Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 01:50 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times

Advertisements

Should the State(County), pay for Resource Officers in Private schools, their Parents pay taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 02:44 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
As a private school parent, I say no. If the state starts putting armed guards on their payroll in my school, you can bet a whole lot of other mandated changes would come with it.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:48 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Should the State (County), pay for Resource Officers in Private schools ?
Unequivocally NO. The state shouldn't pay ANYTHING (even prop tax allowances)
to private educators for any purpose.

But whoever is paying STOP calling them "resource officers" ...
(which sounds like some sort of guidance counselor function)

Own up to the problems: They're COP's.
Then fix the problems that calls for them to even exist.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Unequivocally NO. The state shouldn't pay ANYTHING (even prop tax allowances)
to private educators for any purpose.

But whoever is paying STOP calling them "resource officers" ...
(which sounds like some sort of guidance counselor function)

Own up to the problems: They're COP's.
Then fix the problems that calls for them to even exist.
So every child that goes to a private school is a soft target ignoring that their parents all so pay the same property taxes that pay for the public school ?

Old 04-05-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
As a private school parent, I say no. If the state starts putting armed guards on their payroll in my school, you can bet a whole lot of other mandated changes would come with it.
Sorry I see no connection, you say by using the service's that the parents pay for with their taxes that will automatically allow the state to control private schools, don't see it. If there is a fire are they allowed to call the fire Department or must they have their own?

Old 04-05-2023, 09:27 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Default The safety issue is red herring

Quote:
...ignoring that their parents also pay the same property taxes that pay for the public school ?
Exactly so. Ignoring as in immaterial.

You want direct benefit of those taxes you pay? Use the public schools.
You want the in-direct benefit of those taxes you pay? Support the public schools. Don't undermine them.

Old 04-05-2023, 10:55 AM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Sorry I see no connection, you say by using the service's that the parents pay for with their taxes that will automatically allow the state to control private schools, don't see it. If there is a fire are they allowed to call the fire Department or must they have their own?
Your scenario does not describe placing an emergency call for police/fire/EMT service. The question you posed was about placing SRO in private schools during the school day.

First, are you a private school grad or parent? Not a attack, but I think the conversation will go better if I know whether you are a concerned parent who wants this service for your child, or if this is a discussion topic you are interested in.

For me as a grad and a parent, I could put my kid in a school with an armed guard, I could make it happen tomorrow by placing them in public school. It is my choice to attend a private school that doesn't have a gentleman with a gun or a metal detector at the door, for better or worse. Also as a private school, we could choose ourselves to hire an armed guard(s) if we wished. We have choices as parents, which is a big appeal of private schooling.

To the bigger point. Who employs these private school SROs? Not each private school right? These officers would be part of the same larger, unionized, on the county payroll, squad who happen to be stationed in a private school. I suspect you know private schools DO NOT have to follow the same schedule as public schools. Our hours are different, our days off are different, our activity schedule is different, our first and last days of schools are different.

How does this lack of uniformity worth within a county-wide SRO program? The officer at the private school doesn't have the same days off as his other union colleagues? He/She gets to work a shorter day, or has to work a longer day because the private school has different hours? What happens when the private school SRO gets a snow day the public school ones don't? What happens when the SRO in the private school realized he/she doesn't get their own bathroom, or have an office made for them, or some other part of the union contract can't be fulfilled by the private school without additional expense to them?

I hope you see where I am going with this. The "answer" to my questions would always be "the private schools would have to conform with the hours, schedule, and requirements of the SRO program as determined by the county in order to receive the service."

You are free to disagree, if you are a private school grad or parent I would be interested to know how you think it could work in your county. If you don't have a connection with a private school, keep in mind why parents who make that choice for their kids do so.............the answer is often "we don't want to do things the way the public schools do."

Old 04-05-2023, 11:13 AM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Yeah but you know how that works. Once a private entity takes government money then government rules have to be followed.

Now, that may not be onerous to start but things do have a tendency to snowball any time any level of government gets involved.

Personally, I think private schools should have an SRO slot aboard the facility. Whether that's a Deputy Sheriff, local PD or private security is the question, maybe.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Your scenario does not describe placing an emergency call for police/fire/EMT service. The question you posed was about placing SRO in private schools during the school day.

First, are you a private school grad or parent? Not a attack, but I think the conversation will go better if I know whether you are a concerned parent who wants this service for your child, or if this is a discussion topic you are interested in.

For me as a grad and a parent, I could put my kid in a school with an armed guard, I could make it happen tomorrow by placing them in public school. It is my choice to attend a private school that doesn't have a gentleman with a gun or a metal detector at the door, for better or worse. Also as a private school, we could choose ourselves to hire an armed guard(s) if we wished. We have choices as parents, which is a big appeal of private schooling.

To the bigger point. Who employs these private school SROs? Not each private school right? These officers would be part of the same larger, unionized, on the county payroll, squad who happen to be stationed in a private school. I suspect you know private schools DO NOT have to follow the same schedule as public schools. Our hours are different, our days off are different, our activity schedule is different, our first and last days of schools are different.

How does this lack of uniformity worth within a county-wide SRO program? The officer at the private school doesn't have the same days off as his other union colleagues? He/She gets to work a shorter day, or has to work a longer day because the private school has different hours? What happens when the private school SRO gets a snow day the public school ones don't? What happens when the SRO in the private school realized he/she doesn't get their own bathroom, or have an office made for them, or some other part of the union contract can't be fulfilled by the private school without additional expense to them?

I hope you see where I am going with this. The "answer" to my questions would always be "the private schools would have to conform with the hours, schedule, and requirements of the SRO program as determined by the county in order to receive the service."

You are free to disagree, if you are a private school grad or parent I would be interested to know how you think it could work in your county. If you don't have a connection with a private school, keep in mind why parents who make that choice for their kids do so.............the answer is often "we don't want to do things the way the public schools do."

No being a smart guy here but I am all of them including a Husband of a Teacher. The parents taxes pay for the services of the Police, if that service entails protecting the schools all schools and the students in those schools they should receive the same. As I said I am all so the husband of a Teacher and the Father of two more one a VP and make no mistake the Public school system could not handle the crush of students if all the kids left private for public, education budgets would balloon.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah but you know how that works. Once a private entity takes government money then government rules have to be followed.

Now, that may not be onerous to start but things do have a tendency to snowball any time any level of government gets involved.

Personally, I think private schools should have an SRO slot aboard the facility. Whether that's a Deputy Sheriff, local PD or private security is the question, maybe.

Oh I fully understand the fear. Thing is local BoE's do have says in things , just one example is bus's. Charles County is an example where they will bus the kids to local private schools and sometimes on the same bus's along with the public school students. (didn't go well) So they run a second rout after the first and pick up for the private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: