Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:56 PM

17 posts, read 60,475 times

Advertisements

In about a year my husband and I will FINALLY be able to settle after many moves around CA and the South West Area. While these areas have been good to us, they lack in some things I would like in a place where I settle FOR GOOD.

I lived the first 6 years of life on the east coast and spent a few summers there as an older kid and am enamored with it from my memories of it. I believe the somewhere on the East Coast I may able to find my perfect location. (Hopefully someone on here can help me!)

I'm posting this in several different states I feel may be ones that have towns or cities that fit this criteria, but if you have a suggestion of another town in a different state, I'm open to all ideas.

Here's what I am looking for in a new home and community.

I want to live somewhere:

- Where it's very green and lush with nature, and grass, and hills, and lots and lots of trees, especially deciduous trees.

- Where is gets four distinct seasons, of snow in the winter, rain and new growth in the spring, warm or hot weather in the summer, and deciduous trees that change color in the fall with all the traditional orange, red and yellow colors all over the landscape.

- Where the community has a central hub where locals hang out, (maybe like a main street or central park) and where community events take place. Where there are events that focus on local sports for kids, and theater and art. Where there are festivals and such several times a year or farmer's market's, etc.

- Where there are pick your own produce orchard and or farms no great than 60-120 miles outside of town.

- Where there are hiking or bike trails near by and or parks where one could walk, bike, or rollerblade in the warmer months.

- Where the town has a small town feel, although it doesn't have to be small. It could be anywhere from 500 to 50,000+ so long as it has a feeling of unity and such in the community with events, and rec center for youth and adults and what not.

- Where gardening is good and you don't have to work really hard (like 2-3 years) before you can get things to grow even remotely in your back yard soil.

- Where there is a major city of over 100,000 within about 60 miles that has a college or colleges, and a Sam's Club or Costco like shopping center.

- Where cost of living isn't through the roof. (Example standard house of 3br/2bath 1500 sq. ft. costing $700,000 is too much in my opinion) My thresh hold for a house of this type costing too much would be $400,000.

- Here is a strange request but I would like there to be a ballroom dance studio and theater group in the city/town. (If not in town I can settle for it being in the major city just outside of town)

- And here is the strangest request yet, but I would like to find a community that is fairly split in its political preference of both republican and democrat. Or at least not heavily one and really skimpy on another.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE TIME ANYONE TAKES TO RESPOND.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 PM

7,004 posts, read 11,301,565 times
You are asking for a lot, but I think the western part of the state best matches what you are looking for. Frederick, Washington, Allegany, and Garrett Counties all have large tracts of forests, mountains, and small towns you are looking for. Frederick and Washington Counties are between 30-70 miles from Washington and Baltimore and have pretty easy access to the metro centers. Allegany and Garrett County are more remote, more mountainous, and cheaper to live in.

Don't expect too much political diversity though. All four of these counties vote solidly Republican although the Democrats run fairly well in the urban centers.

A big question is what line of work you are in and how much money you expect to make as this differs greatly depending on where you live in Maryland.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You are asking for a lot, but I think the western part of the state best matches what you are looking for. Frederick, Washington, Allegany, and Garrett Counties all have large tracts of forests, mountains, and small towns you are looking for. Frederick and Washington Counties are between 30-70 miles from Washington and Baltimore and have pretty easy access to the metro centers. Allegany and Garrett County are more remote, more mountainous, and cheaper to live in.

Don't expect too much political diversity though. All four of these counties vote solidly Republican although the Democrats run fairly well in the urban centers.

A big question is what line of work you are in and how much money you expect to make as this differs greatly depending on where you live in Maryland.
Sorry I should have clarified that the political diversity can run county wide or state wide. It does not have to be limited to the city. I just don't want to end up in a state that is heavily one way or the other.

As for work, it's a non issue as I work at home and my home business can flourish anywhere world wide so long as I have the internet and a phone line.

I will look into the areas you mentioned. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 AM

7,004 posts, read 11,301,565 times
Maryland as a whole is dominated by the Democrats. They have a 2-1 registration advantage and almost always run in the table in statewide elections. I don't think that alone should dissuade you from looking into MD, but you should know in advance.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times
I may have missed it, but I didn't see anywhere in your post that Maryland is necessarily your future destination of choice (although I do realize its under the MD forum)?

As I was reading your post, the foothills of North Carolina kept coming to mind. Nearly everything you mentioned can be found in that area. Hickory, NC is a good example. You have great access to the mountains of NC and the beaches of both NC/SC are only a few hours away. Orchards/vineyards/farmers markets abound, 4 seasons, abundantly green, and certainly there are ample retail options. And $400,000 would get you a McMansion on a country hillside with several acres of land. The cities of Charlotte (big) and Asheville (small/medium) are within decent driving distance. As far as politics go, NC has historically been considered a moderate state that tends to flip flop in its political leanings.

Not sure if you're inclined to live in the South (I love the South), but it may be worth a look!

//www.city-data.com/city/Hickor...-Carolina.html

Good Luck

Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 AM

48 posts, read 158,730 times
I currently live in Raleigh, NC and after living all over the US and the world realized this has been the worst living experience of my life. The Hickory, NC the other poster mentioned is indeed in the foothills but you will never be allowed to "fit in" by the locals....no matter how hard you try. They are very clanish in that part of the state, so I would just avoid it all together. It would just be too much frustration, that is if you don't mind people lying to your face and pretending to be your friend. Yes, this has been a very bad experience. Can't wait to move back to Maryland.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taconis View Post
I currently live in Raleigh, NC and after living all over the US and the world realized this has been the worst living experience of my life. The Hickory, NC the other poster mentioned is indeed in the foothills but you will never be allowed to "fit in" by the locals....no matter how hard you try. They are very clanish in that part of the state, so I would just avoid it all together. It would just be too much frustration, that is if you don't mind people lying to your face and pretending to be your friend. Yes, this has been a very bad experience. Can't wait to move back to Maryland.
To each their own, everyone has different experiences. However, I would caution that Raleigh and Hickory are two very different parts of the state. Raleigh, the capitol, and Hickory (no real identity), are like apples and oranges. My guess is that by "clanish" the person means devoted to family, friends, and community. That, I cannot disagree with. In fact, it is that very thing that I believe the Northern states greatly lack, but i'll save that for another discussion.

Nevertheless, Hickory was just a suggestion. There are many other towns of similar offerings in NC to choose from, should the OP decide to look that direction.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:02 PM

160 posts, read 801,653 times
You just described Frederick Maryland.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
I would have said Wellsboro, PA, except it's a little far from the Costco/Sam's style of box (closest would be Elmira or Williamsport and they don't rise to that level). Also the local or county political diversity is somewhat wanting (heavily Republican) although PA as a whole is a swing state (unlike MD). Surrounded by hiking trails and also near a long bike trail through PA's "Grand Canyon" although the rollerblading would be better on the paved trail near neighboring Mansfield (with a state college campus).

Next might be State College or Bellefonte, PA. Getting closer to the Costco/Sam's level of box in the Harrisburg area. Conservative for a college town (Penn State), although the county did go for Obama this year that was a rare event. Paved bike trails all over town.

Hershey would also be within your cost threshold. Within 2 hrs drive of Baltimore and Philadelphia, 3-3.5 hrs to NY City on two routes, and Amtrak is also an option to NYC/Philly. Also a fairly long paved bike/rollerblade trail and community rec center. Although there are wooded hills nearby not quite so much on the foliage scale as would Wellsboro or State College. Big boxes and airport on edges of Harrisburg 8-12 miles away. Local politics solidly Republican and usually the county too although it too had an unprecedented blue tint in the last Presidential election. Winter's a little less on the scale.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Maryland as a whole is dominated by the Democrats. They have a 2-1 registration advantage and almost always run in the table in statewide elections. I don't think that alone should dissuade you from looking into MD, but you should know in advance.
It isn't a major determining factor by all means, but it would be nice if I could find a split rather than a heavy polarization...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland