Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:29 AM

53 posts, read 195,378 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I sent a mail to RVM of Massachusetts about my situation and got answer about it.. so I am copying my msg and the reply here:

"Hello,
My name is Metin. I am a collage student in Turkey. I am attending
cultural exchange programs at school and going other countries. I was in
NJ and NY last summer vis "work and travel" summer program. I am coming
Massachusetts this summer.

I want to travel all around US as much as I can but I need driver's
license. I took driving lessons but the exam is on 30 July in my country
but I will be in US on 14 July so I don't have time for it.

I was wondering if I can get US driver's license or temprary driver's
license in Massachusetts. I am holding J1 visa and I have social
security number. If I am eligible to get driver's license how many days
to get tests?

Thank you.
Have a great day.
Metin Cabuk."

and the answer is:

"Hello,
In order to obtain a drivers license, you must pass the written and road
tests. Please refer to our License Information section for a list of
requirements and necessary identification. Please use the following
link:
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/license/"

I guess that means I am eligible to get Massachusetts DL.

So I wonder Do I need to take drivers education course in Massachusetts to get DL? and how many days does it takes to take road and other tests?

thank you very much for the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 07:16 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Why don't you go to the Mass RMV site and find their customer service phone number and talk to one of their representatives yourself?

No. You don't need to take a drivers education course to get a drivers license, but it helps the process.

I believe what you need to do is just walk in to take the written part of the licensing test. You may want to read the Mass RMV driving manual before you take that test. And once you pass that written test, you will be issued a learners permit. After that, you will need to take the driving test, and that needs to be scheduled.

Otherwise, depending on where you want to travel in the US, you can start off with using public transportation, Greyhound bus lines and Amtrak trains.

If you were planning on renting a car, you will need a valid drivers license. But if you are under the age of 25, you may not be able to rent one.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why don't you go to the Mass RMV site and find their customer service phone number and talk to one of their representatives yourself?

No. You don't need to take a drivers education course to get a drivers license, but it helps the process.

I believe what you need to do is just walk in to take the written part of the licensing test. You may want to read the Mass RMV driving manual before you take that test. And once you pass that written test, you will be issued a learners permit. After that, you will need to take the driving test, and that needs to be scheduled.

Otherwise, depending on where you want to travel in the US, you can start off with using public transportation, Greyhound bus lines and Amtrak trains.

If you were planning on renting a car, you will need a valid drivers license. But if you are under the age of 25, you may not be able to rent one.
Thanks for the reply but I still wonder if there is a waiting period between written test and driving test. if there is how long it is? Because there is a waiting period in NY like 2-3 mounths.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 AM
miu

Just CALL the Mass RMV yourself. In just ONE phone call, all your questions can be accurately answered. Most of us here are longtime US residents, so we've never had to deal with a situation such as yours.

By calling the RMV directly, you will be guaranteed getting toe correct information quickly.

BTW what car are you planning to drive? Will you be renting one?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:15 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
It takes awhile to get an appointment for the road test part of the exam.

Also, if you aren't a citizen of the state, I don't understand how you would get a Massachusetts license.

Are you a licensed driver in Turkey?

Old 07-07-2010, 11:37 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,740,703 times
I wonder what the rush is because the OP seems to be checking it out in NY, Chicago and Seattle also...maybe I am a little paranoid but cannot understand the rush. The OP has stated in other posts that they want this in 3-4 days. My gut is telling me something is not right here.

Last edited by crazyworld; 07-07-2010 at 12:05 PM..

Old 07-07-2010, 12:54 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I wonder what the rush is because the OP seems to be checking it out in NY, Chicago and Seattle also...maybe I am a little paranoid but cannot understand the rush. The OP has stated in other posts that they want this in 3-4 days. My gut is telling me something is not right here.
I think that the OP is excited about arriving for his summer stay in the US, and his ideal vacation includes renting a car and driving it all over the place. IMO it's not going to go as he's fantasized.

He's still not said how old he is. He's also not said where he's getting this car that he wants to drive around.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:56 PM

If you're talking about me, I am 25 years old. I don't have DL in my country. my brother is studying in NYC and I will use his car for a short period (like 2-3 weeks) for travelling with my friend.

Last edited by agreeta; 07-07-2010 at 03:14 PM..

Old 07-07-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I want it in 3-4 days because I can not stay somewhere I am normally not living.. Actually I am checking where can I get it as fast as possible.. I will be in US for 2 mounths. I can not get it in NY or NJ in a short period.. so I started checking other states. My gf living in Seattle and I checked it first. but as I figure it out i can not get it in Seattle.. Then my friend told me he got his DL in Chicago easily. I couchsurfed in Chicago. So I was having a place to stay. But while I was asking those, people always told me to call DMV. But now I am not in US so I emailed them. As they said I can get it from Massachusetts.

Now I am trying to figure out how long does it take?

Dont worry if I can find a car(We will use my brother's car) and will it be exciting to drive around US. We have done it in Europe with my friend already via Europen Union Projects. But US is big country and there so much place to see.. I need to drive too. Also to get a DL in my country costs 600$ and takes 4 mounths. It's crazy.

I hope everything is clear for you guys..

Old 07-07-2010, 03:45 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
You can't get one in Massachusetts. If you had a driver's license in Turkey, you could get an International Driver's Permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts