Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 15,054 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from NYC to Maryland and today I handed in a security deposit to live at the Berkshires of Columbia. I have read nothing but drastically negative reviews, but I have some notions of skepticism floating in my head.

Safety is a rather important issue for me but, unless one is willing to pay substantial amounts of money (which I simply cannot), safety becomes simply an ideal; nowhere is ever truly "safe." The two past murders are indeed unsettling, but I'm also aware that murders happen everywhere.

That said, I will say this: it was not my first choice and I was not overly thrilled with the immediate area--that is, the grounds of the complex itself, the 7-11 across the street, and the fact that it's right off of a main road. I asked the leasing agent about community security and he responded by telling me that they encourage state troopers to rent there and that, while there is no security for the grounds, "Howard County police respond quickly." Just what the hell does that mean? I also do not particularly like that the doors to each building lacks a secure entrance.

But I did indeed take the apartment. Why, you ask? For one, it's quite literally up the road from my best friend who loves the area (though I never asked her specifically about the Berkshires); the leasing agent was beyond nice and accommodating to my situation; teachers' discount; it's down the block from a decent mall and a golf course. And, perhaps more than anything, the renovations that they made to the apartments are nothing short of extraordinary. As far as the accommodations and amenities, the time frame, and the price, it became my best option. Also, my apartment is not ground level--something I specifically asked for.

I'm a grown man from New York City and I have a large, strong, incredibly protective dog. All of that being said, are these "issues" of safety truly something worth trumping what is otherwise a considerable value?

I'm looking for honest, rational answers, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 26,421 times
Here is the thread I posted a few weeks ago asking about the place:

//www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...eally-bad.html

After reading all the bad stuff and being a bit concerned about moving here I still ended up signing a lease and moving in. Since I'm only starting work tomorrow I have pretty much been hanging around the apartment and looking out the window nonstop to see what all the fuss is about. Granted it's only been a few weeks since I moved in, but I don't get any sort of unsafe feeling being around here. A few friends of mine and I walked around at night over to the 7-11 and among the patrons were a yuppie 50 year old guy and some harmless looking 20 year olds. Everyone we've run into has been nice and I haven't witnessed anyone "up to no good".

Section 8 housing probably does attract a bit more crime than otherwise, but like I said, I feel safe walking around any time during the day, and I felt fine walking with some friends to the 7-11 at night. Maybe if my car or apartment get broken into I'll change my mind, but I'm not too concerned as of yet.

Being a grown man from NYC I'm sure you won't find this place to be a safety concern.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 15,054 times
Ah, thank you. Somehow I didn't even see that.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:54 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotesud View Post
I'm moving from NYC to Maryland and today I handed in a security deposit to live at the Berkshires of Columbia. I have read nothing but drastically negative reviews, but I have some notions of skepticism floating in my head.

Safety is a rather important issue for me but, unless one is willing to pay substantial amounts of money (which I simply cannot), safety becomes simply an ideal; nowhere is ever truly "safe." The two past murders are indeed unsettling, but I'm also aware that murders happen everywhere.

That said, I will say this: it was not my first choice and I was not overly thrilled with the immediate area--that is, the grounds of the complex itself, the 7-11 across the street, and the fact that it's right off of a main road. I asked the leasing agent about community security and he responded by telling me that they encourage state troopers to rent there and that, while there is no security for the grounds, "Howard County police respond quickly." Just what the hell does that mean? I also do not particularly like that the doors to each building lacks a secure entrance.

But I did indeed take the apartment. Why, you ask? For one, it's quite literally up the road from my best friend who loves the area (though I never asked her specifically about the Berkshires); the leasing agent was beyond nice and accommodating to my situation; teachers' discount; it's down the block from a decent mall and a golf course. And, perhaps more than anything, the renovations that they made to the apartments are nothing short of extraordinary. As far as the accommodations and amenities, the time frame, and the price, it became my best option. Also, my apartment is not ground level--something I specifically asked for.

I'm a grown man from New York City and I have a large, strong, incredibly protective dog. All of that being said, are these "issues" of safety truly something worth trumping what is otherwise a considerable value?

I'm looking for honest, rational answers, please.
You have already signed but if you had choices that were not one of the other crime apartments in Columbia you could have done better.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,967 times
I moved into Hannibal Grove/The Berkshires 9 years ago this coming January at the time it was called Hannibal Grove. I have been in the same townehouse since arriving here from NJ. I have walked to an from 7-11 many of days and nights even in the local parks as well as the Mall during the early hours and have no complaints. My car has never been broken into nor my home (knock on wood). So I am pretty satisfied here the schools are excellent as far as I am concerned. Now I have had run ins with the leasing office in the past but they have changed the staff several times in the past 9 years. The 2 murders were isolated instances, chilling and frightening as they were one being a few doors down from me but just as someone stated that can happen anywhere. I say all that to say this I would rather live here with 2 - 4 murders a year versus living somewhere that there are murders every night.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:46 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyqt View Post
I moved into Hannibal Grove/The Berkshires 9 years ago this coming January at the time it was called Hannibal Grove. I have been in the same townehouse since arriving here from NJ. I have walked to an from 7-11 many of days and nights even in the local parks as well as the Mall during the early hours and have no complaints. My car has never been broken into nor my home (knock on wood). So I am pretty satisfied here the schools are excellent as far as I am concerned. Now I have had run ins with the leasing office in the past but they have changed the staff several times in the past 9 years. The 2 murders were isolated instances, chilling and frightening as they were one being a few doors down from me but just as someone stated that can happen anywhere. I say all that to say this I would rather live here with 2 - 4 murders a year versus living somewhere that there are murders every night.
How about some place with no murders? There are lots if not most places that don't have any and you can live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland