Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:29 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times

Advertisements

We've lived all over the world. But I'm from the south. Most of the people I know (military and government) tend to see this area as a necessary evil. You just do your time and make the best of it. My dad always quotes..."If you want a friend in DC, bring your dog".

There is a ton to do. The schools in some areas are excellent. It's true...most of the people who are from this area are self-absorbed and have a seriously over-inflated opinion of their own importance.. But you'll find plenty of people who are from some of the friendlier parts of the country. Most of my friends are also southerners who are stuck up here for a couple of years. Rather than get annoyed with people up here, I find myself really feeling sorry for them. We'll go back to a kinder gentler life in a few months. Most of them will never know anything but life up here.

We just enjoy all the neat stuff to do while we are up here. Like anything else, it's what you make it. I haven't changed my behavior at all. I'll talk with folks in line at the grocery store. I talk to the cashiers and bank tellers. I talk to people on the Metro. I talk to my neighbors when I'm outside. Sometimes they look at me like I'm nuts. But most of the time I think they like it, even if they would never admit it.

For what it's worth, we've lived in both NOVA and Maryland. Northern Virginia is much friendly than Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 11:34 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
We've lived all over the world. But I'm from the south. Most of the people I know (military and government) tend to see this area as a necessary evil. You just do your time and make the best of it. My dad always quotes..."If you want a friend in DC, bring your dog".

There is a ton to do. The schools in some areas are excellent. It's true...most of the people who are from this area are self-absorbed and have a seriously over-inflated opinion of their own importance.. But you'll find plenty of people who are from some of the friendlier parts of the country. Most of my friends are also southerners who are stuck up here for a couple of years. Rather than get annoyed with people up here, I find myself really feeling sorry for them. We'll go back to a kinder gentler life in a few months. Most of them will never know anything but life up here.

We just enjoy all the neat stuff to do while we are up here. Like anything else, it's what you make it. I haven't changed my behavior at all. I'll talk with folks in line at the grocery store. I talk to the cashiers and bank tellers. I talk to people on the Metro. I talk to my neighbors when I'm outside. Sometimes they look at me like I'm nuts. But most of the time I think they like it, even if they would never admit it.

For what it's worth, we've lived in both NOVA and Maryland. Northern Virginia is much friendly than Maryland
I knew I wasn't insane . But seriously, for those families who are planning to move to the DC area, the outer beltway parts of Northern VA are just a little different than your average suburb. In fact, I would consider them a blessing, seeing as how they tend to somewhat shield out the elitism and self-absorbed attitudes of most of the DC area. Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about the MD suburbs.

My only disappointment about Northern VA is that the places where younger people and college grads tend to live - Arlington and Alexandria - are in places closer to DC where the snobbishness, self-absorbed, and elitist attitudes prevail (which is why I personally believe why the DC area has one of the highest # of young single people). If there are places where there are a plentiful of young people who don't carry around the cliquish and self-important attitudes around, I could really use some suggestions.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 04-29-2009 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland