despot's heel.

See if this works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kViPyqBms00

It's the short version.

The written lyric sheet, all of the verses:
https://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanua.../lyricsco.html

Old 06-24-2020, 03:10 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:

Scroll down to see Maryland's monuments:

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/List..._and_memorials

I have a real issue with including Lee's statue at Antietam or the Confederate cemeteries at Point Lookout and Frederick as objectionable.

Shoot everyone who knows the Battle of Antietam has an issue with Lee's Statue including the Park Service

1) He could not ride a horse at the time because of injuries to his hands
2) Where the statue is was Federal Territory for much of the battle

The Statue was placed on private land by a 'Lost Causer' who later sold the land with some kind of stipulation about the monument. The Park Service needed the land to stop other growth along the highway (I have also heard a rumor thatthe wording of the appropriation bill from Congress made stipulations about the monument)

Point Lookout was a POW camp and the graves were prisoners who died while imprisoned there. There are more objectionable German graves (complete with swastikas and phrases like 'He died for his Fatherland' at a couple base/veteran cemeteries where there were WWII POW camps. The ones in Frederick and Hagerstown were buried there because Confederate dead were not allowed in Veteran Cemeteries (But Germans who fought us are?)

Old 06-24-2020, 03:42 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Dang, everyone? I didn't know that. I'll have to update my woke journal.
I'm disappointed in you for not knowing this. Yes, even immigrants who fought for the Union to end slavery are racists whose images must be destroyed.

Protesters set their sights on another statue, one of Col. Hans Christian Heg at the top of King Street, tore it down and dragged it into Lake Monona. Heg was a Norwegian immigrant and journalist who died of his wounds at the Battle of Chickamauga fighting to preserve the United States and end slavery.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/c...b98bf5356.html

Old 06-24-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I'm disappointed in you for not knowing this. Yes, even immigrants who fought for the Union to end slavery are racists whose images must be destroyed.

Protesters set their sights on another statue, one of Col. Hans Christian Heg at the top of King Street, tore it down and dragged it into Lake Monona. Heg was a Norwegian immigrant and journalist who died of his wounds at the Battle of Chickamauga fighting to preserve the United States and end slavery.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/c...b98bf5356.html
Who thought it was a good idea to make both the good AND bad statues out of bronze? How confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland