Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2007, 08:31 AM

22 posts, read 129,813 times

Advertisements

I am a mother of two, living in Newark NJ and desperately looking to relocate to a better environment for me and my family. I have heard many things about Maryland. Can someone offer me insight on the quality of living in Baltimore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,466 times
Well since Baltimore is the #1 Homoside capital in the world I would stay away. If you are looking for a nice place to move in MD I would look to the burbs of Rockville. It is close to both DC and Baltimore for jobs. Depending on your price range, I have a town hose for sale in one of the safest areas in MD with some of the best schools aswell. Please email me if you have any questions at Ehz1@mac.com

Old 01-28-2007, 12:58 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,226,214 times
Some of the elements you see thats negative is also present in B-more. Although the city is go thru massive transformation, you still have knucklehead elements. It just depends on your tolerance and preferences. Baltimore County isn't bad. Townson, Whitemarsh, Hunt Valley and the outskirts you can't go wrong. Federal Hill, Canton are nice parts in the city. If you venture into PG county around Bowie, Largo, Upper Marlboro I would highly recommend it especially if you have kids....

Old 01-28-2007, 04:22 PM

165 posts, read 926,891 times
Default Relocation Suggestions

Angel,

What are you looking for in the form of that environment? Are you just looking for a safe neighborhood or did you have a preference on school systems...etc...?

I find you pay for the luxuries you ask for. For example you could probably find more economical housing directly in certain parts of Baltimore or PG (Prince George's) county, but you may not have the safety you desire. You may have a safe home with great schools in Calvert County but now you're having a hard time swallowing the sticker on the home. It's less of a problem now that the market has taken a dip and seems to be a buyer's market so you can probably make an offer near a home's asking price and get it a little less than the seller is looking to ask for.

Not knowing if you have a large downpayment or not I can make the following assumptions before recommending a place (so forgive me if they are way off base).

1) Single mother of two, probably money is tight taking care of them so you're not looking for a "mc-mansion" you'd rather have food on the table
2) Looking to relocate so a specific job location may not be determined yet so you will probably want to try and be accessible to many larger cities and rural escapes.
3) Since you're coming from more up north you may still have some family ties or reasons that you may wish to revisit. For that you probably want something more close to the northern borders of Maryland to limit your drive time back to those areas. - This probably kills southern Maryland options since there's not many places to choose from for employment without longer commutes.

With those assumptions in place you may want to look at Howard County. They have good schools, you can find some older homes that you could get for a reasonable deal. Building new homes aren't likely in that area, it's pretty developed. You also have a decent set of townhomes to choose from as well if a single family isn't in the stars for you. You have access to many major and minor routes north and south, for travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelHaze30 View Post
I am a mother of two, living in Newark NJ and desperately looking to relocate to a better environment for me and my family. I have heard many things about Maryland. Can someone offer me insight on the quality of living in Baltimore?

Old 02-01-2007, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,807 times
What About Southern Pa? Franklin County?

Old 02-01-2007, 02:06 PM

743 posts, read 2,245,232 times
You might want to try Carroll or Frederick county in MD or York or Adams County in PA. All have a great quality of life, low crime but not no crime and housing is a lot lower than Baltimore of DC burbs.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:10 AM

82 posts, read 639,671 times
Try Washington County

Old 02-25-2007, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 8,998 times
city is basically city..crime like anywheres else.i'd rather reside in baltimore county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland