Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:43 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,712 times

Advertisements

Yes that is true but it is safer in terms of other places in PG.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:50 AM

62 posts, read 254,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Their is no such thing as safe area. CRIME IS EVERYWHERE as long as people still exist.
There's such a thing as degree of crime; crime rates, severity of the crimes committed, etc. That means there are places that could be called safe.

There are always certain factors in population, and otherwise, to look for when considering what area will have a much lower degree of crime.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:16 AM

91 posts, read 484,192 times
People rely too heavily on crime statistics.

Your 10,000 times more likely to die in your car, especially when you consider the amount of time you'll spend traveling to the hinterlands as you attempt to extricate yourselves from so-called "bad areas".

Visit a prospective area at different times of the day to get an accurate gauge of the environment. If you don't hear gun shots and more sirens than a mash unit you're probably pretty darn safe, or as safe as you can be in this uncertain world.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:19 PM

421 posts, read 1,566,347 times
Default Cumberland

Cumberland is a very safe small city, one of the 10 safest cities in the U.S. More oriented toward Pittsburgh and Western PA which has low crime than the high crime Balt-Wash area. Like Western PA, though, Cumberland also suffers from a lack of jobs.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:48 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,872 times
Cumberland Maryland needs a lot of help. I drove thru there on my way to Ohio and it is horrible. It has a lot of trailer Parks and shack homes. I have never seen shack homes in Maryland. I was surprise. It looks like a totally different state. I can you call that safe living in a shack home or trailer parks.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:15 AM

421 posts, read 1,566,347 times
Default Poor does not mean unsafe!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Cumberland Maryland needs a lot of help. I drove thru there on my way to Ohio and it is horrible. It has a lot of trailer Parks and shack homes. I have never seen shack homes in Maryland. I was surprise. It looks like a totally different state. I can you call that safe living in a shack home or trailer parks.
I live in NE Ohio, have family in Western PA. You must remember that Western PA and Westernmost MD are part of Appalachia. Though I have not been to Cumberland, I can picture what you are talking about based on Western PA.

WHile I respect your shock at poverty, I hope you realize that poverty does not always equal violence. Rural america, especially rural Western PA, is a different world from urban America. Cleveland and Baltimore are apples, while places like DuBois and Bedford are oranges. Folks may be poor, but they are proud. Life is much better in the country when you are poor. If you consult the UCR stats, you will find that Cumberland is quite safe is today's crazy world, as are Johnstown, Altoona and Wheeling. Spend some time in any of these places, and you will see why. God BLess Western PA!

Old 07-24-2007, 06:47 AM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Poverty does not always equal crime, nor should you judge people and call their town "horrible" based on their income levels or the age of their housing stock.

As for your claim that Cumberland looks like a completely different state, Thanks for noticing, we are very proud to be part of Appalachia and would much rather be understood as a part of that region than the downstate parts of our own state.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:07 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,872 times
Now we are talking about poverty affecting whites all of a sudden it overty does not mean crime. yes it does regardless of your whites. Crimes is in Rural America plenty of it. In small towns people tend not to report crimes because they all know each other and thye donot like the police in the town business. I believe that most of the sickiest crimes happen in rural america because they know they can get away with the crimes.CumberLand pass poverty it reminds me of a third world country. How often in American do you see rows and rows of shack homes and trailer park with nothing but trash. These people property look like a dump yard.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:15 AM

5 posts, read 22,297 times
Default Safe cities in MD

I have lived in Bel Air MD for over 12 yrs now. I have left my purse in my unlocked car more times than I can count. I can let my children play outside and the public schools are wonderful. We leave our windows open on cool nights and have left scooters/bikes out front for days at a time.
Other great places in harford cty are
Forest Hill
Jarretsville
Fallston
The closer you get to Baltimore proper, the closer you get to crime.
places that have a little higher crime rate...(not in all neighborhoods)
Aberdeen
Edgewood
Havre de Grace
Hope this helps!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:47 AM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
White rural poverty does not equate to violence, period. Lets compare Cumberland to a town in your beloved PG county.
Cumberland's poverty rate is about 20%. Blandensburg is only 12%

In 2005 per 100k population
Cumberland's murder rate was 4.7, Blandensburg was 25.1
Cumberland's robbery was 52, Bladensburg was 1404
Cumberland's vehicle theft rate was 133, Bladensburg was 3446

So you give me any song and dance you want about crime being everywhere or whatever. And sure, Cumberland has an unfortunately high rate of violence against women, normal rates of petty theft, some drugs.

But Cumberland is about the poorest whitest place you will find in the state and the crime rates that really matter, being killed, having some guy stick a gun in your gut and taking your watch, waking up and having your car missing are miniscule compared to a place in your own county with half of the poverty but very different demographics and geography.

Also, I can assure you that people in Cumberland do call the cops when crimes have been committed, that is is why the crime rates for petty things like larceny and burglery are rather normal compared to the rest of the state. Do you think every bike stolen from a yard, or unlocked cars with CDs stolen out of them make the police reports in PG County? Well I can assure you they do in Cumberland.

All of your bizarre opinions about unreported sicko crimes in rural areas and this misguided believe that rural people don't call the cops are just wrong. It is amazing how much you think you know because you drove through the town on the way to Ohio once.

I stay out of all of the talk about your home county because I realize that my opinion would be based solely on what I have seen out my car window or read in the paper. I suggest you do the same when the topic of my hometown comes up until you have either some hard facts or valid observations to comment on.

Facts gathered from
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Wikipedia

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 04:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland