Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 11,754 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a young woman planning to relocate to Columbia. I am moving from a small town in Missouri, about the same size as Columbia. The living cost here is very low and very safe community; I never lock my car or even my apt some times.

Like most towns, I understand that some areas in Columbia aren't safe or rent is very much higher than I am used to here but safety is my priority.

At this point the max rent I can afford is $1200 and possibly will be looking for a roommate.

What apts. complexes are safe?
Are 2bds/baths available with my price range? If not how much are 2bds/2baths in the safest areas?
What is the likelihood of finding a roommate?
I don't have to but I plan to work @VA hospital in DC is commuting tolerable?
Are there any commuters who could give me some suggestions about commuting?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 09:05 PM

5 posts, read 25,908 times
For $1200, you will most likely find a small 1 bedroom apartment. Keep in mind that our utilities here in Maryland is pretty high, too. If you are going to work in D.C., there are a few apartments I have lived before and they are very nice around the airport and also in Annapolis. Lynn Hill apartment by the airport provided free hot water and heat and it did help a lot when I used to live there. Convenient and safe neighborhood. If you want to get a good roommate, you are probably better off in Annapolis area. There are many Navy people who get allowance. So, you can rent a nice 2 bedroom apartment and rent the other one out easily to someone who has steady income. From Annapolis to D.C, you can avoid 95/295 traffic and take Rt 50 which will take you about 30 min to commute anyways.

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-05-2008 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: Please do not supply links to realtors.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:55 AM

7 posts, read 31,070 times
Also, check craigslist under both Baltimore and DC listings...Columbia is very nice but you will have to factor in your commute.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:51 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking about trying to commute from Columbia and if that doesn't work, may just live Columbia and work @ county hospital. I am also considering Annapolis but I would like more information about Columbia before I focus on Annapolis.
What is the downtown like?Are there ethinic resturants, comedy clubs, movie and music places, Are there things to do for young people? Do many people commute? do people use commuter trains? I understand the living cost is very high,do you think it affordable with 55K. Which apartments do you recommend/not ? Thanks again

Old 10-07-2008, 02:38 PM

385 posts, read 1,921,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsnurse View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking about trying to commute from Columbia and if that doesn't work, may just live Columbia and work @ county hospital. I am also considering Annapolis but I would like more information about Columbia before I focus on Annapolis.
What is the downtown like?Are there ethinic resturants, comedy clubs, movie and music places, Are there things to do for young people? Do many people commute? do people use commuter trains? I understand the living cost is very high,do you think it affordable with 55K. Which apartments do you recommend/not ? Thanks again
Columbia is a planned community that was built in the late sixties on Howard County farmland. It is comprised of nine "villages" that each have their own town center (a small strip mall that often contain a grocery store, a few restaurants and miscellaneous stores). All nine villages surround the town center, which encompasses The Mall.

Since Columbia is planned, there are strict rules for architecture and landscaping. Often, it is difficult to find things because the store you are interested doesn't look the way you expect it to, or it is screened by a row of trees or a berm.

It is more of a suburban feel, even though it is one of the second populated places in Maryland.

To answer some of your questions... there are numerous ethnic and American style restaurants (big chain and locally owned), some of my favorites are: Jesse Wong's Aesean Bistro (one of three restaurants Mr. Wong owns), House of India, Clyde's of Columbia, Fire Rock Grill, Victoria Gastro Pub, Frisco Grill, Leelynn's... I could name dozens more.

You got me on comedy clubs. Sonoma's (another restaurant/bar) and Frisco Grill have live local music and they may have comedians for entertainment.

The Columbia AMC Theatre (at the Mall) has an IMAX screen (something that must be new) - though Muvico Egyptian 24 at nearby Arundel Mills is has the real movie theatre experience.

For music, there are several bars/restaurants that have local music. There is also Merriweather Post Pavilion that has national acts throughout the summer. Also, you are not far from DC or Baltimore to see acts that don't make it to Merriwether on their tours.

Activities for young people... there are numerous bike trails and parks nearby. There are manmade lakes to canoe in. Lots of restaurants, etc., though not a lot of 'nightclubs'. You'd have to go to DC or Baltimore for that.

Commuting. There is the Howard Transit that connects different destinations of interest in Howard County (mall, courthouse, etc.). There are commuter buses that connect Columbia to Washington DC and Baltimore. There's the MARC Train that connects Baltimore and areas west with DC (not very convenient or cost effective if you live in Columbia). There are Metro Buses that terminate a few miles south of Columbia that one can use to go to DC. There is a light rail and bus fleet in Baltimore and a Metro rail (and the aforementioned Metro bus) system in DC. A lot of people drive though.

You would be okay with a single income of 55K.

I used to live in Avalon at Fairway Hills in the Dorsey Search village. It was a good complex to live in (even though it is close to a pocket of bad neighborhood). That is one thing about Columbia, the good and bad neighborhoods are intermingled and you really have to know the area to be sure. You said you'd be interested in a rent for $1200.... you could get a decent one bedroom for that amount, but you might want to look into a roomate if you want a nice apartment.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by 7th Direction; 10-07-2008 at 02:47 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 02:51 PM

385 posts, read 1,921,016 times
If you plan on working at Walter Reed, there is a commuter bus that connects the Mall in Columbia to Walter Reed Medical Center. Do a Google Search for Commuter Bus 915 or 929.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:48 PM

I appreciate it and thanks everyone!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 8,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Direction View Post
I used to live in Avalon at Fairway Hills in the Dorsey Search village. It was a good complex to live in (even though it is close to a pocket of bad neighborhood). That is one thing about Columbia, the good and bad neighborhoods are intermingled and you really have to know the area to be sure. You said you'd be interested in a rent for $1200.... you could get a decent one bedroom for that amount, but you might want to look into a roomate if you want a nice apartment.

I hope this helps!
My husband and I are relocating to columbia from seattle next week. We flew out to find an apt in two days and ended up signing a lease at fairway
did you like it?
what do you mean near a pocket of bad neighborhoods? =/
How close?

Thanks!!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:01 PM

37 posts, read 144,061 times
The Avalon at fairway hills seems to be a nice complex. What 7th direction was refering to is that in parts of wilde lake and harpers choice there are some areas and comlexes that are bad, some drug & gang issues, and other problems. The issues are growing but Columbia is still one of the best places in maryland to be if you put out the money to live in a decent neighborhood, like the one you are relocating to. And in Columbia, you can not really avoid this because for a lot of nice neighborhoods there is a not nice one a few minutes a way. But for the most part this will not affect you. Crime and problems do not tend to spill over 2 much, just like in most places. Even in baltimore city the people who put out the money to live in the nicer areas aren't as highly affected (canton, etc....). If you lived directly in a troublesome apartment complex you'd deal w/ more issues. You should be alright. There are a lot of complexes in columbia that are worse, and parts in baltimore city MUCH worse haha. But at the same time there is a possibility you could have found better. Go to www.apartmentratings.com, look at peoples' reviews. These peope have lived there. I've visiteda lot, never actually lived there. There are places that can seem nice but aren't as nice as we think sometimes, so i'm not 100% sure. I guess eveything is opinion, best to see a lot of different peoples' opinions of places than just a few.

Last edited by oneofthethree; 01-11-2009 at 06:13 PM..

Old 01-11-2009, 08:43 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinalayn View Post
My husband and I are relocating to columbia from seattle next week. We flew out to find an apt in two days and ended up signing a lease at fairway
did you like it?
what do you mean near a pocket of bad neighborhoods? =/
How close?

Thanks!!
The difference in the apartment complexes on Columbia Road say it all. The apartments bordering Little Pautauxent are very different then the ones bordering Rt 108. The closer to 108 you are the better off you are. Apartments are facing challenges based on how affordable they are and how much section 8 they take and at what price. The management offices are facing a challenge as the economy declines and relatives want to move in with each other and residents have trouble paying their bills. You might want to explore if you can the deliquency rate of tenants in each of the complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland