Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:56 AM

47 posts, read 168,046 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I would like some information on the beaches in Maryland. We moved to Severna Park from NJ and loved going to the Jersey Shore. It was within the hour from our home.
Is there any place that is close to us that we can go to on the weekends. I know that the bridge (301/50) gets REALLY backed up. However. even so, what are some of my options? Also, we would really want info on the bay as well as the ocean beaches.

Thanks for all the info and support
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:14 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Sandy Point State Park

Sandy Point State Park (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/Southern/sandypoint.html - broken link)

North Beach

Town of North Beach, MD - Beach, Pier and Boardwalk Information

Chesapeake Beach

Chesapeake Beach - Home Page

Breezy Point

Breezy Point Beach & Campground

Point Lookout State Park

Point Lookout State Park (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/southern/pointlookout.html - broken link)

From nearest to furthest from you on the Western Shore. All are Bay beaches.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,131,406 times
From Sererna Park, you should be able to reach the Delaware beaches (ocean) in less than 2 hours with little traffic. 1.5 hours tops, most likely an hour and 45 minutes. Purchase an "EasyPass" to cross the Bay Bridge quicker.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:36 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,378,752 times
Bay beaches - You're really close to Sandy Point, which is just before you get to the Bay Bridge. If you want to go further south, there's North Beach and Breezy Point, which both have nets to keep the jellyfish out, and Flag Ponds Park which does not.

The positives of bay beaches are:

-close and little traffic going to and from them
-the sand is not usually that crowded (although Sandy Point sometimes fills up).
-they're located in parks so they're un-commercialized

The negatives:

-the bay is disgusting to swim in after a rainstorm, and even on a nice day, I wouldn't want to spend too much time in the water
-jellyfish sometimes make it through the nets
-the roped-off swimming areas tend to be small and crowded with kids
-the sand is rockier and not as good for kids to play in as the ocean beaches

Ocean beaches - The Rehoboth/Lewes/Dewey area in Delaware is the closest beach to the DC area. From Severna Park, you're looking at a 2 hour drive if there's no traffic. It's best to go at non-peak times (i.e. NOT Friday nights) and take alternate routes after you get across the bridge.

Personally I've found Cape Henlopen State Park to be the nicest beach in this area, and also the easiest beach to get to. Because it's a park, much like the bay beaches, it's un-commercialized.

Delaware Seashore State Park is also nice. I don't know what part of Jersey you're from, but if you've ever been to Island Beach State Park, Delaware Seashore State Park is pretty similar. It's a long strip with a couple of beaches and a lot of preserved land.

Rehoboth is pretty nice as well. The beaches are free (though the parking isn't), but not as nice as the state park beaches. It has a boardwalk and a family-oriented atmosphere comparable to Ocean City, NJ or Point Pleasant, NJ, though it's a bit smaller than those two.

Dewey is a frat-boy town with lots of bars. Not sure what to compare it to in Jersey, maybe Seaside Heights? Lewes is a quaint town known more for antiquing than the beach (there is no town beach there, only Cape Henlopen Park). I guess it would be somewhat comparable to Cape May in Jersey.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:27 PM

47 posts, read 168,046 times
Default Maryland Beaches

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am excited to investigate all of them. If there are any other secret "gems" (beaches that not everyone knows about); that only the locals would know, please tell me.

Thanks again

Old 07-11-2009, 06:57 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,131,406 times
If you are looking for quiet ocean and bay beaches check out Assateague Island just south of Ocean City Maryland. This island is both a State park and Federal Park. On one side is the ocean the other is Assateague bay.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:35 AM

264 posts, read 907,365 times
The Chesapeake Bay is a giant cesspool. You do not want to swim in a cesspool for obvious reasons. I grew up on the Bay and moved away. One of the many reasons I moved away from Maryland was the death of the Bay which I loved. Maryland's idea of cleaning up the Bay is putting a Save the Bay bumper sticker on a Volvo.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:52 PM

134 posts, read 332,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
The Chesapeake Bay is a giant cesspool. You do not want to swim in a cesspool for obvious reasons. I grew up on the Bay and moved away. One of the many reasons I moved away from Maryland was the death of the Bay which I loved. Maryland's idea of cleaning up the Bay is putting a Save the Bay bumper sticker on a Volvo.

No, the Bay is a great place to boat and swim.
I'm in the Bay almost every weekend from June thru mid Oct.

It's beautiful.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:08 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,181 times
ah..go to DE beaches isntead...a lil nicer..

Old 07-12-2009, 08:09 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
If you are looking for quiet ocean and bay beaches check out Assateague Island just south of Ocean City Maryland. This island is both a State park and Federal Park. On one side is the ocean the other is Assateague bay.
remember to take the bug spray if you go...and bring ur camera to take pics of the wild ponies..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland