Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2006, 01:32 PM

14 posts, read 60,055 times

Advertisements

Does anyone out there know of any coastal towns in Maryland with a "downtown" for sopping/eating? I am thinking of relocating my family of 5 (kids 3,5 &7) from CA to MD. I'd love a downtown to walk to. I'd also like a year-round atmosphere, not a tourist area. Does a place like that exist? What are the best towns around Annapolis for raising a family?
ThANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2006, 04:50 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,316,852 times
I live about 20 miles south of Annapolis on the Bay. I live in the North Beach/ Chesapeake Beach area. We're more of a bedroom community for DC and Baltimore. Use to be a tourist area many years ago. For many years it was a blue-collar haven, but in the last 10 years white collar people have started to move into the area in greater numbers. There's a 1/2 mile long boardwalk (great for strolling) in North Beach. New condos going up in several projects. And several decent restaurants in the area. Relatively low crime rate, and very good school system. For major shopping trips, Annapolis is only 1/2 hour away. Might want to consider the place. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:20 PM

165 posts, read 926,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetterleins
Does anyone out there know of any coastal towns in Maryland with a "downtown" for sopping/eating? I am thinking of relocating my family of 5 (kids 3,5 &7) from CA to MD. I'd love a downtown to walk to. I'd also like a year-round atmosphere, not a tourist area. Does a place like that exist? What are the best towns around Annapolis for raising a family?
ThANKS!
You probably want North Beach or Chesapeake Beach if you're really looking for any resemblance of coastline. If you don't mind a little drive you can check out Calvert county or go more south to St. Mary's county to the Solomon's Island area.

I have found Chesapeake Beach to be nice especially for fun festive times like the 4th of July, etc. I don't know how the Anne Arundel county school system is being I'm more familiar with Calvert County. I certainly recommend southern maryland for raising children. I have a 14, 6, and 2 year old myself and we love our neighborhood. The kids can play and you can yell for them to come in when they are done and not really worry much about their safety. The neighbors watch out for each other. It's something I will miss when we sell soon.

John
removed

Last edited by Marka; 07-08-2006 at 01:05 PM..

Old 03-18-2007, 07:14 PM

13 posts, read 67,841 times
I am desperately searching this forum for info about the twin beach area. My husband is stationed at the Pentagon and we are looking for a waterfront community to buy a home and eventually retire in--a few years down the road. We have school age kids so the schools are a concern. We are about a week away from making an offer on a house in Chesapeake Beach. We went there a couple of weeks ago and only spent a couple of hours looking at houses. He's been back for a quick visit but we really like it and it seems like a great place. I need to know if it's a good place for little kids? Is there recreational soccer and/or little league type sports? Community pool? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:46 PM

46 posts, read 245,629 times
I am also interested in this area. I will be working in Lusby, but my girlfriend will also be looking for a new job once we get settled. I figure this area could be nice for us to live and her to be able to find a job with a relatively short commute.

The area seems nice but I still have only looked online. I wont be able to make a visit until May 1st.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,728 times
The Chesapeake Beach area sounds lovely. Are there any/many hospitals in the area - my husband, son and daughter-in-law are all in health care and will be seeking employment.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:27 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocating01 View Post
The Chesapeake Beach area sounds lovely. Are there any/many hospitals in the area - my husband, son and daughter-in-law are all in health care and will be seeking employment.
Since this is a very old thread, it might be better to start a new thread asking about hospitals near Chesapeake Beach.

In any case, the closest one is the new Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis. It is 25.7 miles away.

The next closest one is probably Southern Maryland (MedStar) Hospital in Clinton, MD. It is about 26 miles away. The next closest one is in St Mary's, over an hour away. So, the choices of employment are limited.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:46 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Since this is a very old thread, it might be better to start a new thread asking about hospitals near Chesapeake Beach.

In any case, the closest one is the new Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis. It is 25.7 miles away.

The next closest one is probably Southern Maryland (MedStar) Hospital in Clinton, MD. It is about 26 miles away. The next closest one is in St Mary's, over an hour away. So, the choices of employment are limited.

Prince Frederick Memorial Hospital in Calvert County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland