Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:01 AM

5 posts, read 26,421 times

Advertisements

I visited the area a bit ago and checked out some apartments and the only one I really liked in my price range was The Berkshires of Columbia. I'm just a recent college grad getting a one bedroom apartment. My question is: Are the Berkshires of Columbia really as bad as some people say? I'm trying to separate the bs from the actual reviews online and I'd like some real peoples opinions if possible. I read there were two murders in the area or something but I understand stuff happens from time to time. I also read that people who shun the Berkshires praise the complexes right next to them so I don't really understand how there can be that much of a difference across the street.

I know some areas have more crime than others so I'm not looking for a comparison to other neighborhoods, but more of an overall view of how things are around there. Like I said I just got out of college and most things don't really bother me, I'm not trying to raise a family here. I just want an honest opinion of the place. Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:45 AM

385 posts, read 1,921,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
I visited the area a bit ago and checked out some apartments and the only one I really liked in my price range was The Berkshires of Columbia. I'm just a recent college grad getting a one bedroom apartment. My question is: Are the Berkshires of Columbia really as bad as some people say? I'm trying to separate the bs from the actual reviews online and I'd like some real peoples opinions if possible. I read there were two murders in the area or something but I understand stuff happens from time to time. I also read that people who shun the Berkshires praise the complexes right next to them so I don't really understand how there can be that much of a difference across the street.

I know some areas have more crime than others so I'm not looking for a comparison to other neighborhoods, but more of an overall view of how things are around there. Like I said I just got out of college and most things don't really bother me, I'm not trying to raise a family here. I just want an honest opinion of the place. Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out.
There were two murders in the area last year. One was at the 7-11 across the street from The Berkshires. The other in one of the apartments of The Berkshires.

I've had friends who have had friends rent there (It used to be called Hannibal's Grove before they changed their name) and there were several break ins on first floor apartments and many car break ins.

A contractor who works at my office lives there. He says he's never felt threatened, but he said that he has witnessed a few car break ins.

Another friend of mine got held up by police because they had confused him with a "person of interest" who lived in the complex.

I lived at the Avalon at Fairway Hills complex - It is a much nicer apartment complex, but there was fear that the crime from The Berkshires would trickle over. Avalon did not have any serious crime problems, there was one car break in in the two years I lived there and all tenants were alerted to it so they would be careful. Even though it was near The Berkshires, it was still about a 1/2 mile away. A lot of crime I suspect that happens at The Berkshires are crimes of opportunity - the complex is located on a bike path with a foot bridge that is connected to the community pool - Easy escape and lots of places to hide for any wrongdoers.

You have to consider some factors like the number of Section 8 housing units a complex will rent out. The higher the number of section 8 rentals, the more likely the overall crime will increase. That's just the way it is unfortunately.

Last edited by 7th Direction; 07-10-2008 at 09:57 AM..

Old 07-10-2008, 10:42 AM

5 posts, read 26,421 times
Thanks for the response. I checked out the Avalon complex but the only things they had open for when I wanted to move in were $1300+ and the Berkshires is ~$1000.

I guess it's just strange to me that one apartment complex could have so much more crime than ones down the road. I'm originally from an area that was a lot more divided up and there was just one bad section of town instead of small pockets. I'm not too concerned about car break-ins because my car isn't anything special and the only stuff I leave in open view (or in the car at all for that matter) is junk I throw across the seat when I'm in a rush.

My main concerns lie with my girlfriend who will potentially be coming and going when I'm not around. One thing I couldn't stand would be her getting harassed or worse. She's from the DC area so she's used to some stuff that goes on in city environments though.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I checked out the Avalon complex but the only things they had open for when I wanted to move in were $1300+ and the Berkshires is ~$1000.

I guess it's just strange to me that one apartment complex could have so much more crime than ones down the road. I'm originally from an area that was a lot more divided up and there was just one bad section of town instead of small pockets. I'm not too concerned about car break-ins because my car isn't anything special and the only stuff I leave in open view (or in the car at all for that matter) is junk I throw across the seat when I'm in a rush.

My main concerns lie with my girlfriend who will potentially be coming and going when I'm not around. One thing I couldn't stand would be her getting harassed or worse. She's from the DC area so she's used to some stuff that goes on in city environments though.
absolutely not do you want to live there. There is more section 8 housing there then you realize. The original name of the complex was Hannibal Grove. It was however known as Cannibal Grove thus the name change. There is a reason it is the least expensive complex. You get what other people can afford to pay with government assistance.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:

You might be okay if you get a second floor apartment. Less likely someone will just bust the glass door to get at your stuff. Unfortunately, a lot of nice rentals in Columbia are on the pricey side. I wouldn't feel safe at The Berkshires, but I don't know how your girlfriend will feel about it.

When I was living there, my parents would always look for 'cheaper' places because they couldn't believe I spent $1365 a month on a one bedroom (I lived with my husband,and he helped with the rent). Each time: Look! This one's only $900 a month! - Yeah but it is in a dangerous part of Columbia. I've had friends who lived in the Oakland Mill Village (on the other side of Columbia) that had their cars repeatedly broken into AND STOLEN.

Where are you from originally? The way Columbia is designed, albeit is unique, blending mixed incomes in a suburban utopia - well at least, that's what Rouse had intended. The layout actually makes it so there are little pockets of bad crime all over the place with easy escape routes, i.e. bike paths (so even the nicer communities are at risk).

One way I've learned to get a feel for the community is to drive through it at night. Take a look at the vehicles parked there. If there are a lot of trashed cars, or if there are average looking cars with a few expenisve/tricked out cars, beware. You can also see if there are people loitering - not good. I haven't tried it, but you could also ask a local pizza delivery person on their take of the community. They learn really fast what neighborhoods and what are bad.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:34 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,884 times
If you don't want to pay a lot in rent your best option might be to rent a basement or have roomates until you can afford to live in a safer apartment alone.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 PM

Do pizza companies deliver to Berkshire?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Do pizza companies deliver to Berkshire?
I don't know. Maybe not! A friend of mine used to be a pizza delivery person for Domino's at the Wilde Lake Town Centre. He gave us advice on where and where not to live when we were looking for apartments.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,960 times
Default Fine for me!

I had to make a profile just because I was reading these reviews. Let me first say that I am NOT a member of the staff! I am, actually, a young recent college graduate, just like you. I'm going into my second year of living here. I'm in a one bedroom apartment, and things have been pretty smooth for me. I haven't had any bug or mold problems. No noise disturbances (I live on the top floor, though). My first maintenance problem happened within the first week I moved in (not good), and they didn't fix it until I threatened to call the BBB and the AG (even worse). However, since then, my maintenance issues have been handled quickly and nicely. I lived in an apartment in another suburb of Baltimore for my last two years of college, and I feel waaay more safe here than I did there. I believe those killings happened in 2006, but I could be wrong. The young man that committed the crimes had been let off for numerous criminal offenses before he killed those people, so I think it's more a fault of the police than the Berkshires for that...the one major complaint I do have is the prices of the utilities. I called BGE (the gas and electric company) before I moved in to find out the average price of utilities a month, and they told me approx. $70. I pay more than twice that, and I live alone! I think it's a little excessive.

The name change, from Hannibal Grove to The Berkshires of Columbia, happened when the parent company changed over. Since I've moved in, they've changed assistant managers, and things are getting better and better each day. The old assistant manager was horrible. I really do like the community. I think the new parent company is actively trying to fix the bad rap that this community has. Let me say, however, that I live on the leasing office side, and my floormate happens to be a staff member. I've heard that the leasing office side is the best side, and obviously a building with a staff member living in it probably won't have as many noise, bug, etc. problems that the others might.

Honestly, though. For my first place "all on my own", I don't think I could have done better.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Direction View Post
I don't know. Maybe not! A friend of mine used to be a pizza delivery person for Domino's at the Wilde Lake Town Centre. He gave us advice on where and where not to live when we were looking for apartments.
the fact that there are issues speaks volumes about the need to be selective where you live. Look at the cost of a unit, Secition 8 etc and decide for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland