Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 10:38 AM
PLD PLD started this thread

6 posts, read 31,523 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Texas to Maryland for only one year and will definitely move to another state. We paid 6% sale tax in Texas for our 2 cars. My family have 2 cars ( 7 years old and 4 years old) that we will bring with us. I look up the DMV website and read some of the other posts but I still very confused about what is required. Anybody has an estimate of how much does it cost to register our 2 vehicle? Any other options to save some money on that?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 03:01 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
You'll have to go through through the MD safety inspection for both (that's a one time thing unlike other states that do it on a reguler basis) and a couple months after registering the cars you'll have to do the air pollution test (that will depend on where you are. Most Counties have it.)

Your 7 year old car will probably be a couple hundred dollars the newer one will be 5% of the Blue Book value.

New to Maryland Titling and Registering Your Vehicle Information

Old 04-10-2010, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,632 times
Well, I think I really depends on the govenment. Coz' every country has diff tax payments depends on the economy they are in too..

AiM Mobile Inspection is a national leading car inspection service with over 600+ mobile inspectors nationwide.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel88 View Post
Well, I think I really depends on the govenment. Coz' every country has diff tax payments depends on the economy they are in too..

AiM Mobile Inspection is a national leading car inspection service with over 600+ mobile inspectors nationwide.

Counties have no jurisdiction over car titling in MD. You can renew your tags once you get them at the County Treasurer's office in most Counties.

Any vehicle inspection facility in MD has to be licensed by MVA.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:24 PM
PLD PLD started this thread

6 posts, read 31,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You'll have to go through through the MD safety inspection for both (that's a one time thing unlike other states that do it on a reguler basis) and a couple months after registering the cars you'll have to do the air pollution test (that will depend on where you are. Most Counties have it.)

Your 7 year old car will probably be a couple hundred dollars the newer one will be 5% of the Blue Book value.

New to Maryland Titling and Registering Your Vehicle Information
I thought if I already paid the 6% tax in another state, I will only pay $100 tax to register the car?

Old 04-10-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD View Post
I thought if I already paid the 6% tax in another state, I will only pay $100 tax to register the car?
The 5% I said earlier should have been 6%, the rate changed a couple years ago and I forgot.

What I see from the link is that you have 60 days after establishing residency in MD to switch your tags and qualify for the set off from your previous state.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 AM

332 posts, read 1,280,475 times
Call MVA and ask, they will give you the ~amount that you will owe. I registered an '05 and '07 from a state with 5% and it cost between 300-450 each plus inspection cost (50 - 190 depending on where you go) and the air test later which is 14.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:18 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel88 View Post

As was said, you have no clue. Spam elsewhere.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:10 PM

205 posts, read 824,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD View Post
I am moving from Texas to Maryland for only one year and will definitely move to another state. We paid 6% sale tax in Texas for our 2 cars. My family have 2 cars ( 7 years old and 4 years old) that we will bring with us. I look up the DMV website and read some of the other posts but I still very confused about what is required. Anybody has an estimate of how much does it cost to register our 2 vehicle? Any other options to save some money on that?
You are looking at about $400 per vehicle for the MD license, transfer tax, titling, plates, safety inspection, and emissions testing. That's about what it came out to for me once everything was completed. I moved from PA to MD. A word of advice is to get your MD license before you attempt to register your vehicles. Get your license and ask them to transfer your waiting ticket to the registration/plates area for a quick transition so you don't have to wait all over again. If you try to get registration/plates first they'll charge you 6% sales tax for being an out of state resident. They will apparently reimburse you once you get the MD license, but that's really convoluted since they'll already have your money.

Do not bring one item to prove your residency and purchase of your vehicles. Bring a bunch of stuff. They will try to reject multiple papers that should serve as proof, but tend to give up if you keep pulling more out to show them.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:27 AM

1 posts, read 5,814 times
I just found out I have to pay $2000+ to register my vehicle (taxes, fees) because my husband didn't change his drivers license when we were stationed out of state for two years!! In that timeframe we bought a Tahoe (in VA). Now, back in MD, they're trying to bankrupt me in taxes! I can't afford it so my car sits in my driveway with expired tags. I paid 6% sales tax on it in VA, now I gotta pay MD 6% sales tax, too. I just don't know what I'm going to do. I can't afford the tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: