Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:23 PM

6 posts, read 16,583 times

Advertisements

We would like to move to the Annapolis area and are focusing on Edgewater. The homes seem to be slightly more affordable there than Davidsonville and Severna Park. We like the looks of Mayo Elementary because greatschools.org rates it as a 10/10. However, when I started to look at how safe the area is, I saw that it ranks as a 28/100 on neighborhoodscout.com (100 being the safest). That is a really horrible rating!!! Is Edgewater really that dangerous? Outstanding schools and safety are our top priorities. Thank you so much to whoever responds to this. We don't know the area and this is an EXTREMELY important move for us- it is where we are going to raise our family and spend the majority of our lives.

Also- is the curriculum still challenging in the Anne Arundel County Public Schools, even thought they got rid of their gifted program a few years ago? Are families who value education leaving the county and going elsewhere? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 06:59 PM

Also- my husband will work in DC. He thinks that the best commute will be from Crofton, Edgewater, or Davidsonville.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:10 PM

132 posts, read 325,196 times
Edgewater is actually really nice. Some staff and students at South River High refer to Edgewater as "redneck" and other things, but it's not bad at all. The school in Edgewater (South River) is a STEM magnet high school. Students who live in the district of Broadneck, Annapolis, Severna Park, Arundel, and Southern High Schools and are in the STEM program also attend South River for high school. It attracts many people. The only problem with South River High is that the school is really crowded. There are kids who have to eat in the stairs during the lunch period because the cafeteria doesn't have enough seats. There is a kiosk in the auditorium lobby during the nest hour period for students who do not want to eat in the cafeteria, but they all have to crowd hallways because there is no place for them to go if they're not in any clubs, or with a teacher. Edgewater and Davidsonville are the more rural suburbs of Annapolis. Crofton is the suburb with more shops. Also, houses in both the South River and Arundel districts are on demand because they are both very nice schools. They are also both in the Annapolis area. Broadneck an Severna Park are also very good schools, and are also around Annapolis. Chesapeake High School is also starting to become a school district on demand. Anne Arundel County has many great public schools. The high schools are nothing below average, and they have 5 high schools that break many state records (Severna Park, Arundel, Broadneck, South River, and Chesapeake). You should be fine in any of their school districts, but if you are fishing for Anne Arundel's "best," you'll probably like the 5 school districts I mentioned. Although, if you work in DC, I would stay among the South River or Arundel district. They're the closest places in the Annapolis area to DC.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:57 PM

What about Davidsonville? It appears safer there. Do any of the homes get public water?

Old 11-02-2014, 06:46 AM

687 posts, read 915,704 times
Edgewater is great, you'll have no problems there. Of course if your frame of reference is based in SP or Davidsonville then I can understand your worries.

For those of us who grew up with Glen Burnie and running around Brooklyn on occasion....it's fine. Annapolis/Riva/Davidsonville/Edgewater is one of the ritziest areas of the country. Pleasant livin'. Enjoy your sailboat sir or ma'am.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:38 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieSmith12 View Post
What about Davidsonville? It appears safer there. Do any of the homes get public water?
Davidsonville is very rural. I wouldn't even call it a place, but a rural area with a few subdivisions here and there. You would have to drive to Edgewater, Bowie and Crofton for almost anything and Central (214) is a very busy rural road.

Edgewater has nice and even very affluent parts and some run down parts. It's safe and quiet and has some decent local shopping and is very close to shopping in Annapolis both near the mall and downtown. Edgewater is very blue collar if not a bit redneck, but there is a good mix of people. I think you get a lot more for you money there.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:57 AM

Thank you for the help. We absolutely cannot afford a sailboat, mapmd, I'm just a mom who wants the best for her kids. I grew up in Pittsburgh where there are top schools, affordable housing, and safe, family-friendly neighborhoods. So it's just hard for me to accept that my children will have to grow up in an area worse than where I grew up. Thank you.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 16,780 times
I moved to the Anne Arundel area from Montgomery County couple years ago. Unfortunately, MD is a very expensive state to live at. I will say public school is better in Davidsonville and Severna Park if you have kids, otherwise it is a lot of kids with no aspiration in life other that drinking and using drugs in the area and a lot of pregnant high schools girls. The more you go south in AA co. it is really nothing to do. Calvert county (Huntington) seems to have very good schools ratings . Also, I will recommend you check the website for child molesters; seems like they are a few around the area. Another area that has good schools is Ellicott City.
You will find bigger houses with land in AA co, but if the deal sounds too good I will suggest to check the schools and crime reports. I work in downtown Silver Spring (1 mile from DC- Georgia Avenue) and it takes me 1hr- 1:15 in a good day. I leave home to work at 5:50am.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:15 AM

132 posts, read 325,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist895 View Post
I will say public school is better in Davidsonville and Severna Park if you have kids, otherwise it is a lot of kids with no aspiration in life other that drinking and using drugs in the area and a lot of pregnant high schools girls.

That is not true at all. Anne Arundel County is home to many outstanding school districts besides those two. Severna Park, Arundel, Broadneck, South River, and Chesapeake High Schools are all way above average, and also have very good reputations throughout the state. These are very competitive schools. Northeast, Old Mill, and Southern High Schools are slowly improving, too. The other schools are slowly making a start as well. Also, all the Anne Arundel Schools are fine. If your kid wants to succeed, they can do it any school. I've seen it happen at schools that could be considered worse than schools like Glen Burnie, Annapolis, or Meade. Saying that these schools are filled with kids who have no aspiration in life other than drinking or using drugs, and that there are a lot of pregnant high schoolers is a generalization, and far from true about ANY high school. Every high school has hard working students.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 AM

38 posts, read 43,997 times
I also have been researching this area. Moving from New Jersey and trying to find out as much useful information as possible! I have two young children so the school system is very important to me as well. I havent seen the greatest reviews online so Im a little worried... Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland