Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 07:27 PM

25 posts, read 110,065 times

Advertisements

Hi I want some of your thoughts of Bike Week that happens every September in MD. I'm a motorcycle enthusiast and have been saying for years that I wanna go to it but someone said 100,000 people show up to it throughout the week. This September I wanna head down and finally go but want the thoughts of others that have been there. A few questions that people can address are....

Is it worth going to? Do they have a lot of dealers? I'm always looking for new parts, accessories, clothing, etc.

Is it safe? Any reports of fights or crime happening at these kind of things?

Should I go alone or can I bring my kids? My son likes to look at the bikes and all and I wanna bring my kids but I think something like that can get rough. I know this isn't a Hells Angels or some type of gang environment but I don't want to put my kids in a bad situation. I don't need them around fights, violence, or even raunchy broads walking around with their **** hanging out lol.

Can you walk around and not have people walking into you or worry about your wallet disappearing? 100,000 people over 4 days can get chaotic.

Guess I'm just seeing if it's good times or not?

Also any good hotels / motels with indoor swimming pools around the event. When I'm usually down in MD I'm usually in Ocean City but I stay at the same motel with no swimming pool. I wanna try a different place and go to a place that has a pool all year round so the kids can go swimming. Kitchenettes in the rooms are also great or at least a refrigerator so the kids can have their snacks and drinks in the room.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 03:59 AM

54 posts, read 187,647 times
While I dont have all the answers to your questions I can tell you that I dont think its the best place for kids. Some raunchy clothing on some of the biker chicks.

Be very safe and keep your eyes open. Generally we hear about a biker getting seriously injured or killed from getting hit by a car during that week.

I've seen a fair amount of dealer tents set up. I dont know where they are holding it this year. In the past it was at the race track. Then they moved it over to the campground. So not sure where it is this time around.

If you stay at a hotel there are tons of nice new hotels in OC - I would just check them out on Orbitz or something similar to see what amenities they have. Since I live on the Eastern Shore I cant really say what hotel is the best since I have never stayed in any.

Good luck, be safe and have fun!

Old 07-17-2009, 07:01 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,571 times
If you are asking if bike week is safe or not I would have to say that you probably don't belong there... My parents went two years ago and said it was a little too loud and crowded for their tastes...

Old 07-18-2009, 07:34 PM

25 posts, read 110,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers333 View Post
While I dont have all the answers to your questions I can tell you that I dont think its the best place for kids. Some raunchy clothing on some of the biker chicks.

Be very safe and keep your eyes open. Generally we hear about a biker getting seriously injured or killed from getting hit by a car during that week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
If you are asking if bike week is safe or not I would have to say that you probably don't belong there... My parents went two years ago and said it was a little too loud and crowded for their tastes...
Thanks Kimmers & Tercel for your input. We have a show here in NJ every year but it's all the locals and it is only a one day thing so I know I can bring my kids to that and not worry. You said pretty much what I thought was the correct answer. I know what goes on in Sturgis & Daytona during bike week but was hoping this was maybe more laid back and calm. Oh well just have to wait till my son is older and then maybe we can cruise down on bikes together lol.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:29 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
I've been to bike week twice. The bikers aren't toublesome. The only problem I've had is trying to sleep at 3am when bikers are still riding their bikes up and down coastal hwy. September is the best month to take your family to family. The weather is beautiful, the water is still warm, and there are no lines at restaurants.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:05 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birney30 View Post

Also any good hotels / motels with indoor swimming pools around the event. When I'm usually down in MD I'm usually in Ocean City but I stay at the same motel with no swimming pool. I wanna try a different place and go to a place that has a pool all year round so the kids can go swimming. Kitchenettes in the rooms are also great or at least a refrigerator so the kids can have their snacks and drinks in the room.

Thanks
If you're going with kids and you want a kid-friendly place with year-round swimmimg, check out the Francis Scott Key resort on Ocean Gateway in West Ocean City...they have an indoor pirate-themed pool with slides and sprayers, a volleyball net, and a hot tub for the adults....we just came back from there and my kids loved the indoor pool, as well as their outdoor pirate ship sprayground as much as the beach. They also have shuttle buses that make a continuous loop from the hotel to the beach/boardwalk, saving you from driving and paying for parking in OC. Plus, the prices are very reasonable....and our room had a kitchenette.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:22 AM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
The OC bus system is $2 ride all day.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:29 PM

134 posts, read 332,244 times
I'll be there!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
I believe Seacrets usually has something going on the the bikers during bike week.

I remember the time OCC was there. Mikey just sat there cold-faced signing autographs w/o acknowledging the fans. By contrrast, the other OCC employee (Vinnie?) was pretty engaging with the fans.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:43 PM

134 posts, read 332,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I believe Seacrets usually has something going on the the bikers during bike week.

I remember the time OCC was there. Mikey just sat there cold-faced signing autographs w/o acknowledging the fans. By contrrast, the other OCC employee (Vinnie?) was pretty engaging with the fans.

I hope so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland