Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 06:46 AM

34 posts, read 62,170 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I’ve just accepted a job in Linthicum and will be relocating there in about a month or two. So, the search is on to find a home. My wife has zeroed in on Columbia and Ellicott city mainly for the schools. We’re trying to find something with a little more privacy than your standard quarter acre plot. Maybe something on an acre or more. I found something really nice in Mt. Airy but my wife is concerned that Mt. Airy is too rural and far away from civilization. Looking around on google earth, I don’t see it that way. So, I figured I’d ask the locals. How is Mt. Airy? Is it populated by mainly conservative farmer types or is the population diverse enough to include all types?

Also, is the climate much different between Mt. Airy and Ellicott City/Columbia? The reason I ask is because reading the profile of each town on Wikipedia, they state an average annual snowfall of 21 inches for Mt. Airy but nothing for Ellicott City. We’re originally from NY but currently leaving FL for MD because we can’t stand the FL climate. It would be nice to have the full 4 seasons and a bit of snow. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 07:50 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,857 times
You can read about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Airy,_Maryland

Big enough for a Walmart and two golf courses. Looks like a bedroom community for Frederick.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:58 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
I'll let our resident post from Mt. Airy, Dave, answer this in detail.

I will say I like Mt. Airy. It is a pleasant mix of rural farm areas and amenities spread across three counties. Lots of different community "feels" in a small area, IMO.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:01 AM

63 posts, read 68,332 times
Mt. Airy is an exurban area - relatively far away from the immediate activity of DC/Baltimore while still being close enough to access them on a frequent basis (though that will depend on your tolerance for commute time). I would say that it leans conservative but not extremely so. It may be difficult to find acre lots in Ellicott City or Columbia proper since those areas are mainly composed of denser suburban developments.

No, there is basically no difference in weather.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:50 AM

122 posts, read 169,561 times
I have lived in Mt Airy for 34 years. We are on the Howard County side. I love it here. I agree it is a mix of conservative and liberal. There was a joke years ago that Glenelg high student parking lot had 2 types of vehicles - pickups with gun racks and BMWs.

I think we do get a bit more snow than Ellicott City but usually only a couple of inches per snow storm. The spring flowers do seem to be about a week behind Ellicott City for bloom time.

I think it is very convenient- using I70 I can get to Frederick in 20 minutes, Columbia 25-30 minutes.
Downtown Baltimore- 45 minutes- not in rush hour. I do live very close to the highway though.

I find it a very friendly community, neighbors help each other when there is a need, but not intrusive .

There are a lot of stay at home moms in the area- I see them with their toddlers in the grocery store all the time. We will be downsizing in a couple of years and plan on buying a home in the senior development on the Carrol county side right in town.

Mt Airy is not for everyone - can’t walk to the store. Only Walmart and TJ Max for clothing, only 3 grocery stores. A few restaurants. But everything I have ever needed is less than 45 minutes away.

Congrats on your new job! Hope you find the perfect home for your family.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:51 PM

63 posts, read 68,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoCoMom View Post
There was a joke years ago that Glenelg high student parking lot had 2 types of vehicles - pickups with gun racks and BMWs.
Haha, sounds a lot like schools in Frederick County.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:13 PM

257 posts, read 130,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Looks like a bedroom community for Frederick.
It's a bedroom community for Baltimore, D.C., Columbia, and Northern Anne Arundel.....you know, where jobs are.

Frederick itself is a bedroom community for D.C.. If you actually do work in Frederick you probably also live there since it wouldn't make sense for most people to commute from, say, D.C....because that would be backwards.

Me? I'd rather pay more for the house and have zero commute (currently at 7-8 minutes) than live in the kinda-boondocks where you have to take 3 different interstate highways to get to work.

It's not like Mt. Airy is any cheaper than the rest of central Maryland anyway....just only slightly farther away from the bustle, so you even get to miss out on the so-called "lower cost of living" aspect that comes with "rural" living and long, long....did I mention long, commutes?.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:26 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
Hi all. I’ve just accepted a job in Linthicum and will be relocating there in about a month or two. So, the search is on to find a home. My wife has zeroed in on Columbia and Ellicott city mainly for the schools. We’re trying to find something with a little more privacy than your standard quarter acre plot. Maybe something on an acre or more. I found something really nice in Mt. Airy but my wife is concerned that Mt. Airy is too rural and far away from civilization. Looking around on google earth, I don’t see it that way. So, I figured I’d ask the locals. How is Mt. Airy? Is it populated by mainly conservative farmer types or is the population diverse enough to include all types?

Also, is the climate much different between Mt. Airy and Ellicott City/Columbia? The reason I ask is because reading the profile of each town on Wikipedia, they state an average annual snowfall of 21 inches for Mt. Airy but nothing for Ellicott City. We’re originally from NY but currently leaving FL for MD because we can’t stand the FL climate. It would be nice to have the full 4 seasons and a bit of snow. Thanks everyone!
If climate is critical to you, I would consider living closer to the Chesapeake Bay in Anne Arundel County. I have lived in NJ, MA, and FL before settling here in MD about 35 years ago. If the commute is not a deal breaker, the Eastern Shore would be an even better climate. The further east or west from I95 you go, the weather patterns change. West will have more snow and to the east you get less. I have lived on both sides of the Bay. On the east, I lived on Kent Island (Stevensville) which is where US Rt 50 crosses the bay. Being there, the temperatures are effected by the water to some extent, causing it to be a little less extreme. The downside is having to cross the bridge during rush hour, which at times can take much longer. At the time we moved over there, houses were roughly $50K less than they were on the western side. We since moved back because of elder relatives on the western side, and being tired of having to drive greater distances to shop for some items. They don't like big box stores on the eastern side of the bridge.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:24 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,964,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
It's a bedroom community for Baltimore, D.C., Columbia, and Northern Anne Arundel.....you know, where jobs are.

Frederick itself is a bedroom community for D.C.. If you actually do work in Frederick you probably also live there since it wouldn't make sense for most people to commute from, say, D.C....because that would be backwards.

Me? I'd rather pay more for the house and have zero commute (currently at 7-8 minutes) than live in the kinda-boondocks where you have to take 3 different interstate highways to get to work.

It's not like Mt. Airy is any cheaper than the rest of central Maryland anyway....just only slightly farther away from the bustle, so you even get to miss out on the so-called "lower cost of living" aspect that comes with "rural" living and long, long....did I mention long, commutes?.
Depends on where the job is.....

Old 07-09-2020, 05:37 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
As a guy who wore a tie to work I was concerned when me moved here about being accepted. Not a problem at all, the contractor with dirt on his jeans from a hard days work held the door for me with a smile as I entered the convenience store. As mentioned it's a mix of locals and professionals, the median household income is 93 grand. Very family oriented, it's also incredibly safe. We have not locked our doors in the 18 years we've been here. I'm not kidding. I'm told the schools are good here and if you want a larger lot this will be a better option than Ellicott City or Columbia for sure, most homes have large lots here.

With that said it is limiting and if the wife is concerned I suggest you take a trip here if possible. There are several good restaurants but not a lot of variety, we solve that with a 20 minute drive to Frederick which is a GREAT mid sized town with most everything you need. But you do need to go to Frederick to see a movie or for any shopping above groceries or Walmart. For me as long as you have the things you shop for regularly (groceries, liquor, dry cleaning etc) it's fine. Who goes to malls anyway? But it's not for everyone and you have to keep the wife happy.

Although it's a long drive to Linthicum the traffic is not that bad and it's very doable, of course not everyone requires a 5-7 minute commute. As for the weather it is a degree or 2 cooler, which I actually prefer as it turns the sleet and freezing rain of the burbs into 4 inches of snow which is safer and certainly more tolerable than sleet. It does feel cooler in the summer, Mt Airy got it's name because of the wind and the summer breeze along with shade trees around our house keeps our electric bill in the dead of summer under $200/month.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 07-09-2020 at 06:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland