Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2020, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 1,225 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will relocate to MD and will work at the NIH main campus in Bethesda. Does anyone commute from Darnestown? How long does it take on average? I visited the area this long weekend and the traffic was very light but - I have been told - not even remotely comparable to "normal" times. What is the most efficient route? Is MD-190 a reasonable/quicker alternative to I-270?

Thanks!

MaBo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 03:24 AM

34,200 posts, read 83,388,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaBo View Post
I will relocate to MD and will work at the NIH main campus in Bethesda.
Ever hear of google maps? LINK

Old 09-08-2020, 06:30 AM

16,375 posts, read 10,543,309 times
It's really hard to say as COVID has reduced traffic dramatically, it will be interesting to see what the future traffic will be like once this is over as many companies and organizations are talking about making work at home permanent.

I don't know that entire commute but I do know the route would probably be 28 to 270 and that interchange is backed up pretty well in a normal rush hour, then 270 crawls until you get to Bethesda. If I were to guess maybe 40 minutes. But Darnestown is a great area and Bethesda is really expensive so I think it will work if 40 minutes is not too much for you.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:12 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,945,531 times
Assuming somewhat normal traffic (likely the end of this year/early next year assuming a vaccine), Darnestown is a perfectly suitable and probably average commute. It is likely about 30 mins to NIH, give or take. During rush hour when things get back to normal, it could be longer. The tricky thing about being on NIH campus is that there is a backlog of cars trying to get out during rush hour, so you can spend 15-20 mins in the general vicinity trying to exit the NIH campus. This won't be an issue now, but when things get back to normal it likely will be.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:18 AM

6,602 posts, read 11,355,912 times
You'll have a few options and it will be up to you to determine what works best based on your exact location.
The obvious is 28->270->495->Wisconson. But that is also probably the most congested at the worst times.

You can also cut through West Bethesda, Potomac, etc.

I lived in Potomac (about 15 years ago) by Travilla/Glen Rd and would cut through Potomac via Tuckerman, Bells Mill, Seven Locks, Democracy, Fernwood, River, etc.

I had a main route and a few alternates depending on the weather or time I left. And that matters - the big factor with avoiding the interstate is the school buses. Not an issue now due to Covid... but it will down the road. You'll get to know the where the big school bus stops are as well as the schools and their schedule. Or... just leave by 5:45-6am and avoid all that.

As for River Road - all the major intersections will be crowded at the right times (Falls, Seven Locks, etc.). Especially if you are coming onto River from another road (e.g Piney Meetinghouse can be backed up almost to Glen). You also have a few schools that generate traffic at the right time (Holton-Arms, Whitman, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland